Dilemma between Texas Tech and University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
merichard87

Re: Dilemma between Texas Tech and University of Houston

Postby merichard87 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:23 am

You guys and your crackwhore stories and funny as shit. And yes the Tre has its ups and does but shit nobody is making him live in the Tre. There are so many other areas of Houston that he could live in and still be pretty close to campus. And like an above poster said, if you are somewhere walking around at 2 AM in the morning on any college campus I'm pretty sure you would see a wealth of undesirable activities.

The bottom line is that UH will give you a "better" law education in the sense that there would be more opportunities and a bigger job market in Houston than Lubbock. And who df wants to live in Lubbock for 3 years? I'm URM and rednecks make me nervous. HTH

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:34 am

darknightbegins wrote:It takes money to make money and you get what you pay for are terms that come to mind when I think about law school. Hell I don't want 6 figure debt and because of the type of law I am interested in I am willing to go to a somewhat lower ranked school to avoid 100K debt. However Houston is a Tier 1 school and Tech is a TTT school in a state with already good law schools. 100K debt may not take decades to pay off. We don't know what kind of cash the OP's wife has or how many kids he has. If he had 100K coming out he could always go the IBR route if this was really an issue.

If OP was single I would say don't worry so much about 100K in the hole. Coming out of Houston you probably could be looking at a salary starting around 50-70K. It wouldn't take "decades" to pay back 100K if you are looking at a starting salary at that range. Sure you might have to live lean for the first few years, but (hopefully) your salary should go up as you get older. However, the OP does have kids which makes things more difficult.

I am a selfish only child, however, if I had a family I would likely go the safer route and go with Tech. Got to put your family first in a situation like this. Coming out of Tech with no debt could be close to a sure thing, landing a good job necessarily isn't. If you are young and single I think the reward of Houston outweighs the risk, but if you have a family you should be a bit more risk adverse.

I just want to point out a couple things. Firstly, the OP never stated he had a family; it was another poster considering Tech. Secondly, UH is not Tier 1; it is tier 2. Tier 1 = 1-50, and Tier 2= 51-100. Thirdly you argue that you would take on $100,000+ in debt because you want biglaw. What if you don't make the grades to land biglaw? What if you decide you find a higher calling and would rather pursue some other area? You're following the ideology the above poster called "exteremly irresponsible"

btw- nice post lucidity

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:38 am

Seriously. Lubbock is god-awful. It's like a barren wasteland of suck.

No one said you have to live right next to campus at UofH.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:04 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:It takes money to make money and you get what you pay for are terms that come to mind when I think about law school. Hell I don't want 6 figure debt and because of the type of law I am interested in I am willing to go to a somewhat lower ranked school to avoid 100K debt. However Houston is a Tier 1 school and Tech is a TTT school in a state with already good law schools. 100K debt may not take decades to pay off. We don't know what kind of cash the OP's wife has or how many kids he has. If he had 100K coming out he could always go the IBR route if this was really an issue.

If OP was single I would say don't worry so much about 100K in the hole. Coming out of Houston you probably could be looking at a salary starting around 50-70K. It wouldn't take "decades" to pay back 100K if you are looking at a starting salary at that range. Sure you might have to live lean for the first few years, but (hopefully) your salary should go up as you get older. However, the OP does have kids which makes things more difficult.

I am a selfish only child, however, if I had a family I would likely go the safer route and go with Tech. Got to put your family first in a situation like this. Coming out of Tech with no debt could be close to a sure thing, landing a good job necessarily isn't. If you are young and single I think the reward of Houston outweighs the risk, but if you have a family you should be a bit more risk adverse.

I just want to point out a couple things. Firstly, the OP never stated he had a family; it was another poster considering Tech. Secondly, UH is not Tier 1; it is tier 2. Tier 1 = 1-50, and Tier 2= 51-100. Thirdly you argue that you would take on $100,000+ in debt because you want biglaw. What if you don't make the grades to land biglaw? What if you decide you find a higher calling and would rather pursue some other area? You're following the ideology the above poster called "exteremly irresponsible"

btw- nice post lucidity

Fuck I thought OP said he had kids, my mistake. Guess that serves me right for posting at such a late hour. I didn't argue that OP should take on the debt because of biglaw, I said if your starting salary is between 50-70K (which is reasonable without Biglaw) then paying off 100K, not 200K though, in debt isn't the biggest hurdle in the world. And if the OP did want to work for government or go to a "higher calling" I said he could always go IBR or another Federal Loan Forgiveness route.

As for "extremely irresponsible", I hardly think that is the case. You will likely have more fun in Houston and have better job opportunities there which is a MUCH bigger market than what Tech is looking at. The risk is worth it if you are alone and in your 20s.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:35 pm

The Sound Of Truth wrote:I applied to Tech, Houston, SMU and UT....got in to all four. Tech offered me a free ride, which I considered mostly because of their litigation reputation and because i live in Lubbock. The fact that I'm interested in working at the DA's office made getting out of law school debt free tempting, but the fact the the scholarship requires you to stay in the top 1/3 and the pull of UT is leading me to go there instead.

Unless you are 110% sure you want to work in the panhandle, or at least be ok with it, go to U of H.

And if your scholarship has the top 1/3 restriction like mine did, I wouldn't even consider it. You'll be pissed paying full at Tech and have no chance of transferring to one of the better schools in the state if you lose the scholarship.

I'm pretty sure we had the exact same admissions cycle. OP, if you go to TTU make sure to get the top 1/3 restriction waived; it would be a shame to have a bad semester and have to pay sticker. If you can get it waived, I would go to TTU. Every lawyer I've talked to in Dallas has spoken well of TTU grads, and the school is well represented here.

That said, also be prepared to live and work in Abilene, Amarillo, or some other another mid-size city if you don't make it to the top of your class (don't assume you will). Also, while you may get to Dallas from TTU, it's going to be hella hard to land biglaw. If you are dead set on biglaw, go to UH and try to land a biglaw job in Houston.

Lastly, if you visit Lubbock go to Cagles....best steakhouse in Lubbock.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Originating poster:

I would suggest you spend a couple of days in Lubbock (it may not even take that long), and I'm pretty sure this matter will be resolved. I have never ever EVER seen a college town as awful as Lubbock. It's by far the worst in the Big 12, and the conference isn't exactly known for premiere venues. I think even ESPN or SI officially named it the worst college town in the U.S.

Take a picture of yourself with the Buddy Holly statue as a souvenir - that's pretty much the best you can get out of Lubbock.

btw, to make a substantial comment for a change: this is not the kind of economy where you want to be trying to get a job with a degree from Tech.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:14 pm

DonnyMost wrote:Frenchy's... the chicken Jesus would eat.

QFT

amorfati42

Postby amorfati42 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:53 am

DO NOT GO TO LUBBOCK!

I went to Tech for my freshman year of undergrad and it was miserable! If you enjoy bible-thumpers and super conservative politics maybe you'd like it, but it's a scary place. Once I was driving on the highway when my tire blew out and the tow truck driver was covered in swastikas and had no teeth.

Also, it's flat, has no trees, has dust storms, literally smells like shit because it's surrounded by cattle ranches, and if it rains you can't drive anywhere. The place doesn't have road drains, so if when it rains the streets become huge puddles.

Houston has it's share of problems but at least there's diversity, more culture, a lot to do, and UH is will give you more options.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:56 am

I feel that UHouston would set you up for success. It's the top school in a bustling city and it's relatively cheap compared to many other law schools.

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:00 pm

JOThompson wrote:I feel that UHouston would set you up for success. It's the top school in a bustling city and it's relatively cheap compared to many other law schools.

false...because of their tuition hike...plus we are comparing it to a school that offered a full-ride and is $10,000 cheaper/year without any assistance

as far as public schools go...UH is the most expensive in the state starting this fall, and it is now comparable to the price tag of STCL and Wesleyan.

amorfati42 wrote:DO NOT GO TO LUBBOCK!

I went to Tech for my freshman year of undergrad and it was miserable! If you enjoy bible-thumpers and super conservative politics maybe you'd like it, but it's a scary place. Once I was driving on the highway when my tire blew out and the tow truck driver was covered in swastikas and had no teeth (third ward is all I'm going to say about UH).

Also, it's flat (??...so is houston?), has no trees (Houston is a metropolitian area...not the greatest area for nature), has dust storms (Hurricane Ike caused more hurt in Houston than any dust storm has ever done in Lubbock since the Dust Bowl), literally smells like shit because it's surrounded by cattle ranches (pretty sure Houston is one of the most polluted cities in the nation...and litter is a major problem), and if it rains you can't drive anywhere (again, Hurricane Ike..plus numerous tropical storms each year). The place doesn't have road drains, so if when it rains the streets become huge puddles (Houston traffic twice a day 365 days a year).

Houston has it's share of problems but at least there's diversity, more culture, a lot to do, and UH is will give you more options.

ftfy

0 and 16

Postby 0 and 16 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:25 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I feel that UHouston would set you up for success. It's the top school in a bustling city and it's relatively cheap compared to many other law schools.

false...because of their tuition hike...plus we are comparing it to a school that offered a full-ride and is $10,000 cheaper/year without any assistance

as far as public schools go...UH is the most expensive in the state starting this fall, and it is now comparable to the price tag of STCL and Wesleyan.

I went to Tech for my freshman year of undergrad and it was miserable! If you enjoy bible-thumpers and super conservative politics maybe you'd like it, but it's a scary place. Once I was driving on the highway when my tire blew out and the tow truck driver was covered in swastikas and had no teeth (third ward is all I'm going to say about UH).

Also, it's flat (??...so is houston?), has no trees (Houston is a metropolitian area...not the greatest area for nature), has dust storms (Hurricane Ike caused more hurt in Houston than any dust storm has ever done in Lubbock since the Dust Bowl), literally smells like shit because it's surrounded by cattle ranches (pretty sure Houston is one of the most polluted cities in the nation...and litter is a major problem), and if it rains you can't drive anywhere (again, Hurricane Ike..plus numerous tropical storms each year). The place doesn't have road drains, so if when it rains the streets become huge puddles (Houston traffic twice a day 365 days a year).

ftfy

UT is still the most expensive.

http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/finaid/costs/

http://www.law.uh.edu/admissions/tuition.html

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:24 am

0 and 16 wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:

ftfy

UT is still the most expensive.

http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/finaid/costs/

http://www.law.uh.edu/admissions/tuition.html

by only ~$1000 after the first semester...i dont think you could find anyone that would say UT is not worth that extra money over UH...the fact is, when compared to the $100,000+ the OP would essentially be saving, UH is just not worth that much more than Tech, unless the OP wanted biglaw in houston

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”