University of Virginia waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ironicaplomb

University of Virginia waitlist

Postby ironicaplomb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:16 pm

I recently found out I made it on their waitlist (which I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing).

As much as I would like to retain my chances of getting in, I don't exactly have to funds to pay a $500 deposit nonchalantly.

Does anyone have any experience with the UVA waitlist? Are you're chances of getting in still good or is this just their way of politely saying no? Is it all pretty much up in the air? I would appreciate any information on helping me decide if I pay this deposit or not.

Thank you very much.

scribelaw

Re: University of Virginia waitlist

Postby scribelaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:17 pm

What are your numbers?

ironicaplomb

Postby ironicaplomb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:19 pm

scribelaw wrote:What are your numbers?

LSAT: 162
Undergrad GPA: 3.9

bees

Postby bees » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:20 pm

ironicaplomb wrote:

Where else have you been accepted?

I doubt UVA is interested enough in a 3.9 at this point in the cycle to take a 162 with it. I don't mean to be harsh, just realistic.

ironicaplomb

Postby ironicaplomb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:24 pm

bees wrote:
ironicaplomb wrote:

I doubt UVA is interested enough in a 3.9 at this point in the cycle to take a 162 with it. I don't mean to be harsh, just realistic.

I don't mind harsh responses. If there is a minimal chance of getting in, I want to you know.

So far I've been accepted mainly to Florida schools, where the bulk of my applications went:
University of Florida
Florida State University
University of Miami
American University

dk8

Postby dk8 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:26 pm

I think the waitlist is huge. Lots of people with great numbers on it. Write your LOCI and all that but I wouldn't expect to get off it.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:26 pm

Do you think you maxed out on the LSAT?

If you really like UVA, if you could improve to the mid- to upper-160s you could be almost a lock through the ED program.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:28 pm

I am a fellow UVA-waitlistee, and I am pretty sure that the waitlist is very long. My LSAT is nearly ten points higher than yours (though my GPA is not as impressive as yours), and I have little hope.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:54 pm

168/3.75

I don't have much hope at all. I probably will withdraw.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:43 pm

171/3.7

I'll probably withdraw also.

sternc

Postby sternc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:45 pm

This might be a stupid question, but I'm a little confused. If you are on the wait-list, do you have to pay a seat deposit to still be considered?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 pm

sternc wrote:This might be a stupid question, but I'm a little confused. If you are on the wait-list, do you have to pay a seat deposit to still be considered?

No, I think you just have to write your LOCI and show them you're interested. No seat deposit until you're accepted. :D

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:53 pm

how are you guys sending in your LOCIs?

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:57 pm

I hope all of you do withdraw. You guys are completely right. It is WAYYY too big, we'll never get off :D
With that said, I sent mine via regular mail.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:I hope all of you do withdraw. You guys are completely right. It is WAYYY too big, we'll never get off :D

lmao.......who was it addressed to....i misplaced the email I received.

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:09 pm

cling on with you dear life to that waitlist. LOCI like crazy and possibly go visit to express your interest.

good luck

Also: I think UVA is going to pull a lot of people off the waitlist this year with their new ED thing.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:42 pm

clint4law wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:I hope all of you do withdraw. You guys are completely right. It is WAYYY too big, we'll never get off :D

lmao.......who was it addressed to....i misplaced the email I received.

I addressed mine to the UVA Admissions Committee, no one specific...

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:29 pm

hello all. i withdrew my acceptance from UVa today :( . i really hope one of you gets my spot!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:32 pm

hubtubrub wrote:cling on with you dear life to that waitlist. LOCI like crazy and possibly go visit to express your interest.

good luck

Also: I think UVA is going to pull a lot of people off the waitlist this year with their new ED thing.

Why would they pull more off the waitlist when I'm sure they filled tons of their spots with qualified ED applicants?

newyorklaw23

Postby newyorklaw23 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:33 pm

UVA waitlist is like when actresses in their teens and early twenties get nominated for oscars. You put on you nice dress and go to the big dance but you don't actually EXPECT anything haha.

WL'd in january.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:35 pm

sternc wrote:This might be a stupid question, but I'm a little confused. If you are on the wait-list, do you have to pay a seat deposit to still be considered?

No, but you have to pay a non-refundable seat deposit somewhere else while you wait, since presumably you want to go somewhere even if UVa doesn't take you.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:40 pm

ironicaplomb wrote:I recently found out I made it on their waitlist (which I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing).

As much as I would like to retain my chances of getting in, I don't exactly have to funds to pay a $500 deposit nonchalantly.

Does anyone have any experience with the UVA waitlist? Are you're chances of getting in still good or is this just their way of politely saying no? Is it all pretty much up in the air? I would appreciate any information on helping me decide if I pay this deposit or not.

Thank you very much.

The odds of your getting off the WL are rather low. Whether they go to the WL deeply or not this year, it's important that you understand they have a large WL pool, and that even if it's possible to get in off the WL, that doesn't make it likely. You do need to make plans for what you should do if they don't take you off the WL, and assume that's what will happen unless you hear otherwise.

Your options are to 1) pay a deposit at another school, or 2) wait and reapply next year. #2 gives you the option of retaking the LSAT and applying early/ED. If you can get your LSAT score up even a few more points it'd greatly increase your chances of acceptance.

If you decide to wait and reapply, you can actually try to use that to your advantage this year. Write UVA LOCIs telling them that you really want to attend there and are not depositing elsewhere, and will certainly attend if accepted off the WL. That kind of dedication can greatly increase your chances that they'll go to you and not someone else if they do go to the WL (though again it guarantees nothing).

In the meantime, with your awesome GPA you could make yourself into a much stronger contender for attending UVA with just a slightly higher LSAT score. You can start preparing to retake the LSAT (and even tell UVA that you're retaking this June if it'll help; perhaps it might convince them to take you off the WL this July).

That's if you're certain you want to go to a school like UVA. If you want to go to law school this year no matter what, you should really deposit elsewhere and plan on going there unless you hear back from UVA.

ilovelamp18

Postby ilovelamp18 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:44 pm

Hey everybody out there waiting and hoping... just wanted to say that I went to visit last weekend (even though I'm on the waitlist)... And it certainly seems worth the effort.

I think I read that they don't rank it, but does anyone have an idea where my numbers will put me on this list (170/3.8+)??? Also, do higher numbers indicate a significantly better chance of being pulled from the WL, or do they use other criteria when searching to fill spots???

Thanks and good luck to all of us.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:54 pm

ilovelamp18 wrote:I think I read that they don't rank it, but does anyone have an idea where my numbers will put me on this list (170/3.8+)??? Also, do higher numbers indicate a significantly better chance of being pulled from the WL, or do they use other criteria when searching to fill spots???

Both of these questions are related, actually. They don't rank it, and the reason for that is that what they need will depend on where they're short. This also makes it hard to estimate your odds of getting pulled off the WL, because it depends on where they're short, or if they're short anywhere at all.

For example, if they end up realizing they have only a few open seats and they need to fill those seats with 170+ LSAT scores to maintain their LSAT median, then they'll almost certainly only make offers off the WL to those with 170+ LSAT. Same thing with GPA medians. If they're good on both their LSAT and GPA medians, that gives them a lot more flexibility to make offers to people with work experience to increase the percentage of the class with WE, or to make offers to URMs to increase diversity, or so on and so forth.

If your GPA and LSAT are both at/above median, that does make you more likely to get pulled because there are more circumstances where they may need. However, even in those cases they'll have a large WL of people with similar stats to choose from; what'll help you rise to the top and get picked is to have whatever they need and have shown your dedication to attending if accepted. The adcomms are pretty big on this; continuing to show interest in the school, and telling them you will attend if accepted, makes a big difference in whether they'll take you over someone else when they're filling spots.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:03 pm

bees wrote:
ironicaplomb wrote:

But if another person with a similar background turns down UVA's offer, that might get the person in.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”