Marquette Fall 2010 Waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Generic20101L

Re: Marquette Fall 2010 Waitlist

Postby Generic20101L » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:45 pm

OnWisconsin wrote:
Generic20101L wrote:
OnWisconsin wrote:Looks like Marquette is reopening a few spots on it's waitlist via LSN anyone have any news on this?

Huh? A few? One is a few?

It's a self selective site. Just as when you were offered your position there was at least one other person who was offered a spot that did not report it on LSN that I know of.

Therefore, more than one, less than many or most, means a few.

You are completely denying the possibility of only one person being offered? Marquette doesn't have a relatively big FT 1L class size, so why is that impossible?

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:48 pm

Generic20101L wrote:
OnWisconsin wrote:
Generic20101L wrote:
OnWisconsin wrote:Looks like Marquette is reopening a few spots on it's waitlist via LSN anyone have any news on this?

Huh? A few? One is a few?

It's a self selective site. Just as when you were offered your position there was at least one other person who was offered a spot that did not report it on LSN that I know of.

Therefore, more than one, less than many or most, means a few.

You are completely denying the possibility of only one person being offered? Marquette doesn't have a relatively big FT 1L class size, so why is that impossible?

I'm not making a complete denial of the possiblity, however LSN is a self selective, and therefore unrepresentative sample. Marquette more than likely received at least 2000 applications this year and of those only around 150 to 200 applicants chose to participate on LSN. In essence 10% of all applicants give or take a few percentage points.

Statistically the amount of occurrences of acceptance, denial, and waitilist are greater in actuality than those recognized on LSN (your acceptance being a perfect example). Hence my belief that perhaps there was more than a single offer of acceptance off the waitlist, thus my inquiry.

However, if you have some tangible inside information to the contrary I'm all ears.

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35 pm

[quote="OnWisconsin"

Therefore, more than one, less than many or most, means a few.[/quote]

You are completely denying the possibility of only one person being offered? Marquette doesn't have a relatively big FT 1L class size, so why is that impossible?[/quote]

I'm not making a complete denial of the possiblity, however LSN is a self selective, and therefore unrepresentative sample. Marquette more than likely received at least 2000 applications this year and of those only around 150 to 200 applicants chose to participate on LSN. In essence 10% of all applicants give or take a few percentage points.

Statistically the amount of occurrences of acceptance, denial, and waitilist are greater in actuality than those recognized on LSN (your acceptance being a perfect example). Hence my belief that perhaps there was more than a single offer of acceptance off the waitlist, thus my inquiry.

However, if you have some tangible inside information to the contrary I'm all ears.[/quote]
[list=][/list]

I don't. You could easily (and prob are) be right.

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:02 pm

We should also note my own healthy dose of wishful thinking as well!

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:57 am

Well, 3rd round of reaffrimaiton emails went out a couple days ago. Looks like we have more waiting. If anyone gets any news please keep us informed!

mona10

Postby mona10 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Do you mean that Marquette sent letters to everyone on the waitlist to see if they are still interested? Or did they send out an e-mail to determine this? A few weeks ago I received a letter saying that I was off the waitlist because I did not respond to an e-mail that went to the email account at my undergrad school and not to the e-mail address I used to confirm the fact that I wanted to be on the waitlist. When I called the school they said that I was still on the list and could not explain why I received a letter saying that I was removed.

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:57 pm

mona10 wrote:Do you mean that Marquette sent letters to everyone on the waitlist to see if they are still interested? Or did they send out an e-mail to determine this? A few weeks ago I received a letter saying that I was off the waitlist because I did not respond to an e-mail that went to the email account at my undergrad school and not to the e-mail address I used to confirm the fact that I wanted to be on the waitlist. When I called the school they said that I was still on the list and could not explain why I received a letter saying that I was removed.

No, I meant an email that I think came out on the 12th or 13th of July.

Did your UG bounce you off their email server, or do you just not check that one anymore?

mona10

Postby mona10 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:08 pm

I just didn't check that e-mail account and thought that a different e-mail address was on their records. As I said before, they still had me on the waitlist, but sent a letter saying I was removed. Not sure if the move into the new building has things out of order.

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:43 am

....crickets

I'm wondering if they are just going to see who doesn't show up at orientation and then start making calls.

mona10

Postby mona10 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Are you serious????? Do they really call people up the first week of class and ask if you are interested in coming to school?? I applied for financial aide, but that would take a week or two to get into order. It seems like a bad way of doing things. Maybe they should just accept a few extra people to start with??

Kwijiboe

Postby Kwijiboe » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 pm

For admitted students, Marquette had us mail a form that confirmed our intent to enroll when the semester starts. The deadline for that particular form is tomorrow (Friday) by 430 pm. Perhaps that information will help Marquette decide whether or not to go to the waitlist. Sorry You all have to wait this long.

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:26 am

Mona:

Yes, unfortunatley for us it is known to happen (however, very rarely). I don't have any examples of getting the call up the first day of class from Marquette in particular but I know for a fact that it does happen. This often leaves you in a tight spot if you've already moved, paid tuition, bought books, etc. at another school.

Kwijiboe:

Great piece information! My question is, is this intent to enroll considered a binding agreement? Could you still back out if your #1 called you out of the blue with an offer acceptance?

mona10

Postby mona10 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:02 am

Thanks for the great information. I guess if I don't hear anything within the next week or two, I will move on to plan "B".

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:31 am

mona10 wrote:Thanks for the great information. I guess if I don't hear anything within the next week or two, I will move on to plan "B".

It's a tough decision made even tougher by the fact that Marquette's orientation and first day of class are so late in August. Most other schools will already have had orientation and anywhere from 1 to 2 full weeks of class before Marquette has its first day. :(

Kwijiboe

Postby Kwijiboe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:32 pm

The form ("final confirmation of intent to enroll") states that it "must" be received by Friday 430pm. It does not list any consquences for not sending this form or say anything about losing your spot, deposit or eligibility to enroll and further, it does not suggest that it is a binding agreement to enroll. It seems like they want a final count to see if they need to visit the waitlist. But that's just speculation on my part.

I turned it in last week. As a rule, I don't question deadlines that are written in bold typeface.

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:08 pm

It's just so they can see who is coming. It's really pointless though, because people still on waitlists at other schools will still fill it out.

Goodluck to everyone on the waitlist. I thank god every day I got off of it.

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:02 pm

It's really pointless though, because people still on waitlists at other schools will still fill it out.

This is what I'm thinking. Unfortunately this leads to a vicious cycle in terms of waitlist movement. I guess this means despite this confirmation request (which seems to be non-binding) we on the waitlist are destined to sit on our hands until the first day of orientation/class.

Part of me would like to contact admissions office and ask them about their class size. Nothing about "what are my chances" or "are you going to pick more off the waitlist" just a simple heads up on numbers. From what I can tell reading other WL threads many schools engage in a lot more communication with their WL candidates. Even tid bits of information, positive or negative, help to ease some of the waiting game worries.

I'm curious to know how many other waitlist offers there have been other Generic and that one other (via LSN) but that's besides the point and information I'll probably never know.

mona10

Postby mona10 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:45 pm

I received a phone call yesterday asking me if I was still interested in attending Marquette. I was then asked if I would attend if the only money I received was loans and not a scholarship or grant. I was told that I would have to hurry up and complete paperwork if I was admitted. I told the caller that I understood what she was saying. I was then told that the phone call did not mean that I was accepted, they just wanted to know how serious I was about attending Marquette. Did anyone else get a phone call like this???

LawMuns

Postby LawMuns » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:04 pm

mona10 wrote:I received a phone call yesterday asking me if I was still interested in attending Marquette. I was then asked if I would attend if the only money I received was loans and not a scholarship or grant. I was told that I would have to hurry up and complete paperwork if I was admitted. I told the caller that I understood what she was saying. I was then told that the phone call did not mean that I was accepted, they just wanted to know how serious I was about attending Marquette. Did anyone else get a phone call like this???

I think I dated a girl like Marquette once. It was exhausting.

mona10

Postby mona10 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:29 pm

LawMuns --- You are too funny!!

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:15 pm

mona10 wrote:I received a phone call yesterday asking me if I was still interested in attending Marquette. I was then asked if I would attend if the only money I received was loans and not a scholarship or grant. I was told that I would have to hurry up and complete paperwork if I was admitted. I told the caller that I understood what she was saying. I was then told that the phone call did not mean that I was accepted, they just wanted to know how serious I was about attending Marquette. Did anyone else get a phone call like this???

Didn't get it. Congratulations, sounds like you might be one of the last in.

mona10

Postby mona10 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:02 pm

I just received an e-mail saying that I was accepted. I need to complete my paperwork and send my deposit in by August 6th. There's still hope out there if people don't return paperwork by next Friday.

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:22 am

mona10 wrote:I just received an e-mail saying that I was accepted. I need to complete my paperwork and send my deposit in by August 6th. There's still hope out there if people don't return paperwork by next Friday.

Congrats!

LawMuns

Postby LawMuns » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:00 am

Congrats!

Scottie88

Postby Scottie88 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 am

Congrats I am so jealous! Did they say they were trying to fill multiple spots?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”