USC Scholarship terms Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
musicfor18

Silver

USC Scholarship terms

Post by musicfor18 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:34 pm

I received a scholarship from USC today. I have to accept it by April 15 and then withdraw from all other schools I've been accepted to by May 1. The letter says I may not place deposits at any other schools as of May 1. If they find that I have (through an LSAC report), the scholarship will be rescinded.

My question is this: Currently, USC is my top choice, but I've been waitlisted at Columbia, and won't hear from them again until late May at the earliest. The chances of getting into Columbia are small, but I want to stay on the list just in case of a miracle! What happens if I don't withdraw from Columbia, but accept the USC scholarship? I won't have a deposit at Columbia.

The letter specifically says I must withdraw from all other schools to which I've been admitted. Is anyone else in at USC with scholarship but on a waitlist they'd like to stay on?

foxyeconomist

Bronze

Re: USC Scholarship terms

Post by foxyeconomist » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:39 pm

Maybe you should post the whole letter, so we can read the language exactly. Since you have not been admitted to Columbia, it sounds like you need not withdraw. They didn't say (I don't think) to withdraw ALL your applications.

iYale

New

Post by iYale » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:45 pm

foxyeconomist wrote:Maybe you should post the whole letter, so we can read the language exactly. Since you have not been admitted to Columbia, it sounds like you need not withdraw. They didn't say (I don't think) to withdraw ALL your applications.
+1 and quite frankly a bird in a hand beats two in a bush. Take the scholarship, withdraw from Columbia then transfer if you have to.

amandap

Bronze

Post by amandap » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:09 pm

musicfor18 wrote:I received a scholarship from USC today. I have to accept it by April 15 and then withdraw from all other schools I've been accepted to by May 1. The letter says I may not place deposits at any other schools as of May 1. If they find that I have (through an LSAC report), the scholarship will be rescinded.

My question is this: Currently, USC is my top choice, but I've been waitlisted at Columbia, and won't hear from them again until late May at the earliest. The chances of getting into Columbia are small, but I want to stay on the list just in case of a miracle! What happens if I don't withdraw from Columbia, but accept the USC scholarship? I won't have a deposit at Columbia.

The letter specifically says I must withdraw from all other schools to which I've been admitted. Is anyone else in at USC with scholarship but on a waitlist they'd like to stay on?

I have my letter in front of me. It says you must "withdrawl, by May 1st, from all other law schools to which you have been admitted."

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:37 pm

I have the same letter. You do not have to withdraw from schools where you are WL'd, only where you have been admitted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Last edited by Flanker1067 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Well, but if you get into a school off the WL, you don't care if USC's scholly is rescinded because you'll go there.

So basically, if you accept USC's scholly, you have to withdraw from all of your admits. But you can still ride a WL. If you get in off a WL, then you say peace out, USC! Or you withdraw once you've been admitted, but what would be the point of staying on a WL if you weren't going to go if admitted?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”