Will sending in a video hurt my chances?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kommatas

Will sending in a video hurt my chances?

Postby kommatas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:13 pm

I make a lot of videos (yeah I'm a huge av nerd) for fun. Would sending a video about myself and why I want to apply and show my continued interest with some article edits, ect. hurt my chances in any way?

I know I can send an LOCI (already did) but if I have the ability to make a DVD or a video file attached to an email, and I know it is a better representation of who I am and I will be better at verbalizing my intentions, wouldn't a video be a good selling point?

Any criticism is welcome. I wish I would have thought of it sooner I would have liked to add a video to my application....

blsingindisguise

Re: Will sending in a video hurt my chances?

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:14 pm

Elle Woods, welcome to Harvard.

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:16 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Elle Woods, welcome to Harvard.

Haha, just googled Elle Woods.... never seen the movie but I guess she did it and got into Harvard... hmmm....
Last edited by kommatas on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:18 pm

I would say that unless it's a feature you produced for 60 Minutes or a documentary that won an award at Cannes, don't bother. Even then, just put it on your resume - you think they have time to watch that shit?

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:20 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:I would say that unless it's a feature you produced for 60 Minutes or a documentary that won an award at Cannes, don't bother. Even then, just put it on your resume - you think they have time to watch that shit?

Haha, I really don't know anything about the process to be honest. What if it was like five minutes or less?

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:22 pm

IIRC most schools actually specify that they DO NOT WANT EXTRA MATERIAL. I mean really, they're sifting through thousands of these applications. Plus what do you think the video is going to add?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Youtube has a few examples of people who did this. I don't know what their outcomes were, but everyone of them seems rather toolish to me. I highly doubt it would help. Law is mostly a writing profession and they care a lot more about your writing abilities than your speaking or presenting abilities. You won't be able to submit a video report for your exams.

I think you are better off writing a polished LOCI then spending time on the video.

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:27 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:IIRC most schools actually specify that they DO NOT WANT EXTRA MATERIAL. I mean really, they're sifting through thousands of these applications. Plus what do you think the video is going to add?

I never seen the "DO NOT WANT EXTRA MATERIAL" I have ready many interviews with deans saying how they want the applications to reflect the student, like how your personal statement is your chance to show the school who you are.... but I thought a video would just be an addition to the PS.

Hey, this is why I added this topic because I need opinions of others who know more about this process than myself.

Thanks for letting me know about the no extra material, I'll have to go back to their app and read it, I must have been too nervous when I filled it out.

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:31 pm

CyLaw wrote:Youtube has a few examples of people who did this. I don't know what their outcomes were, but everyone of them seems rather toolish to me. I highly doubt it would help. Law is mostly a writing profession and they care a lot more about your writing abilities than your speaking or presenting abilities. You won't be able to submit a video report for your exams.

I think you are better off writing a polished LOCI then spending time on the video.

I don't want to look like a tool, maybe a nerd, dork, loser, but if there is one thing I never want to be referred as is a tool. Also, if my vid ever went on Youtube, I'd never live it down....

I agree with having a polished LOCI. In fact I have one in the mail. I was just curious about the videos. I know that Tufts undergrad uses videos to help them with choosing applicants and thought it might be a more regular thing.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:31 pm

If it was sent in the beginning of the cycle some adcomm might find it amusing BUT I dont believe it will help you and most likely would hurt your application. Don't even think of doing it at the end of a cycle.

Sorry but everyone thinks of Elle Woods when they see a video. College admissions has also reported crazy things people send to them ( including baked goods) and it doesn't help. :roll:

If you decide to do it, check out Elle Woods video for ideas :lol:
Last edited by Emma1 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:32 pm

If you want to be seen and impress them, then go visit the school in person (unless you're talking about HYS in which case there is no way to be seen by the adcomms).

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:36 pm

kommatas wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Youtube has a few examples of people who did this. I don't know what their outcomes were, but everyone of them seems rather toolish to me. I highly doubt it would help. Law is mostly a writing profession and they care a lot more about your writing abilities than your speaking or presenting abilities. You won't be able to submit a video report for your exams.

I don't want to look like a tool, maybe a nerd, dork, loser, but if there is one thing I never want to be referred as is a tool. Also, if my vid ever went on Youtube, I'd never live it down....

The fact they thought it was so great as to publish on YouTube probably has a lot to do with their Toolish appearance. :)

So, yeah, just don't put it out there for everyone to see.

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:44 pm

I had a book on law school admissions that I bought a while back that contained an interview with one of the past Harvard admissions deans . . . he said that at Harvard, and all other schools he knew of, they don't even watch videos that get mailed (I guess it happened quite a bit after Legally Blond came out) . . . they basically just get thrown away. Later in the interview, it said they watched a few one year after all the decisions had been made for the cycle, just to see what was on them . . . he said almost universally they would have hurt the application. Take it for what you will, but I can't imagine it being a good idea.

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:45 pm

vanwinkle wrote:If you want to be seen and impress them, then go visit the school in person (unless you're talking about HYS in which case there is no way to be seen by the adcomms).

Thats a great idea!! I never knew you can visit the admissions committee members. I would like to do that. I think this is much > than a video..

Especially after reading the comments...

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:46 pm

The fact they thought it was so great as to publish on YouTube probably has a lot to do with their Toolish appearance. :)

So, yeah, just don't put it out there for everyone to see.

Yeah, I was thinking someone on the admissions committee would put it on. I would never put myself out like that.

Thanks for the input.
Last edited by kommatas on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:48 pm

I guess a video isn't a good idea. I guess it would be a little much for the admissions committee's to review and if I would have known it was done in legally blonde, I probably would have never even thought of doing it.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:56 pm

kommatas wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:If you want to be seen and impress them, then go visit the school in person (unless you're talking about HYS in which case there is no way to be seen by the adcomms).

Thats a great idea!! I never knew you can visit the admissions committee members. I would like to do that. I think this is much > than a video..

I think you're really missing how much law school is a numbers game. Visiting might be better than a video but it's really not going to do much for you. You seem to be convinced that there's some magical way to show them how you are "special" beyond the numbers. There isn't. LSAT/GPA are by far the most important. After that it's letters of rec, legitimately extraordinary accomplishments (like you published a successful book, founded a non-profit, won the Van Cliburn piano competition, etc.) and your personal statement.

Visiting a law school is pretty common and it won't make much difference in your admissions.

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:01 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
kommatas wrote:

I think you're really missing how much law school is a numbers game. Visiting might be better than a video but it's really not going to do much for you. You seem to be convinced that there's some magical way to show them how you are "special" beyond the numbers. There isn't. LSAT/GPA are by far the most important. After that it's letters of rec, legitimately extraordinary accomplishments (like you published a successful book, founded a non-profit, won the Van Cliburn piano competition, etc.) and your personal statement.

Visiting a law school is pretty common and it won't make much difference in your admissions.

No, trust me I know how much of a numbers game it is. I know there is no magic way, if I thought it was that way I would have sent some short stories I wrote, some videos I made, ect.. . When I say sending a video and visiting, I know that it is not much. I just like doing personal things like that. I just like working at something until I fail... just like my LSAT, haha.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:07 pm

You need to stop thinking about this like a high school kid entering college. It's law school - it's a professional school. They want to see that you can write analytically and critically and reason well and that you're serious and mature and ready for hard work. Stuff like short stories and videos aren't even icing, they're just garnish - makes you look a little prettier but the food is either good or it isn't. And when I say they're garnish, I mean having them on your resume is garnish, not actually giving them to the AdCom. THEY WILL NOT LOOK AT THEM.

entrechatsix

Postby entrechatsix » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:00 am

link please :lol:

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:38 pm

entrechatsix wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAV0sxwx9rY

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:38 pm

entrechatsix wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Youtube has a few examples of people who did this.

I don't have the links on hand. But IIRC, there was one called one was called Cornell Update or something like that.

Another was done by a guy who also did a video saying People's College of Law is a scam.

qualster

Postby qualster » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:02 pm

kommatas wrote:I make a lot of videos (yeah I'm a huge av nerd) for fun. Would sending a video about myself and why I want to apply and show my continued interest with some article edits, ect. hurt my chances in any way?

I know I can send an LOCI (already did) but if I have the ability to make a DVD or a video file attached to an email, and I know it is a better representation of who I am and I will be better at verbalizing my intentions, wouldn't a video be a good selling point?

Any criticism is welcome. I wish I would have thought of it sooner I would have liked to add a video to my application....

Of course you should make a video. Sending a video helped Marlon Brown get into Ramsey College. The video was what swayed the committee, and when he got there, he hooked up with Jessica Kailo.

I'm making my video right now. It's going to include some break dancing, martial arts moves that I made up, footage of me volunteering at an animal shelter, and a short monologue outlining my reasons for wanting to attend law school. The video is going to put a face and personality to the numbers in my file. I'm getting into my top choice now for sure.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”