TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
cyh
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby cyh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:25 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
roguey wrote:I've been pretty impressed with my cycle, but I think that has more to do with applying to everywhere I could (not any real reaches though) and getting in everywhere I applied so far (except a waitlist at UIUC). I applied to 35 schools starting January 16: So far 29 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 5 pending, 21 scholarships, $1,284,800 total scholarship funds offered. I don't know if my cycle would be considered a really good cycle since none of the schools were outside my score comfort zone, but I'm darn proud, lol.



I don't really understand how this would qualify for a hypothetical "Best Cycle of the Year" award. Here we have a person with average stats (3.6/164) that applied to 35 of the roughly 200 accredited law schools in the country. (17.5% of all law schools). Acceptances pour in, but from all these average schools, what's the point?


A best cycle winner is someone who is accepted to Yale.



+1
of course u would get in to these average schools.

Check out Booby87

That's an incredible cycle. Almost a full sweep of the T14, ONE pending.

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby lawyering » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Yeah, booby87 beats me hands down. i got 11 of the T14 (mich-WL, nw/cornell-did not apply) but I didn't get the scholarship offers that booby got. VERY impressive.

ChaotiCait
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:32 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby ChaotiCait » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm still in shock about Chicago with my 3.9 164/168, especially after hearing of their reputation for looking for high LSATs. Still hoping for an NYU miracle too though!

User avatar
booby87
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby booby87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:57 pm

.
Last edited by booby87 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
evilgenius
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby evilgenius » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Im definitely impressed by some of the cycles posted here, but with all due respect anyone with a 170+ and a 3.7+ shouldn't be worshiped because they got into a few T14's. This has become another TLS-T14 or die thread. Similarly anyone with a 2.5 and a 155 shouldn't think they are having a good cycle because they got into Cooley.

Are there any true "cycle of the year" stories? Did anyone really beat the odds? Are there any folks out there that LSP completely miscalculated - meaning it said "Deny" at every school, and you were actually admitted?

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby tintin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:19 pm

i would LOVE to read the personal statements of some of you high achievers, actually........ can that happen?

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby wired » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:20 pm

evilgenius wrote:Im definitely impressed by some of the cycles posted here, but with all due respect anyone with a 170+ and a 3.7+ shouldn't be worshiped because they got into a few T14's. This has become another TLS-T14 or die thread. Similarly anyone with a 2.5 and a 155 shouldn't think they are having a good cycle because they got into Cooley.

Are there any true "cycle of the year" stories? Did anyone really beat the odds? Are there any folks out there that LSP completely miscalculated - meaning it said "Deny" at every school, and you were actually admitted?


I think gymboree's admittance at Berkeley qualifies under your standard.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:21 pm

wired wrote:
evilgenius wrote:Im definitely impressed by some of the cycles posted here, but with all due respect anyone with a 170+ and a 3.7+ shouldn't be worshiped because they got into a few T14's. This has become another TLS-T14 or die thread. Similarly anyone with a 2.5 and a 155 shouldn't think they are having a good cycle because they got into Cooley.

Are there any true "cycle of the year" stories? Did anyone really beat the odds? Are there any folks out there that LSP completely miscalculated - meaning it said "Deny" at every school, and you were actually admitted?


I think gymboree's admittance at Berkeley qualifies under your standard.



+1

User avatar
evilgenius
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby evilgenius » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
wired wrote:
evilgenius wrote:Im definitely impressed by some of the cycles posted here, but with all due respect anyone with a 170+ and a 3.7+ shouldn't be worshiped because they got into a few T14's. This has become another TLS-T14 or die thread. Similarly anyone with a 2.5 and a 155 shouldn't think they are having a good cycle because they got into Cooley.

Are there any true "cycle of the year" stories? Did anyone really beat the odds? Are there any folks out there that LSP completely miscalculated - meaning it said "Deny" at every school, and you were actually admitted?


I think gymboree's admittance at Berkeley qualifies under your standard.



+1


+100!

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby GermX » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:24 pm

3.4, 169:

Cornell- In $10k/yr
Georgetown- In $3k/yr
Northwestern- In
Chicago- Waitlist
UCLA- In
USC- In $10k/yr
BC- In
BU- In
Fordham- In, $30K/yr
George Washington- In, $15k/yr


Then I woke up.

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:29 pm

tintin wrote:i would LOVE to read the personal statements of some of you high achievers, actually........ can that happen?


Seconded. We should revive the Enduring Yale 250 thread too. I'm curious about what everyone else wrote for that impossible essay.

User avatar
Herb Watchfell
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:33 pm

If I remember correctly, YCrevolution had quite an impressive menstrual cycle.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:33 pm

tintin wrote:i would LOVE to read the personal statements of some of you high achievers, actually........ can that happen?


tomhobbes wrote:Seconded. We should revive the Enduring Yale 250 thread too. I'm curious about what everyone else wrote for that impossible essay.


I gave it a shot: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=111868

Now it's up to all ya'll who had amazing cycles if you guys feel comfortable in doing so.

Mosca
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 am

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby Mosca » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:38 pm

.
Last edited by Mosca on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OneKnight
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby OneKnight » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:43 pm

tintin wrote:i had a pretty good cycle. i've only been rejected by university of washington so far (probably stanford too though!). 3.9/168. Definitely got into some unexpected reaches. i think there are probably quite a few people like me though who squeaked into their reaches with some good luck, etc.

lsn link in my profile if anyone is interested.


I also nominate Tintin!
(probably slightly influenced by the awesome 'tar, but still, NYU? Chicago? Amazing!)

User avatar
BigA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 am

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby BigA » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:57 pm

how bout this guy: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/carnstar

He's 29 of 29 so far including Cooley, with one school yet to go... :lol:

There's probably some decent offers in there though

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:33 am

BigA wrote:how bout this guy: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/carnstar

He's 29 of 29 so far including Cooley, with one school yet to go... :lol:

There's probably some decent offers in there though


Cooley admits are automatically disqualified. :lol:

cflames7
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:30 am

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby cflames7 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:51 am

I bumped my LSAT up 7 points and went from:

08-09:
Harvard: Reject
Stanford: Reject
Columbia:Reject
Berkeley: Reject
Virginia: WL
Michigan: WL
Northwestern: WL
Vanderbilt: WL
UCLA: pending

09-10:
Harvard: Admit
Stanford: pending
Columbia: Admit
NYU: Admit + finalist for Law, Economics, and Politics scholars program
Chicago: Admit +$75k
Penn: Admit +Levy
Georgetown: Admit
Toronto: Admit

Maybe not the best cycle, but possibly the biggest turn-a-round.

User avatar
Herb Watchfell
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby Herb Watchfell » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:58 am

cflames7 wrote:I bumped my LSAT up 7 points and went from:

08-09:
Harvard: Reject
Stanford: Reject
Columbia:Reject
Berkeley: Reject
Virginia: WL
Michigan: WL
Northwestern: WL
Vanderbilt: WL
UCLA: pending

09-10:
Harvard: Admit
Stanford: pending
Columbia: Admit
NYU: Admit + finalist for Law, Economics, and Politics scholars program
Chicago: Admit +$75k
Penn: Admit +Levy
Georgetown: Admit
Toronto: Admit

Maybe not the best cycle, but possibly the biggest turn-a-round.


Image

hopin10
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby hopin10 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:05 am

I'm pretty happy with the cycle I had this year: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/hopin10.

I think it aligns with what the numbers would predict, though I took the LSAT twice (which was a big worry for me, having scored in the low 160s initially). The full scholarships at Columbia/NYU are what's really making me feel like a fortunate guy this cycle.
Last edited by hopin10 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:14 am

hopin10 wrote:I'm pretty happy with the cycle I had this year: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/hopin10.

I think it aligns with what the numbers would predict, though I took the LSAT twice (which was a big worry for me, having scored in the low 160s initially). The scholarships are what's really making me feel like a fortunate guy this cycle.


3.8 /175 and you don't get either Y or S? That's average.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:24 am

roguey wrote:I've been pretty impressed with my cycle, but I think that has more to do with applying to everywhere I could (not any real reaches though) and getting in everywhere I applied so far (except a waitlist at UIUC). I applied to 35 schools starting January 16: So far 29 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 5 pending, 21 scholarships, $1,284,800 total scholarship funds offered. I don't know if my cycle would be considered a really good cycle since none of the schools were outside my score comfort zone, but I'm darn proud, lol.


Phenominal cycle no matter what. For you to have such great consistency, your essays, letters and softs were really good, or at least solid. You might have reached for a few top-20 schools. Who knows? You might have gotten into one or two of them. Maybe you should have tried GWU, WUSTL, Texas, GULC, Duke or Cornell.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:27 am

cflames7 wrote:I bumped my LSAT up 7 points and went from:

08-09:
Harvard: Reject
Stanford: Reject
Columbia:Reject
Berkeley: Reject
Virginia: WL
Michigan: WL
Northwestern: WL
Vanderbilt: WL
UCLA: pending

09-10:
Harvard: Admit
Stanford: pending
Columbia: Admit
NYU: Admit + finalist for Law, Economics, and Politics scholars program
Chicago: Admit +$75k
Penn: Admit +Levy
Georgetown: Admit
Toronto: Admit

Maybe not the best cycle, but possibly the biggest turn-a-round.


Impressive!

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:28 am

cflames7 wrote:I bumped my LSAT up 7 points and went from:

08-09:
Harvard: Reject
Stanford: Reject
Columbia:Reject
Berkeley: Reject
Virginia: WL
Michigan: WL
Northwestern: WL
Vanderbilt: WL
UCLA: pending

09-10:
Harvard: Admit
Stanford: pending
Columbia: Admit
NYU: Admit + finalist for Law, Economics, and Politics scholars program
Chicago: Admit +$75k
Penn: Admit +Levy
Georgetown: Admit
Toronto: Admit

Maybe not the best cycle, but possibly the biggest turn-a-round.


Was this with 3 scores? In any case, congrats! You have some pretty amazing choices.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:29 am

roguey wrote:
CG614 wrote:You do realize that those scholarships are mutually exclusive, right?

:P


SweeneyTodd wrote:Your story is interesting (just checked out your stats). Congrats on your accomplishments. Where will you be attending next fall?

Thank you!! Well, it is now down to two schools: Case and Stetson (unless I can negotiate the poo out of San Diego). It would be Case hands down, but Stetson is opening up a new dual degree program with the Universidad de Granada. Two law degrees for the price of 1 & 1/3. It's a four year program, and the scholarship will cover one of the two years I'd spend in Granada. Not sure if that will make up for the lack of national reputation, but being able to practice law in Spain for an immigration attorney really can't hurt. Imm attorneys love to see foreign law degrees. I'll be visiting Stetson this weekend, and I am planning on visiting Case two weekends from now. Hopefully I can make a decision by the 15th, lol.



If you'd like I can foward you one of my rejection letters, so you know what they look like.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”