TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AngryAvocado

Silver

TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Post by AngryAvocado » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:48 am

I know this runs contrary to TLS' natural tendency toward bitter pessimism, but I thought it'd be interesting to see who some of this cycle's best performers were. I'm looking more for people that got into mega-reach(es) than people with 4.33/181 who swept HYS, but I suppose both would fit the bill.

Anyhow, who do you think had the best cycle? I might add a poll if we can get some nominees going.

CardinalRules

Gold

Re: TLS' "Best Cycle of the Year" Award

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:30 am

Crackberry had a pretty impressive one, I remember, as did BioEBear.

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:41 am

CardinalRules wrote:Crackberry had a pretty impressive one, I remember, as did BioEBear.
+1

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:47 am

D. H2Oman

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:23 am

D. H2Oman wrote:D. H2Oman
Not gonna fight you for this one...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

roecyris

New

Post by roecyris » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:21 am

Last edited by roecyris on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:24 am

roecyris wrote:$50 says the "best cycle of the year" goes to an urm.

sorry to seem like a jerk, it's early and I've been up all night lol so I'm just saying... (not like you didn't think it too!)
No, we didn't, and I suggest everyone else just ignore this post and get on with what could be a nice thread. With numbers and schools, please, the nominees are . . .

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:05 am

crackberry and kretzy.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:22 am

I've been pretty impressed with my cycle, but I think that has more to do with applying to everywhere I could (not any real reaches though) and getting in everywhere I applied so far (except a waitlist at UIUC). I applied to 35 schools starting January 16: So far 29 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 5 pending, 21 scholarships, $1,284,800 total scholarship funds offered. I don't know if my cycle would be considered a really good cycle since none of the schools were outside my score comfort zone, but I'm darn proud, lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:29 am

roguey wrote:, $1,284,800 total scholarship funds offered.
+ your tar

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:49 am

roguey wrote:I've been pretty impressed with my cycle, but I think that has more to do with applying to everywhere I could (not any real reaches though) and getting in everywhere I applied so far (except a waitlist at UIUC). I applied to 35 schools starting January 16: So far 29 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 5 pending, 21 scholarships, $1,284,800 total scholarship funds offered. I don't know if my cycle would be considered a really good cycle since none of the schools were outside my score comfort zone, but I'm darn proud, lol.
You do realize that those scholarships are mutually exclusive, right?

SweeneyTodd

New

Post by SweeneyTodd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:50 am

roguey wrote:I've been pretty impressed with my cycle, but I think that has more to do with applying to everywhere I could (not any real reaches though) and getting in everywhere I applied so far (except a waitlist at UIUC). I applied to 35 schools starting January 16: So far 29 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 5 pending, 21 scholarships, $1,284,800 total scholarship funds offered. I don't know if my cycle would be considered a really good cycle since none of the schools were outside my score comfort zone, but I'm darn proud, lol.
Your story is interesting (just checked out your stats). Congrats on your accomplishments. Where will you be attending next fall?

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:00 am

hannah87 wrote:crackberry and kretzy.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:05 am

CG614 wrote: You do realize that those scholarships are mutually exclusive, right?
:P

SweeneyTodd wrote: Your story is interesting (just checked out your stats). Congrats on your accomplishments. Where will you be attending next fall?
Thank you!! Well, it is now down to two schools: Case and Stetson (unless I can negotiate the poo out of San Diego). It would be Case hands down, but Stetson is opening up a new dual degree program with the Universidad de Granada. Two law degrees for the price of 1 & 1/3. It's a four year program, and the scholarship will cover one of the two years I'd spend in Granada. Not sure if that will make up for the lack of national reputation, but being able to practice law in Spain for an immigration attorney really can't hurt. Imm attorneys love to see foreign law degrees. I'll be visiting Stetson this weekend, and I am planning on visiting Case two weekends from now. Hopefully I can make a decision by the 15th, lol.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:22 am

roguey wrote:
CG614 wrote: You do realize that those scholarships are mutually exclusive, right?

SweeneyTodd wrote: Your story is interesting (just checked out your stats). Congrats on your accomplishments. Where will you be attending next fall?
Thank you!! Well, it is now down to two schools: Case and Stetson (unless I can negotiate the poo out of San Diego). It would be Case hands down, but Stetson is opening up a new dual degree program with the Universidad de Granada. Two law degrees for the price of 1 & 1/3. It's a four year program, and the scholarship will cover one of the two years I'd spend in Granada. Not sure if that will make up for the lack of national reputation, but being able to practice law in Spain for an immigration attorney really can't hurt. Imm attorneys love to see foreign law degrees. I'll be visiting Stetson this weekend, and I am planning on visiting Case two weekends from now. Hopefully I can make a decision by the 15th, lol.
so your goal is to practice law in spain? or practice immigration law in the US? how exactly does having a degree from some law school in Spain help your career in American immigration law?
I really can't imagine what the point of a dual degree between Stetson and some spanish school is? I guess because some stupid kids will imagine themselves as super international spain/america lawyers flying back and forth in a gulfstream working on big half spain half america deals that require that super rare and in demand admission to the Florida and Spanish bar.
I mean this is like one step away from offering to name a star after you if you go to their law school.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:50 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:
roguey wrote:

so your goal is to practice law in spain? or practice immigration law in the US? how exactly does having a degree from some law school in Spain help your career in American immigration law?
I really can't imagine what the point of a dual degree between Stetson and some spanish school is? I guess because some stupid kids will imagine themselves as super international spain/america lawyers flying back and forth in a gulfstream working on big half spain half america deals that require that super rare and in demand admission to the Florida and Spanish bar.
I mean this is like one step away from offering to name a star after you if you go to their law school.
Immigration law firms like to hire those with foreign law degrees, because it adds to the perceived prestige of the firm in the eyes of clients. Tons of attorneys claim "hablamos español" because they spent a summer in Mexico in undergrad, but they can barely talk in present tense. When shopping for an attorney, Spanish-speakers are more likely to gravitate to an attorney with obvious fluency in Spanish, as evidenced by a degree. Having a foreign law degree also clearly demonstrates that you have a better understanding of issues facing immigrants; you've been one. There are also those who wish to visit, do business in, or immigrate to other countries. Having the ability to advise clients on EU immigration policy opens an entirely new client base that a firm could not previously access. It is obvious that your knowledge of the scope of and the market for immigration law is lacking, which is not that uncommon, especially for TLS.

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:01 am

I don't really understand how this would qualify for a hypothetical "Best Cycle of the Year" award. Here we have a person with average stats (3.6/164) that applied to 35 of the roughly 200 accredited law schools in the country. (17.5% of all law schools). Acceptances pour in, but from all these average schools, what's the point?

A best cycle winner is someone who is accepted to Yale.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:07 am

Managamy.

teehee

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:16 am

I've been following you on LSN, impressive. But aggrivating, because we applied to a lot of the same schools :)

lunu

New

Post by lunu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:24 am

nope. i disagree with this thread in principle. why are we giving the people who have so much already anything? does the person with the best cycle really need any more validation??

stop it.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:28 am

I nominate WhiskeyGuy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:29 am

Rawlsian wrote:I nominate WhiskeyGuy.
Wow. Just wow.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:35 am

roguey wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:I nominate WhiskeyGuy.
Wow. Just wow.
Nice. I usually heap a generous amount of snark on...well just about everything on TLS, but I've got much respect for anyone who was able to come up on a reservation and succeed. That's a hard fucking life.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:36 am

lunu wrote:nope. i disagree with this thread in principle. why are we giving the people who have so much already anything? does the person with the best cycle really need any more validation??

stop it.
Isn't this why TLS was created?

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:43 am

i had a pretty good cycle. i've only been rejected by university of washington so far (probably stanford too though!). 3.9/168. Definitely got into some unexpected reaches. i think there are probably quite a few people like me though who squeaked into their reaches with some good luck, etc.

lsn link in my profile if anyone is interested.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”