Cornell vs. Arizona ($$)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Adrian_8am

Cornell vs. Arizona ($$)

Postby Adrian_8am » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:31 pm

Last edited by Adrian_8am on Thu May 17, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msbeautifulbasham

Re: Cornell vs. Arizona ($$)

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm sure most people on this forum will tell you to take Cornell, but in my opinion, if you are from Arizona, save yourself the money and go to Arizona. I had this same situation with Duke at fill price. I threw out Duke, though, because I just can't justify that level of debt, when I plan to move back to Arizona anyway. I'm very debt averse though. It comes down to whether you actually plan to stay in Arizona and if you are willing to take on debt. For me, the choice was a hard one, but I just couldn't justify the high price tag of Duke.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:38 pm

If you wanna work in Biglaw, Clerkships, Academia, etc. go to Cornell. If you want to work in Arizona, go to Arizona

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:22 am

Won't you have to borrow for living expenses in Arizona? My bet is you end up with more than $24k in debt.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:28 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:Won't you have to borrow for living expenses in Arizona? My bet is you end up with more than $24k in debt.

I agree, I think you are grossly underestimating your COA at Arizona. It looks like you are only saying you'll be 24k in debt from tuition. (20k per year minus 12k per year scholly=8k per year, which is 24k over 3 years.) But don't forget you need loans for COL and fees as well. You're probably looking at at least 50-60k in debt, unless you are living with your parents or something.

Still, if you wanna stay in AZ, go to Arizona. If you want to go elsewhere, then Cornell.

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:27 am

I have a home in Arizona, will not pay rent... And the thing is I don't know if I want to stay in az, I really don't mind where I'll work, I will work anywhere that will help my career

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:49 am

Thank you, appreciate the insight...

Do you know if Cornell offers financial assistance, other than by need... Most likely I won't receive grants...

Should I email Cornell stating that I have been receiving financial assistance from other universities?

Thanks!

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:59 am

Adrian_8am wrote:Thank you, appreciate the insight...

Do you know if Cornell offers financial assistance, other than by need... Most likely I won't receive grants...

Should I email Cornell stating that I have been receiving financial assistance from other universities?

Thanks!

I am not sure what their policies other than the Deans Scholarship. I received on of those ($120,000 in Merit) and am withdrawing so there will be a few open to give

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Do you recommend emailing and explaining the situation?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:10 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:If you wanna work in Biglaw, Clerkships, Academia, etc. go to Cornell. If you want to work in Arizona, go to Arizona

This is the right answer, but you're missing one option:

Arizona has some big firms. If you want a big firm in Arizona, and you are from Arizona, go to Cornell.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:12 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:If you wanna work in Biglaw, Clerkships, Academia, etc. go to Cornell. If you want to work in Arizona, go to Arizona

Arizona has some big firms. If you want a big firm in Arizona, and you are from Arizona, go to Cornell.

:lol: :lol:

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:13 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

:?:

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Adrian_8am wrote:Do you recommend emailing and explaining the situation?

I have two friends who are 3Ls. One used their BU scholly as leverage to get a better offer from Emory. The other friend, based on the advice of the first, used her full ride to UCLA as leverage to get about $50k knocked off the price at Stanford.

Point is, you have leverage at virtually any school that wants you. I would call and explain the situation.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:29 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:

Is this necessarily the case? Certainly it would be easier to break into Phoenix Biglaw with a T14 degree, but many of the larger Phoenix firms (especially those based in Phoenix) are heavily populated with ASU/UA grads. If you can finish at the top of your class at ASU/UA and can network a bit, isn't Phoenix Biglaw a pretty good possibility?

mbw

Postby mbw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:44 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
Adrian_8am wrote:Do you recommend emailing and explaining the situation?

I have two friends who are 3Ls. One used their BU scholly as leverage to get a better offer from Emory. The other friend, based on the advice of the first, used her full ride to UCLA as leverage to get about $50k knocked off the price at Stanford.

Point is, you have leverage at virtually any school that wants you. I would call and explain the situation.

BU and Emory are comparable schools, and such schools are willing to consider matching aid. Not so much when you're talking a large disparity in rank/prestige/whatev.

Most financial aid awards haven't yet been released for Cornell (with the exception of the Dean's Scholarship) so you actually don't know that you'd have to pay sticker. But if you don't know for sure that you want to stay in Arizona, my suggestion would be to invest in a good winter coat and boots. It gets cold here in Ithaca.

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:49 pm

If az biglaw would be top 10% in Arizona... What top % would I need from Cornell for biglaw in az?

mbw

Postby mbw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Adrian_8am wrote:If az biglaw would be top 10% in Arizona... What top % would I need from Cornell for biglaw in az?

Frankly, it depends a bit on your current connections. If you know people now, it'll be much easier to go back, whatever your rank - I have a friend who had multiple 1L summer offers, both judicial and law firm, in a neighboring state. If you choose Cornell, start cultivating contacts - join the AZ bar association, try and meet some judges, etc., and let them know you're going East, but want to return. Sometimes I think people put too much stock in top __%, especially in secondary markets.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:34 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

Is this necessarily the case? Certainly it would be easier to break into Phoenix Biglaw with a T14 degree, but many of the larger Phoenix firms (especially those based in Phoenix) are heavily populated with ASU/UA grads. If you can finish at the top of your class at ASU/UA and can network a bit, isn't Phoenix Biglaw a pretty good possibility?

This depends on the firm. Realize that the top few firms in Phoenix are only interviewing the top ten or so students from UofA/ASU. In the current economy, I can't imagine any firm in Phoenix is taking more than half a dozen summer associates, and a lot of those are going to come from T14 + Texas and Vanderbilt. There are way more UofA/ASU Law Review people with no offers in Phoenix than any 0L would like to believe.

I would go to Cornell in a heartbeat. It could be the difference between needing median to open certain doors to needing top 5% or better.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”