Arizona vs Cornell..Live in Arizona, submitted both deposits

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Adrian_8am

Arizona vs Cornell..Live in Arizona, submitted both deposits

Postby Adrian_8am » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:08 pm

Last edited by Adrian_8am on Thu May 17, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jks289

Re: Arizona vs Cornell..Live in Arizona, submitted both deposits

Postby jks289 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Do you plan on working in Arizona? If so, maybe you should consider the costs. Otherwise, go to Cornell. You end up walking away from the deposit but that isn't such a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:23 pm

I am not sure where I want to work, I certainly would not mind working in Arizona, but I do not have a preference for any city...

I would be willing to work anywhere, I would probably choose what is best for my career.

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Adrian_8am wrote:I am not sure where I want to work, I certainly would not mind working in Arizona, but I do not have a preference for any city...

I would be willing to work anywhere, I would probably choose what is best for my career.

Cornell will be best for your career. Forget about the deposit.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Adrian_8am wrote:I am not sure where I want to work, I certainly would not mind working in Arizona, but I do not have a preference for any city...

Cornell is best for your career overall. Arizona is only going to place regionally. Unless you are really, really debt-adverse it sounds like this is an easy call.

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:43 pm

Last edited by Adrian_8am on Thu May 17, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:44 pm

sorry for the typos, I am using my Iphone at work...

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:48 pm

Adrian_8am wrote:Thank you,

I am not extremely debt averse...

My parents paid for my undergraudate tuition, I just don't know how its like to be in debt, and I just keep hearing horrid stories about law students at top schools...

For intance, my brother is a 3L at U of A, and he is just told me all the negative aspects of having debt and why staying in Arizona would be the best choice for me...

Can somebody please tell me all the positive aspects about going to cornell with a lot more debt than staying in Az, that way, I can have a well-though argument with him...

Thanks again for your insight

Job prospects for one. If you go to U of A you are stuck in Arizona. If that was the plan all along, then that isn't a big deal. But if you want any kind of national mobility Cornell's name is going to help exponentially more. There are subtler reasons, like prestige, quality of professors and classmates, clinics. But the only reason to justify so much debt is because it will help you land a job to pay it off. If you want to work in BigLaw the Cornell name is especially imperative.

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Last edited by Adrian_8am on Thu May 17, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newyorklaw23

Postby newyorklaw23 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Adrian_8am wrote:Ok thanks a lot I really appreciate it...

Although it seems like a no brainer to many...

Its hard for me, I have lived all my life in Az, very close to my family...

Do you know if the cost of living is high in Ithaca?

Is it better to live at the dorms?

Any insight on Cornell is appreciated.

I went to Cornell undergrad, graduated fairly recently, but spent a lot of time in the law school and knew quite a few law students. You probably do not want to live in the dorms;you would spend all your time in one building. There is a vibrant, fun, inexpensive neighborhood right next to the law school called Collegetown where upperclassmen and grad students live and socialize. There's also another off-campus neighborhood, North Campus, with upperclassmen and grad students but it is somewhat quiet/isolated, and a long walk to the law school.

Overall cost of living is about as low as you can get for a student. Rent averages about 400-700, depending on house/apartment building, amenities. I would definitely recommend having a car. It makes trips to town for grocery shopping much easier. No decent grocery shopping on/near campus, but a 5 minute drive downtown provides great supermarkets, restaurants, indie/mainstream movie theatres, and a few quaint shops.

Overall i dont' think Ithaca/Cornell deserves the reputation it gets on here, but definitely visit to see if it's somewhere you can be happy. Even if you choose U of A you'll be glad you at least fully considered the option.

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”