how fck is an app in review for fckin over 2months?!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hotdog123

Re: how fck is an app in review for fckin over 2months?!!

Postby hotdog123 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:42 am

^ best avatar on tls

dsa1

Postby dsa1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:28 pm

I've been told to wait a couple more weeks and then talk to the admissions officers?

what?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:23 pm

katjust wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
magicman wrote:I don't think so, I think you are just a tool. My guess (judging by your 16 post per day) is that you troll this, and probably many other internet message boards, trying to sound superior so as to make up for the inadequacies of the loser sitting in front of the computer screen.

Holy flawed assumptions, Batman.

I love it when newbs come in and start trying to rip on people and pretend like they know what they're talking about. It's entertaining.

Actually, the post used evidence to establish a conclusion. There was not a lot of evidence, so at best this was a moderately weak inductive argument.

You think having a single piece of evidence somehow means that the following assumptions aren't flawed? There's a whole chain of flawed assumptions there that follow his single piece of "evidence". Yes, the post above used evidence to establish a conclusion. It used one piece of evidence and several flawed assumptions in a row. Worse for you, this isn't inductive reasoning at all. Inductive reasoning works more like this:

X posts on a message board 16 times per day.
X is a troll.
Therefore, all people who post on a message board 16 times per day are trolls.

See, you attribute properties to a class of people based on a single person's behavior. That's what inductive reasoning is, but it's not what the above post did. Instead, the above post contained the following (flawed) assumptions:

X posts on a message board 16 times per day.
X is a troll on TLS.
Therefore, X is a troll elsewhere on the Internet.

How do those things connect together at all? Even if 16 posts per day does equate to trolling (which is a flawed assumption in itself), how do you resolve from that the same individual is doing something entirely unrelated to his TLS behavior? How is that inductive reasoning at all? It's kind of deductive reasoning, except that using deductive reasoning to reach that conclusion still requires a flawed assumption (that people who troll TLS also spend their time trolling elsewhere on the Internet).

katjust wrote:However, your original response was also attacking someone who used evidence to establish their "skewed" view of the thread. And as opposed to utilizing any evidence to respond, you simply use terse cliche conclusionary responses to any thread that you do not agree with. So, I submit this as more evidence to the growing pile that points to the conclusion that you are in fact a loser.

I'm assuming you're referring to the berkeleykel06 post. What "evidence" are you referring to? You keep using the word "evidence" in odd and nonsensical ways. I think that word does not mean what you think it means. The only thing that was said was that the OP's rant was not directed at anyone in particular, and then inferred from that that we were rude.

Personally, I think it's rude to come on here into a forum full of people who've been obviously waiting for 4 and 5 months for a response on their apps and then curse and scream about how f'ing ridiculous it is that your app has been in review for 2 months. 2 months is an outright normal wait time! If you don't ED, then 2 months is actually a pretty short time to get a decision back at most schools. Most people here have actually been waiting longer than that at this point, and it only takes a pretty quick look at the boards to realize that. I pointed all this out already in an earlier comment, too.

Think about it this way: If you were sitting in a restaurant waiting for your meal for almost an hour, and the guy next to you started cursing and yelling loudly about how it's been 15 minutes and he's entitled to his steak now, would you really have that much sympathy for him?

I certainly don't mind complaining and commiserating, but if you're not gonna do it with tact, I'm not going to show you any, either.

katjust wrote:Oh, and you also used the term "newb", which is negative one million coolness points.

Oh yeah, 'cause I'm so worried about whether you think I'm cool.

Are you done being pwned now, or would you like some more?

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Ugh.

TLS is like an echo chamber of jerk-offs trying to one-up each other.

I hope law school isn't really this chock full of obsessive, neurotic, insecure ass-hats.

acoon624

Postby acoon624 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:27 pm

DonnyMost wrote:Ugh.

I hope law school isn't really this chock full of obsessive, neurotic, insecure ass-hats.

+1.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:33 pm

lol at this thread going beyond 3 total posts.

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:39 pm

I think the world is full of these types of people, and this is magnified in the "internet world," as these types of people often are forced to live online because not many people want to be their friend in real life.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:52 pm

adameus wrote:
I think the world is full of these types of people, and this is magnified in the "internet world," as these types of people often are forced to live online because not many people want to be their friend in real life.

I'm thinking it's the focus/point (law) of the forum, not the internet itself.

tintin

Postby tintin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:09 pm

ive been ur at stanford since early november... :roll:

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:11 pm

Well, I can understand the frustration of dsa1, and dsa1 has my complete sympathy. I don't see how it is rude to complain about something just because someone has it worse. If so, OP is in glad company on this board. I see on this board all the time people complaining about how they only received $60,000 or some like figure from a school I am looking at receiving NOTHING from IF I get accepted. I would give my right arm to have the "problems" that some of the people on here cry about all the time, but I don't complain about how "rude" they are for voicing their frustration.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:14 pm

dsa1 wrote:is the admin committee each reading on letter per day?

wtf.. ridiculous

that's all

Generally, the longer the adcom takes, the better your prospects, unless your index was above 85% for a school or something like that. Be glad they are giving you a serious look. That 8 weeks could turn into 12, which could turn into an e-mail with the following title line: "Your Admission to Stanford."

hungryjumps

Postby hungryjumps » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:29 pm

devilishangelrjp wrote:Well, I can understand the frustration of dsa1, and dsa1 has my complete sympathy. I don't see how it is rude to complain about something just because someone has it worse. If so, OP is in glad company on this board. I see on this board all the time people complaining about how they only received $60,000 or some like figure from a school I am looking at receiving NOTHING from IF I get accepted. I would give my right arm to have the "problems" that some of the people on here cry about all the time, but I don't complain about how "rude" they are for voicing their frustration.

I think the issue here is that dsa1 started an entirely new thread in the forum "Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists" to complain about something that is often discussed in individual school threads. If you look through this forum, this thread is quite the outlier. I certainly don't think people would have reacted as strongly had dsa1 voiced the original complaint in the relevant school's thread. Plenty of people gripe about the long review process and lack of scholarship money in individual school threads and receive a lot more sympathy there. It is for this reason that I think the vitriol heaped upon dsa1 is well-deserved.

Jaggles

Postby Jaggles » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:31 pm

It is. Whats worse, the legal profession is full of them.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:34 pm

tintin wrote:ive been ur at stanford since early november... :roll:

+1

(and I could wait much longer if needed :P)

foxyeconomist

Postby foxyeconomist » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:38 pm

adameus wrote:

Vanwinkle, I'll be your friend. I completely agree with everything you said. I just decided dsa was too immature (see: swear word use & misspelling - if that's how you feel, spell the word correctly because we're all adults and you don't need to use it more than once to make a point) and lazy (see: not reading the boards before posting) to deserve a reply. Thank you for doing the dirty work.

I assume dsa will be the one with no friends as she started venting before reading what other people had to say. Bad listener=bad friend.

Sorry to take sides but I was frustrated with you from the start for needing your own thread to basically repeat what was being said with specificity on all the individual school topics. Best of luck to you with admissions though.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:43 pm

hungryjumps wrote:
devilishangelrjp wrote:Well, I can understand the frustration of dsa1, and dsa1 has my complete sympathy. I don't see how it is rude to complain about something just because someone has it worse. If so, OP is in glad company on this board. I see on this board all the time people complaining about how they only received $60,000 or some like figure from a school I am looking at receiving NOTHING from IF I get accepted. I would give my right arm to have the "problems" that some of the people on here cry about all the time, but I don't complain about how "rude" they are for voicing their frustration.

I think the issue here is that dsa1 started an entirely new thread in the forum "Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists" to complain about something that is often discussed in individual school threads. If you look through this forum, this thread is quite the outlier. I certainly don't think people would have reacted as strongly had dsa1 voiced the original complaint in the relevant school's thread. Plenty of people gripe about the long review process and lack of scholarship money in individual school threads and receive a lot more sympathy there. It is for this reason that I think the vitriol heaped upon dsa1 is well-deserved.

There's a word I don't see everyday. I'll never get a law degree at this rate. This is what I get for spending too much time on farmville. OoO! my artichokes are ready. :oops:
Last edited by unknownscholar on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:44 pm

You are officially crowned "funniest mofo ever" Donny.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm trying to be patient myself, but I do think admissions committees could stand to be more transparent about how the review process works. Simply posting that an app is "in review" on your status checker doesn't tell you anything and in fact makes waiting worse, because it gives the impression that someone is actively doing something with your file when that's obviously not the case. Giving a general outline of what happens to a typical application from the time it's submitted to the time a decision is made would make applicants less anxious and probably cut down on the annoying e-mails the adcomms have to wade through. I would guess most schools use a fairly regimented review process. I see no reason why they need to keep it a secret.

StoneontaState

Postby StoneontaState » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:30 pm

j.wellington wrote:I'm trying to be patient myself, but I do think admissions committees could stand to be more transparent about how the review process works. Simply posting that an app is "in review" on your status checker doesn't tell you anything and in fact makes waiting worse, because it gives the impression that someone is actively doing something with your file when that's obviously not the case. Giving a general outline of what happens to a typical application from the time it's submitted to the time a decision is made would make applicants less anxious and probably cut down on the annoying e-mails the adcomms have to wade through. I would guess most schools use a fairly regimented review process. I see no reason why they need to keep it a secret.

I thought about this too. I don't think they have the personnel to go through thousands of people's status checkers a day and update them with every little change, and I doubt they would hire someone to do that even if it was for minimum wage. They way they see it is YOU have to wait because they're trying to pick the best possible class for THEIR school and you have to be patient.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:13 pm

unknownscholar wrote:I've been in review for 2 months at one school (17 weeks complete). And also sent to the reserve pile at cornell for a decision sometime in May? I forget. And waitlisted at all my top choices. all my apps were in by the second wk of November. It appears that the school where I'm IR for 2 months has a long wait by standard, so I'm not overly optimistic that it's a good sign, but I've also been waitlisted/held at schools around the same rank when I should have been an auto-reject by the numbers. So it's hard to say. I think we have to presume the wait is good for full consideration. I find it difficult to reconcile such a long wait for a decision that should be an auto-reject, unless they were looking at a variety of factors. All this said, I'll be satisfied with any decision at this point because enough time has gone by for me to feel like my app has gotten a fair shake. I found the fast rejections to be the most unsettling.

I think this is the best analysis, so far, considering the title of this forum. I mean, how seriously can one take the ensuing replies with such a title? However, as I followed this thread (quite amusedly I must say), I am in total agreement with unknownscholar. Take, for example, my experience: I have an auto-reject lsat score (no argument), and this is evidenced by getting flat-out rejected by 7 of the 8 schools I applied to this cycle (and, yes, the quick rejections are unsettling). On the other hand, the last school I am waiting to hear from, I have, in fact, been "in review" for 8 weeks, now. I'll take that 8 weeks any day of the week over a quick rejection. And, if that 8 weeks turns into 12, and a potential acceptance, then it was worth the wait. At any rate, the longer the adcomms take, the better, and let's leave it at that.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”