What Does Waitlisted Really Mean?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Huluba23
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:28 pm

What Does Waitlisted Really Mean?

Postby Huluba23 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Seriously, is it worth riding out waitlists to see if you will get accepted or is a waitlist really just a soft rejection?

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: What Does Waitlisted Really Mean?

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Huluba23 wrote:Seriously, is it worth riding out waitlists to see if you will get accepted or is a waitlist really just a soft rejection?


it means, if they don't get enough people to throw down deposits from their initial acceptances, if and only then will we accept you. which is usually the case since many people withdraw, but doesn't always have the to be case.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: What Does Waitlisted Really Mean?

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:36 pm

too bad they dont rank you on the waitlists lol

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: What Does Waitlisted Really Mean?

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:37 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:too bad they dont rank you on the waitlists lol


some schools do rank them...

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: What Does Waitlisted Really Mean?

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:43 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Huluba23 wrote:Seriously, is it worth riding out waitlists to see if you will get accepted or is a waitlist really just a soft rejection?


it means, if they don't get enough people to throw down deposits from their initial acceptances, if and only then will we accept you. which is usually the case since many people withdraw, but doesn't always have the to be case.


Basically, we don't want you unless we get desperate. I've just started counting waitlists as rejections so I don't get my hopes up.

User avatar
hotdog123
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am

Re: What Does Waitlisted Really Mean?

Postby hotdog123 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:47 pm

I've searched high and low for a real breakdown of the waitlist process, but found nothing.

It would be nice if waitlist numbers (total WLs, total WLs accepted, etc) were made public for us to dissect.

So far, I count it to mean you're pretty much rejected, and if you get admitted, you got lucky.

User avatar
phoenix323
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am

Re: What Does Waitlisted Really Mean?

Postby phoenix323 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:09 pm

DonnyMost wrote:I've searched high and low for a real breakdown of the waitlist process, but found nothing.

It would be nice if waitlist numbers (total WLs, total WLs accepted, etc) were made public for us to dissect.

So far, I count it to mean you're pretty much rejected, and if you get admitted, you got lucky.


You can always check LSN and do a user search for this information. It may not be as reliable as information directly from the schools, but it's something. And if you really are that interested, you could contact the school and ask.

hth




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, Baby Gaga, cephaschen, christinaxcarrie, curry1, joezze, Nobiggie, notausername, potterotter, root_beer, wishywashy and 28 guests