Held at Columbia Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:28 pm

bumping this up.. Held seems to be soft-reject

amkid100
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby amkid100 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:35 am

is it too blunt to tell them in my loci that i will matriculate if admitted?

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby mel2010 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:40 am

amkid100 wrote:is it too blunt to tell them in my loci that i will matriculate if admitted?


I think (not that I'm any more informed than you) that, if true, you should say something like that...but only if you have made up your mind that regardless of the financial situation, you will want to go to Columbia. Of course, making that kind of claim isn't binding, but you probably shouldn't toss it around if you have any desire to negotiate scholarship money/etc later.

That being said, if it's the Truth, then go ahead and say "Columbia is my top choice, and if I am offered admission I will accept it." or something along those lines. Just my 2 cents...

amkid100
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby amkid100 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:49 am

mel2010 wrote:
amkid100 wrote:is it too blunt to tell them in my loci that i will matriculate if admitted?


I think (not that I'm any more informed than you) that, if true, you should say something like that...but only if you have made up your mind that regardless of the financial situation, you will want to go to Columbia. Of course, making that kind of claim isn't binding, but you probably shouldn't toss it around if you have any desire to negotiate scholarship money/etc later.

That being said, if it's the Truth, then go ahead and say "Columbia is my top choice, and if I am offered admission I will accept it." or something along those lines. Just my 2 cents...


ok thanks! i like your 2 cents.

i'm in the fortunate situation of $$ not being a decisive factor, so i'm looking to get into the best school that fits other requirements, even if i have to pay sticker.

soccer1006
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:11 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby soccer1006 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:43 pm

Columbia seems to hold a lot less people than Harvard. This is probably a good thing for us, isn't it?

BeachedBrit
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:30 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby BeachedBrit » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Not necessarily...

We should start to see movement here soon as per last year... :)

BBeauty
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby BBeauty » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Just placed on hold, joining the club.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby Confused7 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:47 pm

BBeauty wrote:Just placed on hold, joining the club.


Welcome! At least we should all be hearing within the next month...

BBeauty
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby BBeauty » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Confused7 wrote:
BBeauty wrote:Just placed on hold, joining the club.


Welcome! At least we should all be hearing within the next month...


Yea, at least NU and Columbia give us a timeframe, unlike harvard lol

noncontributingzero
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby noncontributingzero » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:39 pm

I sent in my LOCI a week and a half ago. When would it be appropriate to call and get confirmation that it arrived safe and sound?

bmore
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby bmore » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Columbia just remembered me. Held :cry:

BBeauty
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby BBeauty » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:44 pm

noncontributingzero wrote:I sent in my LOCI a week and a half ago. When would it be appropriate to call and get confirmation that it arrived safe and sound?

Thats odd, I sent a LOCI a few weeks ago and the responded the next day that they received it and added it to my file. You should probably give them a call.

noncontributingzero
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby noncontributingzero » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:47 pm

BBeauty wrote:
noncontributingzero wrote:I sent in my LOCI a week and a half ago. When would it be appropriate to call and get confirmation that it arrived safe and sound?

Thats odd, I sent a LOCI a few weeks ago and the responded the next day that they received it and added it to my file. You should probably give them a call.


I forgot to mention that I sent it via snail mail, but still...

damage-inc
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby damage-inc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:03 pm

we need movement

User avatar
Weirdlog
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby Weirdlog » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:46 pm

damage-inc wrote:we need movement


Yeah, as I understand it, no holds have seen any movement at all, right? Even the ones (like me) who were in the very first batch of holds?

shnoop
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby shnoop » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:48 pm

is there a difference between reserve and hold?? if so what is it?

lawscholar20
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby lawscholar20 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:17 pm

Checkin In. Was Held on 3/16. I don't really get the whole "Hold" concept. Is it like a "VIP" Waitlist?

lawscholar20
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby lawscholar20 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:04 pm

noncontributingzero wrote:
BBeauty wrote:
noncontributingzero wrote:I sent in my LOCI a week and a half ago. When would it be appropriate to call and get confirmation that it arrived safe and sound?

Thats odd, I sent a LOCI a few weeks ago and the responded the next day that they received it and added it to my file. You should probably give them a call.


I forgot to mention that I sent it via snail mail, but still...

If I am sending in my LOCI via email, should I send a PDF or a straight up email?

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby Confused7 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Hold = "we'll review your application again in a later round, but probably won't look at it until then" (for CLS, they'll probably review Holds again from 3/30-4/22), so not really a straight-up waitlist. Although people say that most holds are really up for being waitlisted.

Reserve = waitlist...

I sent my LOCI as an attached PDF - looks more clean.

lawscholar20
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby lawscholar20 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Confused7 wrote:Hold = "we'll review your application again in a later round, but probably won't look at it until then" (for CLS, they'll probably review Holds again from 3/30-4/22), so not really a straight-up waitlist. Although people say that most holds are really up for being waitlisted.

Reserve = waitlist...

I sent my LOCI as an attached PDF - looks more clean.


What about an additional LOR? Is it wise to send at all? I already sent in 3 through LSAC - not sure if thats the limit at CLS. If I would send in another LOR should I do it via LSAC or send it straight to CLS? I spoke to the office regarding transcripts and they said to send it straight to the admissions office.

I feel like unless I go the whole nine yards. I will have the "what if" feelings when I get WL off the hold. I want to make sure they realize that I would "die" to get in and that I am doing everything possible to bolster my chances.

Does anyone feel that sending an additional LOR, updated transcripts and a LOCI is nudging them too much?

The hold letter only mentioned updated transcripts??

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby Confused7 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:24 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Hold = "we'll review your application again in a later round, but probably won't look at it until then" (for CLS, they'll probably review Holds again from 3/30-4/22), so not really a straight-up waitlist. Although people say that most holds are really up for being waitlisted.

Reserve = waitlist...

I sent my LOCI as an attached PDF - looks more clean.


What about an additional LOR? Is it wise to send at all? I already sent in 3 through LSAC - not sure if thats the limit at CLS. If I would send in another LOR should I do it via LSAC or send it straight to CLS? I spoke to the office regarding transcripts and they said to send it straight to the admissions office.

I feel like unless I go the whole nine yards. I will have the "what if" feelings when I get WL off the hold. I want to make sure they realize that I would "die" to get in and that I am doing everything possible to bolster my chances.

Does anyone feel that sending an additional LOR, updated transcripts and a LOCI is nudging them too much?

The hold letter only mentioned updated transcripts??


Do you think a 4th LOR would contribute something strong to your application? I sent a 4th LOR along with a LOCI after being held. The new LOR was from a professor that I had gotten to know more so than any of my other academic recommenders. FWIW, I'm still on the hold list at CLS, but I sent the same materials to HLS and I subsequently got in off hold there. So something must have been helpful?

If you send the LOR to their office, make sure to have the professor sign the flap and seal it. I'm from the Manhattan area so I hand-delivered the LOR to their office. So I imagine they take mailed LORs as well. If you go through LSAC, however, make sure to fax it to save time.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Bumping for an acceptance after being held.

padthai
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby padthai » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:56 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Bumping for an acceptance after being held.


Congratulations!! Though you don't sound very excited in which case...hand over that acceptance!

How were you contacted? Via email or snail mail?
Did you submit anything after being held?

User avatar
moxiepostulate
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby moxiepostulate » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:19 pm

In via email!! Held in the 1st or 2nd mass hold/slaughter. Sent a LOCI about 3/4 weeks ago.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm

padthai wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Bumping for an acceptance after being held.


Congratulations!! Though you don't sound very excited in which case...hand over that acceptance!

How were you contacted? Via email or snail mail?
Did you submit anything after being held?


E-mail. Submitted an updated resume but thats it.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, Baby Gaga, BruiseWillis, guybourdin, JD2020, NotAGolfer, potterotter and 33 guests