Held at Columbia Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bravo1085

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby bravo1085 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:21 pm

I don't know, but it's forum-wide, so I would assume so.

checkers

Postby checkers » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:35 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
checkers wrote:Good work, that's helpful!

There was a post a few weeks ago about waitlist statistics for the T14. Columbia was the stingiest with waitlist->acceptances, so it's usually game over if you get waitlisted there. Here's hoping that the held people hear back before it comes to that.

I find this tough to believe since so many of my friends here were initially on reserve.

I read that in this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=225363

This is only LSN data, but it should be reliable enough for a general rule. Columbia waitlists many, many applicants (41.7% of all applicants averaged over the past 3 cycles), and of those, 3.2% were admitted. From the LSN data, that's 15 waitlist->admit over the past 3 years. Now the base number (15) is obviously a subset of the true number, but % is probably closer to truth, assuming LSN possesses a reliable sampling of applicants.

Everyone can make of this what they will, but I found it to be sobering. If I get in, awesome, if not, then I won't be let down too hard since I know it's a long-shot.

cocobutterkisses

Postby cocobutterkisses » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:12 pm

sorry hi, first post, but I saw someone say that the deadline for LOCI's has passed. do y'all know if that applies to those of us who just got held? :shock: :shock: :shock:

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:35 pm

cocobutterkisses wrote:sorry hi, first post, but I saw someone say that the deadline for LOCI's has passed. do y'all know if that applies to those of us who just got held? :shock: :shock: :shock:

If you were held 3/24, the Hold letter you received should have said that if you want to submit an LOCI, you should do it by 3/31.

checkers

Postby checkers » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:39 pm

cocobutterkisses wrote:sorry hi, first post, but I saw someone say that the deadline for LOCI's has passed. do y'all know if that applies to those of us who just got held? :shock: :shock: :shock:

When were you held? And did the notice not include a letter specifying a date?

cocobutterkisses

Postby cocobutterkisses » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:40 pm

I just got the hold email yesterday. There's a deadline to fill out the reserve form (April 28), but there is no LOCI deadline mentioned. The only thing that could maybe be about LOCI's was this:

"If you have questions or concerns, or if you believe that materials already submitted need amplification, please forward a written statement to the attention of Dean Nkonye Iwerebon."

or this:

"Particular attention is focused on recent developments—such as final term grades, thesis evaluations, election to Phi Beta Kappa, departmental honors, or other awards bestowed upon graduation for scholarship, leadership, or service."

I already have my letter ready to send, but I might be getting a position with the UN, so I wanted to hold off on that in case I could add that. Would yall suggest just getting the letter out as soon as possible? I could have it in the mail today! *and now I'm panicking*

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:54 pm

cocobutterkisses wrote:I just got the hold email yesterday. There's a deadline to fill out the reserve form (April 28), but there is no LOCI deadline mentioned. The only thing that could maybe be about LOCI's was this:

"If you have questions or concerns, or if you believe that materials already submitted need amplification, please forward a written statement to the attention of Dean Nkonye Iwerebon."

or this:

"Particular attention is focused on recent developments—such as final term grades, thesis evaluations, election to Phi Beta Kappa, departmental honors, or other awards bestowed upon graduation for scholarship, leadership, or service."

I already have my letter ready to send, but I might be getting a position with the UN, so I wanted to hold off on that in case I could add that. Would yall suggest just getting the letter out as soon as possible? I could have it in the mail today! *and now I'm panicking*

It's definitely your call. I also mentioned yesterday that I have a numbers twin from last year's cycle who got accepted on 4/23. I see acceptances on LSN going throughout the month of April. Notably, someone was Held --> Accepted on 4/9. So if I were you, I'd write the LOCI and update them with a substantial UN offer later -- chances are you'll get wait listed and then you can just write another strong LOCI. You're actually in an enviable position.

checkers

Postby checkers » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:58 pm

cocobutterkisses wrote:I just got the hold email yesterday. There's a deadline to fill out the reserve form (April 28)

This confuses me. You were held, but they gave you a reserve form to fill out. I would think if the reserve form was made available to you then Columbia has already decided to offer you a position on the reserve list, which is not a hold. Can you elaborate please?

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:58 pm

cocobutterkisses wrote:I just got the hold email yesterday. There's a deadline to fill out the reserve form (April 28), but there is no LOCI deadline mentioned. The only thing that could maybe be about LOCI's was this:

or this:

Are you sure you were held and not placed on reserve (what Columbia calls their waitlist)? "Reserve form" makes me think it could be the latter, especially since my hold email didn't have any mention of a reserve form...

eta: scooped

Wiggly

Postby Wiggly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:06 pm

Last edited by Wiggly on Sun May 25, 2014 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

cocobutterkisses

Postby cocobutterkisses » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:07 pm

Okay, oops, my mistake, I think I just got overwhelmed by a not automatic rejection from columbia and ran with it. Can someone explain the difference between "hold" and "reserve"? I'm pretty sure I'm on the reserve list, but now I feel like I have no idea what that means. But I will def send out that LOCI now and just keep my fingers crossed for this UN thing!

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:12 pm

cocobutterkisses wrote:Okay, oops, my mistake, I think I just got overwhelmed by a not automatic rejection from columbia and ran with it. Can someone explain the difference between "hold" and "reserve"? I'm pretty sure I'm on the reserve list, but now I feel like I have no idea what that means. But I will def send out that LOCI now and just keep my fingers crossed for this UN thing!

"Hold" just means they have decided to not make an official decision on your application until further notice.
"Reserve" means you were actually waitlisted. You might try to search TLS to see if you can find last year's reserve thread to get an idea of what to expect.

eta-here's last year's reserve thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=208740

cocobutterkisses

Postby cocobutterkisses » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:23 pm

koalacity wrote:
cocobutterkisses wrote:Okay, oops, my mistake, I think I just got overwhelmed by a not automatic rejection from columbia and ran with it. Can someone explain the difference between "hold" and "reserve"? I'm pretty sure I'm on the reserve list, but now I feel like I have no idea what that means. But I will def send out that LOCI now and just keep my fingers crossed for this UN thing!

"Hold" just means they have decided to not make an official decision on your application until further notice.
"Reserve" means you were actually waitlisted. You might try to search TLS to see if you can find last year's reserve thread to get an idea of what to expect.

eta-here's last year's reserve thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=208740

Well that's just a barrel of terrifying. thank you so much for the clarification! i'm off to do more chants to my statue of dean iwerebon made entirely out of bubble gum and tears.

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:11 pm

JSWright101 wrote:Why do I feel like we helds are mostly looking forward to bad news...

This thread needs a cheerleader type. It's filled with too many realists.

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:29 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:
JSWright101 wrote:Why do I feel like we helds are mostly looking forward to bad news...

Lol... maybe all this blatant YP gaming has made us a hardened bunch of cynics...

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:31 pm

waferthinmint wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:

Lol... maybe all this blatant YP gaming has made us a hardened bunch of cynics...

Whole school's probably run by them dirty lawyers.

Wiggly

Postby Wiggly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Last edited by Wiggly on Sun May 25, 2014 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:36 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:

Whole school's probably run by them dirty lawyers.

And yet here we are, sticking around. What does that say about us? :twisted: #babysharks #selfselectingcynics

vivala

Postby vivala » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:37 pm

I was so excited to receive the hold email initially, because I thought my numbers would send me straight to the WL, but seeing all of you in YP territory makes my semi reverse splitter self very sad :cry:

Wiggly

Postby Wiggly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:38 pm

vivala

Postby vivala » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:39 pm

JSWright101 wrote:
vivala wrote:I was so excited to receive the hold email initially, because I thought my numbers would send me straight to the WL, but seeing all of you in YP territory makes my semi reverse splitter self very sad :cry:

Have you informed Columbia that you have the skills of divination? This could sway the adcomms.

Hahaha I guess that would count as a highly unique soft :lol:

Wiggly

Postby Wiggly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:41 pm

vivala

Postby vivala » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:42 pm

JSWright101 wrote:
vivala wrote:
JSWright101 wrote:
vivala wrote:I was so excited to receive the hold email initially, because I thought my numbers would send me straight to the WL, but seeing all of you in YP territory makes my semi reverse splitter self very sad :cry:

Have you informed Columbia that you have the skills of divination? This could sway the adcomms.

Hahaha I guess that would count as a highly unique soft :lol:

Well it's better than I've got (not that I think you'd be taking my seat - to take my seat I must actually have a seat which I don't think I'm getting :roll: sooo).

If only I could predict acceptance waves...

Wiggly

Postby Wiggly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:44 pm

checkers

Postby checkers » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:54 pm

With each passing day I'm less optimistic :/

"If you're waitlisted and you know it, clap your hands"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”