Held at Columbia Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ally Mcbeal

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby Ally Mcbeal » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Submitted my LOCI today. Now for the waiting game :(

paperrev

Postby paperrev » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:29 am

Now that the deadline for LOCIs have passed, perhaps we'll be hearing some news soon??

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:11 pm

Now I'm beginning to imagine the "what ifs" of attending CLS. I can't wait to hear back.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:15 pm

paperrev wrote:Now that the deadline for LOCIs have passed, perhaps we'll be hearing some news soon??

Definitely hope so!

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:53 pm

My numbers and cycle twin from last year heard back on 4/23. Of course, everything about Columbia is strange this year.

checkers

Postby checkers » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:03 pm

I'd have to say that all bets are off this year. At least we can rest easy knowing that the door is shut for new applications, so Columbia shouldn't be spending too much time fielding fresh applications. Scholarship deadlines at peer schools will motivate people to withdraw in the next week or so, which will open up spots, assuming Columbia hasn't overfilled their class.

I know there is no motivation for the school to give out anymore information to us who are waiting, but some general indication of an applicant's strength/desirability would be very appreciated.

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:30 pm

checkers wrote:I'd have to say that all bets are off this year. At least we can rest easy knowing that the door is shut for new applications, so Columbia shouldn't be spending too much time fielding fresh applications. Scholarship deadlines at peer schools will motivate people to withdraw in the next week or so, which will open up spots, assuming Columbia hasn't overfilled their class.

I know there is no motivation for the school to give out anymore information to us who are waiting, but some general indication of an applicant's strength/desirability would be very appreciated.

Unfortunately, this is a school where the waitlist is incredibly hard to get off of. I'm fine with being held but once that WL hits, I'm going to start moving on.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:44 pm

I have a feeling that the early holds may hear start hearing back fairly soon. This is based on virtually nothing :lol:

checkers

Postby checkers » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:59 pm

drawstring wrote:I have a feeling that the early holds may hear start hearing back fairly soon. This is based on virtually nothing :lol:

I like your reasoning and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Looks like people are being waitlisted today, but I can't get anyone to confirm whether or not they were previously held. From the two data points I have, it looks like Columbia isn't hurting for high GPA's right now in the form of reverse splitters (~3.9/~170).

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:00 pm

drawstring wrote:I have a feeling that the early holds may hear start hearing back fairly soon. This is based on virtually nothing :lol:

Magic eight ball might have to make an appearance

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:02 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:

Magic eight ball might have to make an appearance

I like this thought process.

oyvey35

Postby oyvey35 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:10 pm

Hey guys!

Does anyone know how many spots may still be available for us held applicants? Has anyone analyzed the number of reported acceptances?

checkers

Postby checkers » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:05 pm

oyvey35 wrote:Hey guys!

Does anyone know how many spots may still be available for us held applicants? Has anyone analyzed the number of reported acceptances?

It's probably a little too early to do that type of analysis as I'm sure the list fluctuates daily. TLS and Lawschoolnumbers capture only a portion of the applicant pool anyway, so it's hard to say.

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:30 pm

I don't see how a peek at the data could hurt :P

2011-12, Columbia accepted 216 people and 7 off of the wait list (according to LSN)
2012-13, Columbia accepted 195 people and 6 off of the wait list
2013-14, Columbia has accepted 172 people

All LSN caveats that you can think of apply to this data. It's plain that the class is nearly full. ¿There are probably between 30 and 50 spots?

edit: I suck at spelling...
Last edited by fivestarfolds on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oyvey35

Postby oyvey35 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:38 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:I don't see how a peak at the data could hurt :P

2011-12, Columbia accepted 216 people and 7 off of the wait list (according to LSN)

All LSN caveats that you can think of apply to this data. It's plain that the class is nearly full. ¿There are probably between 30 and 50 spots?

Thank you! :D

checkers

Postby checkers » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:41 pm

Good work, that's helpful!

There was a post a few weeks ago about waitlist statistics for the T14. Columbia was the stingiest with waitlist->acceptances, so it's usually game over if you get waitlisted there. Here's hoping that the held people hear back before it comes to that.

oyvey35

Postby oyvey35 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:50 pm

This isn't looking good. I wish there was a "held" option on LSN so we could easily see the outcome of last year's held applicants :cry:

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:15 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:I don't see how a peek at the data could hurt :P

edit: I suck at spelling...

Thanks fivestarfolds!
Welp, this is definitely different from my impression that Columbia had hardly accepted anyone so far! I thought so because I was seeing so many Holds. But now it makes sense... with such a small number of seats left, I'm guessing they probably held way more than they actually have room for, so they could just cherry pick the ones whose LOCIs demonstrated that they would really come and boost dat yield.
Yea or nay?

jagfin

Postby jagfin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:18 pm

damn seems like getting in off the WL is effectively impossible. gahhhh, that feeling of gearing every moment of your life for the last year towards an acceptance at your dream school and then getting waitlisted; it is indistinguishable from heartbreak

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:23 pm

jagfin wrote:damn seems like getting in off the WL is effectively impossible. gahhhh, that feeling of gearing every moment of your life for the last year towards an acceptance at your dream school and then getting waitlisted; it is indistinguishable from heartbreak

:( Sorry to hear that. This whole process can be just so brutal.

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:33 pm

waferthinmint wrote:
jagfin wrote:damn seems like getting in off the WL is effectively impossible. gahhhh, that feeling of gearing every moment of your life for the last year towards an acceptance at your dream school and then getting waitlisted; it is indistinguishable from heartbreak

I'm sorry Jagfin. I've been there.

I applied to NU and U of C last year only to spend 9 months on the wait list at both schools. FWIW, I've had a great cycle this year with my LSAT retake. Hang in there.

I also tend to be very down on wait lists because I had a bad experience with them but I really have no idea how schools other than U of C and NU treat their applicants.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:29 am

checkers wrote:Good work, that's helpful!

There was a post a few weeks ago about waitlist statistics for the T14. Columbia was the stingiest with waitlist->acceptances, so it's usually game over if you get waitlisted there. Here's hoping that the held people hear back before it comes to that.

I find this tough to believe since so many of my friends here were initially on reserve.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:36 am

waferthinmint wrote:

bravo1085

Postby bravo1085 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:52 am

fivestarfolds wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:

FWIW, I've had a great cycle this year with my LSAT Good luck! Follow your dreams!.

quote]

Anyone else notice that everywhere it used to say r-e-t-a-k-e, it now says "Good luck! Follow your dreams"?

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:12 pm

bravo1085 wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:

FWIW, I've had a great cycle this year with my LSAT Good luck! Follow your dreams!.

quote]

Anyone else notice that everywhere it used to say r-e-t-a-k-e, it now says "Good luck! Follow your dreams"?

Haha. I was trying to figure out what happened to my account. Is it an April fools joke?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”