Held at Columbia Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AFP

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby AFP » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:02 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
graphia wrote:E-mail from Columbia just now confirming they got my LOCI through the portal.

When did you submit? I submitted mine over a week ago, and haven't heard anything...

Skimmed their post history, looks like they submitted 02/25. Also, cross-thread thanks for what you said in the NYU topic. I'm rooting for everyone to wise up and send some offers of admission your way.

graphia

Postby graphia » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:56 pm

AFP wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:
graphia wrote:E-mail from Columbia just now confirming they got my LOCI through the portal.

When did you submit? I submitted mine over a week ago, and haven't heard anything...

Skimmed their post history, looks like they submitted 02/25. Also, cross-thread thanks for what you said in the NYU topic. I'm rooting for everyone to wise up and send some offers of admission your way.

Yep, confirming I sent in my LOCI on 2/25 through the portal.

Jessasaurus

Postby Jessasaurus » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Do you think it will reflect poorly on me if I was held in the first group and haven't sent my LOCI yet? I still plan to but I'm just dragging my feet. They said we had until March 28th to send one in, so I'm hoping it won't hurt me that I haven't sent one in yet.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Jessasaurus wrote:Do you think it will reflect poorly on me if I was held in the first group and haven't sent my LOCI yet? I still plan to but I'm just dragging my feet. They said we had until March 28th to send one in, so I'm hoping it won't hurt me that I haven't sent one in yet.

I would try to get it in as soon as you can without sacrificing quality. I can see why someone may think that later = less desire to attend, even if that's not the case.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:47 pm

drawstring wrote:
Jessasaurus wrote:Do you think it will reflect poorly on me if I was held in the first group and haven't sent my LOCI yet? I still plan to but I'm just dragging my feet. They said we had until March 28th to send one in, so I'm hoping it won't hurt me that I haven't sent one in yet.

I would try to get it in as soon as you can without sacrificing quality. I can see why someone may think that later = less desire to attend, even if that's not the case.

Yeah, I would err on the side of earlier rather than later.

Though, IF the rumors that they haven't even glanced at these LOCI are true, it might not matter? But personally, I'd discount the rumor and just submit as soon as you feel you can produce a quality letter.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Ya, they may not even care but I'd treat it like they do to be safe. If I were held at my dream school I would be on a LOCI right away, and the adcoms may have the same outlook; a faster response = more desire to attend.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:57 pm

AFP wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:

D'awwwwww thanks! Also, thanks for skimming post-history for me!

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:30 pm

Just got here. I'm glad that there is one more forum where I can hunker down until mid-August.

oyvey35

Postby oyvey35 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:57 pm

Got an email from Columbia confirming receipt of my LOCI!

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:45 pm

oyvey35 wrote:Got an email from Columbia confirming receipt of my LOCI!

I sent mine a few weeks ago but never received confirmation. How did you send it?

edit: nm, I found the option to submit through the portal.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:43 pm

From what I can gather, no one (that we know of) has had any movement since being held, is that correct?

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:45 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:From what I can gather, no one (that we know of) has had any movement since being held, is that correct?

Pretty sure that's correct.

In past cycles some people held in Jan or Feb got accepted in late March, but we may have to wait longer this year with the extended deadline.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:03 pm

drawstring wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:From what I can gather, no one (that we know of) has had any movement since being held, is that correct?

Pretty sure that's correct.

In past cycles some people held in Jan or Feb got accepted in late March, but we may have to wait longer this year with the extended deadline.

Thanks, that is kind of what I was figuring. I was really hope for something in March, but would not be surprised at all if it ends up being closer to April 25th. Which is unfortunate, as its very likely I'll have committed elsewhere by then and I was very interested in CLS early on.

esther0123

Postby esther0123 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Should I address a specific weakness in my application in my LOCI if I never added an addendum?

Also, is the consensus to use the portal or to send email to admissions? (re: LOCI)

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:36 pm

esther0123 wrote:Should I address a specific weakness in my application in my LOCI if I never added an addendum?

Also, is the consensus to use the portal or to send email to admissions? (re: LOCI)

Didn't receive a confirmation by sending it via email. I'd go through the student portal - there is a tab (if you hunt around) for submitting a loci. Still waiting on confirmation for that as well though.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:51 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:
esther0123 wrote:Should I address a specific weakness in my application in my LOCI if I never added an addendum?

Didn't receive a confirmation by sending it via email. I'd go through the student portal - there is a tab (if you hunt around) for submitting a loci. Still waiting on confirmation for that as well though.

Did you end up sending it through both?

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Bajam wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:

Did you end up sending it through both?

Yes. And in my biggest blunder of the cycle, I edited the LOCI to reflect new information and cut certain portions out. They now potentially have two copies that share half of the same information. Before last week, things were very hazy. I edited the LOCI to be very concrete.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:55 pm

To be clear, no one who was held this cycle has been admitted yet, right?

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:42 pm

paglababa wrote:To be clear, no one who was held this cycle has been admitted yet, right?

Haven't seen any.

Ryan11212

Postby Ryan11212 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:32 am

I'm still so frustrated with being held.

Assuming it really was YP (my GPA is >75%, LSAT >25%), this is only ensuring my not being able to accept if they do offer me admission, because I'm almost certainly going to have to commit elsewhere beforehand. I mean, unless I got a call from HYS (which isn't looking too likely at this point), I'd definitely want to go to Columbia. Whyyyyyy?! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Trig

Postby Trig » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:01 am

Where is this portal that everyone keeps talking about? I was just going to submit my LOCI through the admissions email. My held letter does not mention any sort of portal.

vivala

Postby vivala » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:08 am

Trig wrote:Where is this portal that everyone keeps talking about? I was just going to submit my LOCI through the admissions email. My held letter does not mention any sort of portal.

http://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions/ ... d-interest

orangec90

Postby orangec90 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:35 am

FYI I was scanning last year's Columbia thread and held applicants began hearing back the first/second week of April

Wiggly

Postby Wiggly » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:20 pm

Last edited by Wiggly on Sun May 25, 2014 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan11212

Postby Ryan11212 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:24 pm

JSWright101 wrote:
orangec90 wrote:FYI I was scanning last year's Columbia thread and held applicants began hearing back the first/second week of April

Well if that's true that's kind of hilarious because I'm still waiting on NYU, Harvard (the JS2 at least), Stanford and Michigan and none of them had to 'hold' me to render their decisions at what will be roughly the same time.

Literally in the exact same boat here. All this did was make me less inclined to accept if they do admit me.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”