Held at Columbia Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby wtrc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:00 pm

Agreed with the sentiments ITT. I was in the CLS > NYU camp before this cycle started, I think I am leaning NYU in terms of NYC schools now. If CLS wanted to game the rankings, do it early in the cycle, not later on. And NYU has definitely been amazing in terms of outreach.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:20 pm

wtrc wrote:Agreed with the sentiments ITT. I was in the CLS > NYU camp before this cycle started, I think I am leaning NYU in terms of NYC schools now. If CLS wanted to game the rankings, do it early in the cycle, not later on. And NYU has definitely been amazing in terms of outreach.


THIS.

I feel like I'm in a fucking abusive relationship. I actually LIKE Columbia, because unlike the OTHER motherfucking shitholes I've applied to that pass for law schools, Columbia was actually KIND OF timely in their response. So now, because Columbia abuses me LESS than these other piece of shit schools, I ACTUALLY LIKE THEM.

Time to reconsider life-choices...

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby paglababa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:21 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
wtrc wrote:Agreed with the sentiments ITT. I was in the CLS > NYU camp before this cycle started, I think I am leaning NYU in terms of NYC schools now. If CLS wanted to game the rankings, do it early in the cycle, not later on. And NYU has definitely been amazing in terms of outreach.


THIS.

I feel like I'm in a fucking abusive relationship. I actually LIKE Columbia, because unlike the OTHER motherfucking shitholes I've applied to that pass for law schools, Columbia was actually KIND OF timely in their response. So now, because Columbia abuses me LESS than these other piece of shit schools, I ACTUALLY LIKE THEM.

Time to reconsider life-choices...


Image

User avatar
Arrow4Christ
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby Arrow4Christ » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:22 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
wtrc wrote:Agreed with the sentiments ITT. I was in the CLS > NYU camp before this cycle started, I think I am leaning NYU in terms of NYC schools now. If CLS wanted to game the rankings, do it early in the cycle, not later on. And NYU has definitely been amazing in terms of outreach.


THIS.

I feel like I'm in a fucking abusive relationship. I actually LIKE Columbia, because unlike the OTHER motherfucking shitholes I've applied to that pass for law schools, Columbia was actually KIND OF timely in their response. So now, because Columbia abuses me LESS than these other piece of shit schools, I ACTUALLY LIKE THEM.

Time to reconsider life-choices...


Image

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:32 pm

It's been a long four months where it feels like everyone else with my numbers has gotten into a T6, EXCEPT me.

Image

User avatar
checkers
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby checkers » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:38 pm

Yes, yesss, let the hate flow through you. I will be patiently waiting like a good little splitter, hoping the rest of you rock stars take your schollys elsewhere and let me squeak in.

This is so messed up. I feel like a victim with stockholm syndrome, competing for our captor's affection.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby paglababa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:43 pm

checkers wrote:Yes, yesss, let the hate flow through you. I will be patiently waiting like a good little splitter, hoping the rest of you rock stars take your schollys elsewhere and let me squeak in.

This is so messed up. I feel like a victim with stockholm syndrome, competing for our captor's affection.


You can have my spot, I'll make it my last request on my withdrawl form.

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby angels2fly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Im with checkers

User avatar
checkers
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby checkers » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:47 pm

paglababa wrote:
checkers wrote:Yes, yesss, let the hate flow through you. I will be patiently waiting like a good little splitter, hoping the rest of you rock stars take your schollys elsewhere and let me squeak in.

This is so messed up. I feel like a victim with stockholm syndrome, competing for our captor's affection.


You can have my spot, I'll make it my last request on my withdrawl form.


Sweet thanks. Let me know when you do so I can coordinate my email citing "Paglababa said I could" :wink:

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:53 pm

checkers wrote:Yes, yesss, let the hate flow through you. I will be patiently waiting like a good little splitter, hoping the rest of you rock stars take your schollys elsewhere and let me squeak in.

This is so messed up. I feel like a victim with stockholm syndrome, competing for our captor's affection.


Naw, I'm in for the long-haul with CLS. I really, really want their dual-degree program with London...

User avatar
SFrost
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby SFrost » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:01 pm

Columbia never replied to my email asking if they received my LOCI.

I have no way of knowing if they have my LOCI or not since their system doesn't deem us worthy of receipts.

No points to Columbia for friendliness.

User avatar
graphia
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby graphia » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:28 pm

SFrost wrote:Columbia never replied to my email asking if they received my LOCI.

I have no way of knowing if they have my LOCI or not since their system doesn't deem us worthy of receipts.

No points to Columbia for friendliness.


In the same boat here as well.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2203
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby jingosaur » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:46 am

I went to NYU and HLS ASWs this past weekend and everyone I met who went to Columbia's said it sucked.

User avatar
anyriotgirl
Posts: 7509
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby anyriotgirl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:57 am

jingosaur wrote:I went to NYU and HLS ASWs this past weekend and everyone I met who went to Columbia's said it sucked.


A young associate at my firm went there and says that she hated it and it sucked, which I am using for justification for "not caring" about being held there. (It's not really working)

oyvey35
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby oyvey35 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:23 am

Hi guys. Was held in the first wave. At 50th LSAT, over 50th GPA. Submitted my LOCI via the website. I also emailed admissions to confirm and received no response.

Is it a bad idea to call and ask?
Last edited by oyvey35 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SFrost
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby SFrost » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:47 am

oyvey35 wrote:Hi guys. Was held in the first wave. At 50th LSAT, over 50th GPA. Submitted my LOCI via the website. I also emailed admissions to confirm and received no response (like many of you). :cry:

Is it a bad idea to call and ask?


I called them and asked. They haven't even looked at the LOCIs since late Feb. is what I gather. When they print them, put them in our files, and make them available to admissions then we will receive a receipt.

californiauser
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby californiauser » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:51 am

going into this cycle CLS was my #1, but after being held and hearing about how terrible the student environment is, not to mention if they accept me after holding me, I'd be paying 300k+ in tuition, my affection for CLS wanes by the day

oyvey35
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby oyvey35 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:56 am

SFrost wrote:
oyvey35 wrote:Hi guys. Was held in the first wave. At 50th LSAT, over 50th GPA. Submitted my LOCI via the website. I also emailed admissions to confirm and received no response (like many of you). :cry:

Is it a bad idea to call and ask?


I called them and asked. They haven't even looked at the LOCIs since late Feb. is what I gather. When they print them, put them in our files, and make them available to admissions then we will receive a receipt.



Ah, that makes sense. Thank you!

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby EquallyWrong » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:05 pm

jingosaur wrote:I went to NYU and HLS ASWs this past weekend and everyone I met who went to Columbia's said it sucked.

surprise interviews, big hold waves, yield protection, and a crappy asw... sounds like Columbia Law is a sinking ship.

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby angels2fly » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:10 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I went to NYU and HLS ASWs this past weekend and everyone I met who went to Columbia's said it sucked.

surprise interviews, big hold waves, yield protection, and a crappy asw... sounds like Columbia Law is a sinking ship.


withdraw while you can!

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby mirroroferised7 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:20 pm

angels2fly wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I went to NYU and HLS ASWs this past weekend and everyone I met who went to Columbia's said it sucked.

surprise interviews, big hold waves, yield protection, and a crappy asw... sounds like Columbia Law is a sinking ship.


withdraw while you can!


I see what you did there.

Honestly, I know this is a terrible idea, but what does the groupmind think? I have a deposit deadline for a program approaching (in the next week). Is there any way I could so something similar to a scholarship offer negotiation email, and email Columbia saying "Hey, seriously, you guys are my top choice. But if I don't hear from you until the end of April, you're hamstringing me. I have a deadline coming up. Could you review my file by the end of the month?"

What do we think they would about this...

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby EquallyWrong » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:26 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
angels2fly wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I went to NYU and HLS ASWs this past weekend and everyone I met who went to Columbia's said it sucked.

surprise interviews, big hold waves, yield protection, and a crappy asw... sounds like Columbia Law is a sinking ship.


withdraw while you can!


I see what you did there.

Honestly, I know this is a terrible idea, but what does the groupmind think? I have a deposit deadline for a program approaching (in the next week). Is there any way I could so something similar to a scholarship offer negotiation email, and email Columbia saying "Hey, seriously, you guys are my top choice. But if I don't hear from you until the end of April, you're hamstringing me. I have a deadline coming up. Could you review my file by the end of the month?"

What do we think they would about this...

In typical Columbia fashion, they would do nothing and see if you withdraw.

ETA-I didn't mean to be flippant, but based on everybody's experience here they haven't been responsive generally. If Columbia is a big deal to you, give it a shot and see...why not?

User avatar
graphia
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby graphia » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:58 pm

E-mail from Columbia just now confirming they got my LOCI through the portal.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2241
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:01 pm

graphia wrote:E-mail from Columbia just now confirming they got my LOCI through the portal.


Good to hear someone is alive over there. :)

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:54 am

graphia wrote:E-mail from Columbia just now confirming they got my LOCI through the portal.


When did you submit? I submitted mine over a week ago, and haven't heard anything...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Christinabruin, neptunian and 10 guests