Held at Columbia Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
paglababa

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Postby paglababa » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:40 pm

Jessasaurus wrote:Seriously can't believe they held so many awesome applicants...

Yea...I think this is a historical first. I'm surprised to see many of you on this thread, especially ones with Rubys, Levys, Vandys ect. Bunch of HYS acceptances too.

winenot

Postby winenot » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
winenot wrote:I received my hold letter today. 3.9 GPA at HYP and 173 LSAT for those that were wondering. I'm withdrawing my application from consideration though and wish you all the best! Stay strong, everyone!

Out of curiosity was your letter via email, or snail-mail? So far I think all Holds have been via email, but I might be wrong.

It was through email. :)

vivala

Postby vivala » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:44 pm

Is anyone else here not YP/scholarship material? I'll start: >75 GPA, 25 LSAT

checkers

Postby checkers » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:48 pm

vivala wrote:Is anyone else here not YP/scholarship material? I'll start: >75 GPA, 25 LSAT

Quite a few of us are I believe ( >75 LSAT, <<25 GPA)

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:00 pm

winenot wrote:I received my hold letter today. 3.9 GPA at HYP and 173 LSAT for those that were wondering. I'm withdrawing my application from consideration though and wish you all the best! Stay strong, everyone!

Guess you'll have to settle for your safety schools-you know, Yale, Stanford, and Harvard :wink:.

In all seriousness, so sorry to all the holds today. I am truly shocked and can't understand Columbia's reasoning behind the holds.

graphia

Postby graphia » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:28 pm

174-176 LSAT/3.9x GPA; part of the initial batch of holds.

SFrost

Postby SFrost » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:55 pm

vivala wrote:Is anyone else here not YP/scholarship material? I'll start: >75 GPA, 25 LSAT

<<25 LSAT, >50 GPA.

I'm pretty glad to be on hold considering I expected a rejection

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Definitely YP. Now I'm sure.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:02 pm

drawstring wrote:Definitely YP. Now I'm sure.

How are you sure now? because of all the applicants on this thread? Did Columbia YP bunch of folks last year, or is this a first?

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Simply way too many strong applicants held at a numbers-based school and nothing that I've seen in the past suggested this happened previously. I've seen numerous people claim that their LSAT median dropped last year because a group of accepted students got off wait lists at HLS and SLS very late in the cycle, and the cautious approach this cycle seems like an attempt to combat that sort of thing; hold certain people to see who withdraws or doesn't send a LOCI, and to see who shows some sign of commitment to Columbia.

I cannot actually be sure like I said I was, but I think YP is very likely.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:35 pm

Median GPA and LSAT here.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Anyone send a LOCI directly to their admissions aka not that webform page AND not get a update as to whether they received it or not? Wow sorry for the long sentence lol.

Wondering how long it takes them to acknowledge you sent them a LOCI.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:22 pm

It took them 2 days to respond to me.

ETA: Didn't use the form
Last edited by drawstring on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vivala

Postby vivala » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:24 pm

I used the web form for the LOCI and on Sunday sent an email asking them to confirm they received it. Still haven't heard.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:38 pm

Aight thanks guys :) It's been about 3 days so I guess just more waiting.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:06 am

So let's confirm:

Columbia waits 5 months to get back to some applicants, including some well above medians. Then they hold them, meaning if they will be accepted it will almost definitely be after the ASW. Many people already have other options, but seriously were considering Columbia.

Guesses in how low the CLS medians will drop this year?

LSAT9986

Postby LSAT9986 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:29 am

How do you know if you are held? Do you receive a mailing stating this? Is the "status" webpage updated to reflect this?

AFP

Postby AFP » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:33 am

LSAT9986 wrote:How do you know if you are held? Do you receive a mailing stating this? Is the "status" webpage updated to reflect this?

You get an email with a PDF attachment informing you of your Held status. As far as I know, the status checker never changes after you go complete.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:44 am

AFP wrote:
LSAT9986 wrote:How do you know if you are held? Do you receive a mailing stating this? Is the "status" webpage updated to reflect this?

You get an email with a PDF attachment of DOOM informing you of your Held status. As far as I know, the status checker never changes after you go complete.

FTFY

Ryan11212

Postby Ryan11212 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:20 am

Pretty positive I'm YP. At 25-50% LSAT, well over 75% GPA. Strong softs, work experience.

I was actually strongly considering Columbia before getting the hold letter, but something about this experience has sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like the idea of them putting qualified applicants on hold just to protect their rankings. I dunno, it just doesn't sit well with me.

Also, on LSN, did y'all change your status to waitlist? Or did you leave it as pending? I'm not sure what to call being "on hold".

AFP

Postby AFP » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:25 am

Ryan11212 wrote:Pretty positive I'm YP. At 25-50% LSAT, well over 75% GPA. Strong softs, work experience.

I was actually strongly considering Columbia before getting the hold letter, but something about this experience has sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like the idea of them putting qualified applicants on hold just to protect their rankings. I dunno, it just doesn't sit well with me.

Also, on LSN, did y'all change your status to waitlist? Or did you leave it as pending? I'm not sure what to call being "on hold".

I left mine as pending. Columbia's waitlist is called "Reserve", or something like that. Hold just means that you're not getting a decision for several more weeks.

Arrow4Christ

Postby Arrow4Christ » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 am

Ryan11212 wrote:I was actually strongly considering Columbia before getting the hold letter, but something about this experience has sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like the idea of them putting qualified applicants on hold just to protect their rankings. I dunno, it just doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah, I was pretty evenly split between Columbia and NYU before the cycle started, but this whole hold business has helped put me solidly in the NYU camp as far as NYC schools go. It just makes me a lot more enthusiastic about a school to know they want me there and aren't playing games to protect their yield.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:51 am

Arrow4Christ wrote:
Ryan11212 wrote:I was actually strongly considering Columbia before getting the hold letter, but something about this experience has sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like the idea of them putting qualified applicants on hold just to protect their rankings. I dunno, it just doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah, I was pretty evenly split between Columbia and NYU before the cycle started, but this whole hold business has helped put me solidly in the NYU camp as far as NYC schools go. It just makes me a lot more enthusiastic about a school to know they want me there and aren't playing games to protect their yield.

I've been dicked over harder by NYU, fwiw. They haven't even communicated with my since putting me UR1 on 11/8. Columbia isn't the only one playing games.

BUT, that said, I totally fell you. This is fucked up shit.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:53 am

AFP wrote:
Ryan11212 wrote:Pretty positive I'm YP. At 25-50% LSAT, well over 75% GPA. Strong softs, work experience.

I left mine as pending. Columbia's waitlist is called "Reserve", or something like that. Hold just means that you're not getting a decision for several more weeks.

Also, it gets even worse, their "Reserve" is just another way of fucking with you, it isn't the "waitlist" from what I've been able to tell. It's more like a "priority" waitlist. So, they at least lube you up before fucking you in the ass. They have an actual waitlist.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 am

Arrow4Christ wrote:

NYU's outreach efforts have been amazing and best I've seen from all of the t14 i've been accepted too. Multiple receptions, letters, connects with alumni ect. They're holding two receptions in the next 4-6 weeks including GC of Mckinsey, Chairman of Craveth, VP of International Finance Corp ect...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”