Held at Columbia Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drawstring

Gold

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Post by drawstring » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:50 pm

So are we confident about the 'we can't give you a Butler so we'll YP you theory'? I just don't see why so many strong applicants would be held.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:55 pm

drawstring wrote:So are we confident about the 'we can't give you a Butler so we'll YP you theory'? I just don't see why so many strong applicants would be held.
I think its plausible, personally. If I'm not mistaken, Columbia doesn't have a history of holding these kinds of applicants. So I think them being overly cautious with their yields, especially if all the predicted late-in-the-game movement comes to be true, isn't much of a stretch.

I'm very curious to see if there is another hold wave.

I know admissions offices know what they are doing, but holds always seem risky to me, especially when applicants have heard back from peer (or superior) schools a good while ago.

gbelle

Bronze

Post by gbelle » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:07 pm

Oh brother, sad to see that this thread has been revived. I was in the April hold batch last cycle, and it wasn't a pretty picture.

Chin up everyone, in the event that these holds are for YP, write a killer LOCI and I'm sure you'll be gold.

shha

New

Post by shha » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:18 am

Checking in. While I'm not too surprised about being on hold (due to my low lsat score), it's still disappointing...
I'm really not sure about what to write for my LOCI though. I'm not in school anymore, and I don't have another LSAT score to report. And I've had the same job ever since I submitted my resume lol. Will writing a page about why I'll be a good match for Columbia be enough?:( Any piece of advice would be greatly appreciated!

gbelle

Bronze

Post by gbelle » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:22 am

shha wrote:Checking in. While I'm not too surprised about being on hold (due to my low lsat score), it's still disappointing...
I'm really not sure about what to write for my LOCI though. I'm not in school anymore, and I don't have another LSAT score to report. And I've had the same job ever since I submitted my resume lol. Will writing a page about why I'll be a good match for Columbia be enough?:( Any piece of advice would be greatly appreciated!
There are other things to include in LOCI than updated scores and grades. Have you accomplished anything in your personal life lately? Any important project at work that relates to your future study goals?

Also research specific programs and profs. Tell them something specific about why the program/prof would be an excellent fit. They want to know you're serious about their program and they want to see that a Columbia law degree would be a logical fit for your career goals.

Approach like a mini personal statement tailored to Columbia.

Hope that gives you something to think about!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NicCageOnline

New

Post by NicCageOnline » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:44 pm

Sorry if this has been asked, but I wanted to re-verify- are y'all submitting LOCI letters via the form on the Columbia website?

(http://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions/ ... d-interest)

vivala

Bronze

Post by vivala » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:55 am

Checking in! I'm certain that I was held because I'm a (semi) reverse splitter. Very much hoping they have the LSAT median/75th they want, because I'm no help there :oops:

admiringatticus

Bronze

Post by admiringatticus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:21 am

NicCageOnline wrote:Sorry if this has been asked, but I wanted to re-verify- are y'all submitting LOCI letters via the form on the Columbia website?

That's what I did ... don't know if that's what they were expecting since it didn't say that in the "held" letter.

NicCageOnline

New

Post by NicCageOnline » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:55 am

admiringatticus wrote:
NicCageOnline wrote:Sorry if this has been asked, but I wanted to re-verify- are y'all submitting LOCI letters via the form on the Columbia website?

That's what I did ... don't know if that's what they were expecting since it didn't say that in the "held" letter.

Okay, same here. I vaguely remember reading on TLS about LOCI's not being noticed if they were sent through that form, but I didn't understand why that'd be true and wanted to see what others were doing. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:38 pm

NicCageOnline wrote:
admiringatticus wrote:

Okay, same here. I vaguely remember reading on TLS about LOCI's not being noticed if they were sent through that form, but I didn't understand why that'd be true and wanted to see what others were doing. Thanks!
I'm not sure if it wasn't that they weren't being noticed, or that Columbia wasn't actively sending acknowledgement of LOCIs submitted through the form. I think sending it either way is fine, though I'm planning on using the form. If I get super worried I'll just email them and ask if they got it (assuming no receipt).

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:10 pm

This post made me hopeful that a good LOCI will do the trick for some of us:
Last year there was a good chunk of people (at least 10-15 maybe) that got into H and S in mid August, after CLS had already started Legal Methods. CLS is at a slight disadvantage in the wait list game because they start their 1L class earlier than other schools, so they can't replace those people. Maybe they could, but they don't seem to want to after Legal Methods has started. I think with declining 172+ LSAT scores, they realize that more CLS students can expect to get in at HYS late in the cycle and they want to avoid another exodus.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:55 pm

drawstring wrote:This post made me hopeful that a good LOCI will do the trick for some of us:
Last year there was a good chunk of people (at least 10-15 maybe) that got into H and S in mid August, after CLS had already started Legal Methods. CLS is at a slight disadvantage in the wait list game because they start their 1L class earlier than other schools, so they can't replace those people. Maybe they could, but they don't seem to want to after Legal Methods has started. I think with declining 172+ LSAT scores, they realize that more CLS students can expect to get in at HYS late in the cycle and they want to avoid another exodus.
This doesn't help people who need $ to attend and pressing deadlines at other schools though.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:58 pm

If your LOCI gives them a good reason to think you 'll attend and it's about YP then you probably wouldn't have to wait that far into the year, and I know held applicants in the past have gotten in before the end of March and received $$. If you have deadlines coming up within the next couple of weeks that would be an issue though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Happy Gilmore

Bronze

Post by Happy Gilmore » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:46 pm

Dear Columbia Law Admissions,

I am still interested in attending Columbia Law in the fall of 2014. I will be making my decision around April first, as that is when the school that I decide to attend will make me deposit and withdraw my other applications. I hope to hear from you before then as I would like to at least be able to consider Columbia as an option.

You might as well just reject me now if you are seriously considering making me wait until late April for a decision on my application that I gave you close to 6 months ago.

Just sat down to write my LOCI, and that's what came out. Can't be bothered to write one right now.

graphia

New

Post by graphia » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Just finished up the rough draft of my LOCI. Anyone available to give a second pair of eyes on it? I can take a look at yours as well.

angels2fly

Bronze

Post by angels2fly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:19 pm

drawstring wrote:If your LOCI gives them a good reason to think you 'll attend and it's about YP then you probably wouldn't have to wait that far into the year, and I know held applicants in the past have gotten in before the end of March and received $$. If you have deadlines coming up within the next couple of weeks that would be an issue though.
Not if your sincere that you have good reason to attend.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:06 pm

I don't see why they'd totally blank everyone. It's not like you're necessarily saying "I will attend Columbia no matter what".

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:15 am

Happy Gilmore wrote:Dear Columbia Law Admissions,

I am still interested in attending Columbia Law in the fall of 2014. I will be making my decision around April first, as that is when the school that I decide to attend will make me deposit and withdraw my other applications. I hope to hear from you before then as I would like to at least be able to consider Columbia as an option.

You might as well just reject me now if you are seriously considering making me wait until late April for a decision on my application that I gave you close to 6 months ago.

Just sat down to write my LOCI, and that's what came out. Can't be bothered to write one right now.
You'll get an acceptance next day lol

MrMileyCyrus

Bronze

Post by MrMileyCyrus » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:42 pm

I finished up my LOCI. I still can't believe I'm held to begin with...I wish I knew what was "wrong" with my app to ease my mind. I hope they realize how sincerely I would love to go to CLS.

graphia

New

Post by graphia » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:33 pm

Submitted LOCI this morning through their website, but didn't get confirmation. This is normal right?

tigress12

New

Post by tigress12 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm

Last edited by tigress12 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:48 pm

tigress12 wrote:Slightly embarrassing question but... is "held" the same as "waitlisted"?

Thanks...
It is not.

NicCageOnline

New

Post by NicCageOnline » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:01 pm

graphia wrote:Submitted LOCI this morning through their website, but didn't get confirmation. This is normal right?
I didn't get a confirmation either and I submitted mine yesterday. :|

ETA: Submitted after days of debating as to whether or not I should that way or not. I'm neurotic like that.

chneyo

Bronze

Post by chneyo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Last edited by chneyo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:04 pm

chneyo wrote:Totally got held today after submitting my withdraw request via email last Friday. Get yo sh#& together, Columbia. :lol:
If their response speed is similar for you as it has been with me thus far this cycle, they will confirm your withdraw in December.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”