Part Time v. Full Time

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snowpeach06

Part Time v. Full Time

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:04 pm

Got an e-mail today saying I was WLed at Brooklyn, but, could get into part time. Part of me knows I shouldn't even bother with Brooklyn, since its so expensive. But, I love it. It is easy enough to get into the FT program from PT, without doing the extra year. But,I have a few questions for anyone who has done PT.

1. Is it hard taking night classes? By that I mean paying attention after a long days work?
2. Do you know people doing full time? Is it harder to make friends - since by the time you transfer everyone already knows each other?
3. Did you do part time because you already had a job? Or just as a way in? Should I not count on getting a job while I go part time with this market? Will it be too much to handle?
4. Do you somehow feel like a failure. I apologize if this is offensive, but, since I'm just out of college, I can't help but feel like saying "I'm going to law school part time" is like slapping myself in the face daily with a "you aren't good enough to get into a full time program."
5. Basically, would you recommend starting off PT and moving to FT.

Thanks for anyone who has any info at all. Also, I apologize if this thread has been made already.

BruinsFan

Re: Part Time v. Full Time

Postby BruinsFan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:18 pm

I've been out of school almost 2 years, sheesh!, and applied part time for a few reasons... I'll try to answer your questions based upon all the research I've done.

1. Is it hard taking night classes? By that I mean paying attention after a long days work?
- I would imagine, yes. When I visited a night class, some of the students clearly had come from work. They had dinner on their desks and were dressed up. I think it depends on your job, but working full time + law school would be too much for me to handle. I plan on working part time and going to law school part time.

2. Do you know people doing full time? Is it harder to make friends - since by the time you transfer everyone already knows each other?
- Some schools have some full time people in night classes. I think that it may certainly be harder, but definitely not impossible. You won't be the only person moving from part time to full time and, if you get involved in some activities, I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. Although, definitely not ideal.

3. Did you do part time because you already had a job? Or just as a way in? Should I not count on getting a job while I go part time with this market? Will it be too much to handle?
- I applied part time to my top schools to make it easier for me to get in. I also knew that it was easy to take summer school, go full time for 2L and graduate in 3 years if I wanted to. I do have a full time job, but won't have it when I start law school. I plan on either doing a legal staffing place or trying to find a part time job at a small firm. I think it would look weird on your resume to only go to law school part time and not work. Plus, working is both a resume builder and, if you can cover your COL, would lessen the debt.

4. Do you somehow feel like a failure. I apologize if this is offensive, but, since I'm just out of college, I can't help but feel like saying "I'm going to law school part time" is like slapping myself in the face daily with a "you aren't good enough to get into a full time program."
- I usually tell say "I'm going to law school," and if it turns into a greater conversation, I talk about going part time, but hopefully having a job as well, having more time to study, being able to lower my over all debt and things like that. I did get into some full time programs, but it was my decision to go PT. I'm sure you can say the same.

5. Basically, would you recommend starting off PT and moving to FT.
- I think it's the best fit for me. Law school is a lot harder than undergrad and I want to give myself enough time to make sure I learn all of the material to the best of my ability. I also want to work, get on the job skills, network. and partake in other activities. I may ever go part time all the way through. I know, I know I'll lose a year of earning capabilities, but I'll have less debt and I think be happier.

At the end of the day, it's the same degree from the same school. There's no disclaimer about being part time.

I hope it helps!

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:03 am

I had lunch with a guy who started out at American in PT and transferred to GW FT. He did this because he had a great opportunity to stay at his current job while attending school, not because he couldn't get in somewhere FT. He said that he was ultimately glad to have the degree from GW, which has served him well, but that transferring is very difficult, as you have to spend summers taking courses to make up for the fact that you don't take as many credits per semester in a PT program. He also said that it's difficult to lose the connections that he had at his first program. Now granted, you may be looking at shifting from PT to FT at the same school, which might change some things.

I may also mention that he said he hated PT, because with working full time and going to school at night, he just didn't have any time for anything else, and it's very draining.

HTH

food

Postby food » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:37 am

If you attend part time and don't transfer to full, you may get the same degree, but it would take a year longer. This means that if you indicate the dates you were in law school on your resume, people would know you went PT.

If you go part time, I would think it would be a good idea to have a job, volunteer experience, or something else that looked good on paper and sounded good when you explained what else you did while in law school in an interview. You need something to help you stand out.

So far I have only been accepted to 1 school, PT at George Mason, I would def prefer FT even though I have a job.

MU2009

Postby MU2009 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:58 pm

This something I have wondered...Do schools offer part time applicants scholarships?

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:03 pm

MU2009 wrote:This something I have wondered...Do schools offer part time applicants scholarships?

Some schools do, but some don't. The expectation is that you're also working, which I plan to.

McGeorge offered my half, UNLV offered me a small amount for 1L, but I could have gotten more had I applied full time to McGeorge.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”