GOOD STATES FOR LAW

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
logicman86

GOOD STATES FOR LAW

Postby logicman86 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:13 pm

I know the economy is rough, and am first applying now. I am very concerned about what states look good for 3 years from now in terms of landing a good job.

My thinking was University of Texas would be good, because it's a big state and is the only top 20 law school within 500 miles and firms have to hire somebody!

But what are thoughts from people more knowledgeable than myself... what is a good state and field of law if you are dead set on making a 100k out of school?

Kchuck

Re: GOOD STATES FOR LAW

Postby Kchuck » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:17 pm

I have absolutely no support for this, and I'm biased since I live here, but I would guess Florida is going to be decent as well. It is a relatively large state with a couple big markets (Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville) and a very large legal market (Miami). There are also only a few dominant law schools, UF and then maybe FSU/Miami. While there are alot of TTT's in the state, I wouldn't imagine students from those schools would be as competitive as would students from UF. Anyone agree?

Postby 342848386278 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Relatedly, in what states are the legal markets particularly bad? I know legal markets are a bit painful everywere right now, but are there any places that are particularly hurting or oversaturated?

cLams

Postby cLams » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:10 pm

342848386278 wrote:Relatedly, in what states are the legal markets particularly bad? I know legal markets are a bit painful everywere right now, but are there any places that are particularly hurting or oversaturated?

+1

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm not sure what this has to do with Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists.

I mean, come on. It's a message board. Not exactly rocket science to post in the right forum.

logicman86

Postby logicman86 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:01 pm

SilverE2 wrote:I'm not sure what this has to do with Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists.

I mean, come on. It's a message board. Not exactly rocket science to post in the right forum.

It affects where I apply.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:18 am

342848386278 wrote:Relatedly, in what states are the legal markets particularly bad? I know legal markets are a bit painful everywere right now, but are there any places that are particularly hurting or oversaturated?

Well California is a cluster fuck right now. I have no idea how their legal market is but considering the state is bankrupt I would guess the legal jobs there aren't at their peak.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:22 am

darknightbegins wrote:

Well California is a cluster fuck right now. I have no idea how their legal market is but considering the state is bankrupt I would guess the legal jobs there aren't at their peak.

So are Florida, Arizona and Nevada. Not that the latter two are big legal markets anyway. I would say Florida is a terrible legal market to get into right now rather than a good one, even though they don't have any really strong schools in the state to compete with. Texas is a good market to get into, as are, somewhat surprisingly, a few Midwestern states like Ohio and Michigan.

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:34 am

Michigan, definitely. Specifically Detroit.

:wink:

logicman86

Postby logicman86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:14 pm

BenJ wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:

So are Florida, Arizona and Nevada. Not that the latter two are big legal markets anyway. I would say Florida is a terrible legal market to get into right now rather than a good one, even though they don't have any really strong schools in the state to compete with. Texas is a good market to get into, as are, somewhat surprisingly, a few Midwestern states like Ohio and Michigan.

This is very helpful. Thank you. I was considering looking at UF cause it's the only moderately high ranked law school in Florida, and I presumed I had strong full ride potential there plus it's a nice climate (weather wise)... but I don't want to be jobless in 4 years.

nsloane

Postby nsloane » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:20 pm

We're all glad to hear you're humble.

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:23 pm

How do you guys think AZ is? The last two decades, the state has exploded, but now the housing market is shit here and the economy sucks. Opinions on the legal market?

Philaw

Postby Philaw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:28 pm

BenJ wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:

I couldn't imagine that Ohio and Michigan would be good states to practice law in right now, as both of their economies are in shambles.

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:30 pm

Last edited by Jules Winnfield on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

logicman86

Postby logicman86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:DC! The lawyer's city and the most recession-proof area in the US.

I was reading about Georgetown, and how being near the supreme court is a great experience in learning law.

On this note, a Duke Law alumni I know who is not practicing right now told me that out of the DC region, those schools don't perform nearly as well. But I also once applied for a paralegal job at a big firm where the head honcho was a Georgetown alumni, and plenty established. I guess it's just a sour grapes.

When I ask professional lawyers, why some lawyers become really successful and some fail from a given law school the response always is, "If I knew that, I'd quit law and play horses." Not very encouraging words.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”