Full Ride from Safety, BUT...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
helloitslaura
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Full Ride from Safety, BUT...

Postby helloitslaura » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:06 pm

ugh
Last edited by helloitslaura on Sat May 14, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
baboon309
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

Re: Full Ride from Safety, BUT...

Postby baboon309 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:08 pm

helloitslaura wrote:For the LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY I am losing my mind playing the waiting game.

I went "Complete" (for the second time) in February at Penn and Temple, and have not heard back from either. Penn is my reach by a longshot, Temple is where I would really like to go.

My safety school threw me a curveball with a full ride offer, due to expire April 1. I can no longer poo-poo said Safety School in light of this most generous offer and my less-than stellar numbers.

What happens if I don't hear back from other schools in the next 2 to 3 weeks? I suppose I could always ask Safety School for an extension, but what is my backup plan? Anyone else in this position?

To gauge my odds, a little about me:

LSAT 155 :cry:
GPA: 3.1

And before you get all "TTT is your only hope, blah blah blah", I do have some interesting softs:

1. I am a 28 yo single mother
2. I am a minority
3. I have been working with a Judge who is an Adjunct Prof at TU and also for someone who is on the Faculty Admissions Committee at TU. Both think very highly of me.
4. I applied to the TU evening division.
5. I had a really good PS and Addendum (I started out this life in an orphanage, moved from home to home, worked to put myself through school, blah blah blah)

So my anxiety is really over timing. Safety full ride expires 4/1 and if they refuse me an extension and I haven't heard back yet from Temple...

It really should be any day now, right guys? I'll like, totally hear from them tomorrow and I won't even have to entertain this horrifying hypothetical (accepting the seat at Safety, hearing back from TU with an acceptance post-facto), right?


Just pay the deposit. What`s so hard about it?

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Full Ride from Safety, BUT...

Postby horriblegb » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:09 pm

You have to take a gamble and put down the seat deposit, with the knowledge that you may loose it, from the information I have received, but I don't know how good your chances are at Penn and Temple . . . I wouldn't count on it

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Full Ride from Safety, BUT...

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:09 pm

horriblegb wrote:You have to take a gamble and put down the seat deposit, with the knowledge that you may loose it, from the information I have received, but I don't know how good your chances are at Penn and Temple . . . I wouldn't count on it


I don't know if this is the case for their safety, but some schools require a firm commitment, withdrawal from all other schools, to keep scholarships.

User avatar
baboon309
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

Re: Full Ride from Safety, BUT...

Postby baboon309 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Kakarot wrote:
horriblegb wrote:You have to take a gamble and put down the seat deposit, with the knowledge that you may loose it, from the information I have received, but I don't know how good your chances are at Penn and Temple . . . I wouldn't count on it


I don't know if this is the case for their safety, but some schools require a firm commitment, withdrawal from all other schools, to keep scholarships.


Name a few in that range then.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Full Ride from Safety, BUT...

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:13 pm

baboon309 wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
horriblegb wrote:You have to take a gamble and put down the seat deposit, with the knowledge that you may loose it, from the information I have received, but I don't know how good your chances are at Penn and Temple . . . I wouldn't count on it


I don't know if this is the case for their safety, but some schools require a firm commitment, withdrawal from all other schools, to keep scholarships.


Name a few in that range then.


I don't know their range for safety, but I know Georgetown requires a firm commitment by April 1st. Wouldn't be too hard of an assumption to make that some lower ranked schools have similar stipulations. Meaning limited money to give out so they want to make sure students that get it and accept are coming.

Then again, I have another lower ranked full scholarship with a May non-binding accept date. So go figure.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BodieBroadus and 11 guests