Outside Scholarship

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
richmondguy3000

Outside Scholarship

Postby richmondguy3000 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:37 pm

I am going to law school this fall and I did get some aid, but far from a fat T14 schollie, lol. My estimated family contribution according to FAFSA exceeds my tuition payment. So sure enough, no need based aid. I am a Russian national, but permanent resident in the US. Does anyone know about any outside scholarship funds/sources. I looked at a couple, e.g. ABA grant program, but they all ask for FAFSA info, so I am certain I will waste a ton of time preparing application and lose to some indigent negro with straight A's (no disrespect intended),cause I am supposed to have enough money to pay tuition and then for some caviar and champagne after classes. Just wondering if maybe there are some sources of scholarship for russian law students in the US or maybe Certified Public Accountants who are going to law school? Thanks.

SamSeaborn2016

Re: Outside Scholarship

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:42 pm

um...

ticklememauve

Postby ticklememauve » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:44 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:um...

Ditto.

richmondguy3000

Postby richmondguy3000 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:52 pm

um is what I had in mind, just heard of people saying they are going to look for outside scholarship, not sure what is out there...

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:59 pm

“Indigent negro??” WOW. “No disrespect??” Are you serious? Are we really equating poverty and BLACK PEOPLE? Ugh, the last thing this world needs is another self-entitled bigot going into the legal realm…

Why don’t you stop thinking about why you are sooo limited on the scholarships you should apply for and instead start researching harder. Chances are that while you are on TLS bitching about your financial qualms, asking users for a easy-hand-me-down scholarship link, the so-called “indigent negroes” are outworking you…

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:00 pm

richmondguy3000 wrote:um is what I had in mind, just heard of people saying they are going to look for outside scholarship, not sure what is out there...

I think "um" may have been geared towards your "some indigent negro" comment.

P.S. Nobody under the age of 70 says negro anymore. It's not cool beans.

roxj

Postby roxj » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:03 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:“Indigent negro??” WOW. “No disrespect??” Are you serious? Are we really equating poverty and BLACK PEOPLE? Ugh, the last thing this world needs is another self-entitled bigot going into the legal realm…

+a billion.

That comment is incredibly insulting.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:04 pm

richmondguy3000 wrote:I am going to law school this fall and I did get some aid, but far from a fat T14 schollie, lol. My estimated family contribution according to FAFSA exceeds my tuition payment. So sure enough, no need based aid. I am a Russian national, but permanent resident in the US. Does anyone know about any outside scholarship funds/sources. I looked at a couple, e.g. ABA grant program, but they all ask for FAFSA info, so I am certain I will waste a ton of time preparing application and lose to some indigent negro with straight A's (no disrespect intended),cause I am supposed to have enough money to pay tuition and then for some caviar and champagne after classes. Just wondering if maybe there are some sources of scholarship for russian law students in the US or maybe Certified Public Accountants who are going to law school? Thanks.

Wow, most offensive thing I have heard in a long time, followed by "no disrespect intended." Maybe you deserve the benefit of the doubt that the English is your second language or that comment is the result of a cultural difference. But blatant racism and ethnic slurs don't really have a place on these boards. If you are interested in referring to a person of color in the future, try the term "African American" or even "black."

adrib

Postby adrib » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Man, and i wanted to like you, in a fellow-CPA kinda way.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:09 pm

The phrase "no disrespect intended" has long served a useful purpose, standing as a giant neon sign that flashes in the night, alerting weary TLSers looking for a place to park their angst for the evening that there is in fact disrespect here.

Quine

Postby Quine » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:20 pm

If he actually equates being black with being poor, he really wouldn't have qualified "negro", would he?

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:47 pm

If you're EFC exceeds the tuition, then you can more than afford to pay for school. Scholarships are for people that need them or have earned them. Wanting a scholarship simply because you dont want to pay for school, even though you may be more than able to, doesnt entitle you to one.

To answer your question, there are tons of scholarships out there. Look up "law school scholarships" and you'll find some stuff.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:09 pm

Gosh, I was almost offended there for a moment...but then you wrote "no disrespect intended" and so I feel much better.

You should look to Russia for scholarships since you won't have to compete with poor american minorities for the money. NIce flame, by the way.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:20 pm

ec2xs wrote:
richmondguy3000 wrote:um is what I had in mind, just heard of people saying they are going to look for outside scholarship, not sure what is out there...

I think "um" may have been geared towards your "some indigent negro" comment.

P.S. Nobody under the age of 70 says negro anymore. It's not cool beans.

Correct. I assumed Flame so I just went with the partially confused/partially offended "um."

Quine

Postby Quine » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:17 pm

gdane5 wrote:If you're EFC exceeds the tuition, then you can more than afford to pay for school. Scholarships are for people that need them or have earned them. Wanting a scholarship simply because you dont want to pay for school, even though you may be more than able to, doesnt entitle you to one.

To answer your question, there are tons of scholarships out there. Look up "law school scholarships" and you'll find some stuff.

Maybe his family isn't actually contributing what the FAFSA expects, douchebag.

I thought it was pretty well known that FAFSA penalizes you for having anyone with any money connected to you - whether or not they are contributing.

Everyone in this thread should cool it with the talk of racism and entitlement. We don't know this guy's situation and he may actually be getting screwed.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:28 pm

Remember that as a professional student you only have to input your own data on the FAFSA. In other words, his EFC is all him.

izzytovar

Postby izzytovar » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Maybe his family isn't actually contributing what the FAFSA expects, douchebag.

I thought it was pretty well known that FAFSA penalizes you for having anyone with any money connected to you - whether or not they are contributing.

Everyone in this thread should cool it with the talk of racism and entitlement. We don't know this guy's situation and he may actually be getting screwed.[/quote]

It doesn't matter if his family is or is not contributing. Even if he were getting screwed, that does not forgive a statement such as the one he made. Ignorance of what is socially acceptable is not acceptable, just as ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

Quine

Postby Quine » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:02 pm

izzytovar wrote:Maybe his family isn't actually contributing what the FAFSA expects, douchebag.

Everyone in this thread should cool it with the talk of racism and entitlement. We don't know this guy's situation and he may actually be getting screwed.

It doesn't matter if his family is or is not contributing. Even if he were getting screwed, that does not forgive a statement such as the one he made. Ignorance of what is socially acceptable is not acceptable, just as ignorance of the law is not an excuse.[/quote]

Such melodrama. Ignorance of what is socially acceptable is actually a damn good excuse - social mores are removed from a positivist legal system, and really shouldn't be compared (especially with your carelessness). Moreover, if that crazy, terrible thing that you are referring to is his use of the word "negro", I would suggest you grow up, and realize that not everyone spends the time you do researching the latest trends in socially-acceptable speech.

"Even if he were getting screwed, that does not forgive a statement such as the one he made."

Where, for you, exactly, is the connection between him affording law school and his ability to make the outrageous statement you think he made?

pjl35

Postby pjl35 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:55 pm

gdane5 wrote:Remember that as a professional student you only have to input your own data on the FAFSA. In other words, his EFC is all him.

agreed. as a grad/professional student you don't even have to add parental information if you don't want to. regardless of his parent's info, his EFC is reflecting his finances...not his family's.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”