Transfer from American U to t-14?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
exitlane

Transfer from American U to t-14?

Postby exitlane » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:51 pm

What ranking would I have to obtain in order to be a likely transfer to a t-14 from American U?

PS I am a URM, Mexican American.

exitlane

Re: Transfer from American U to t-14?

Postby exitlane » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:15 am

My Ugpa was 3.75 but my lsat sucked

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:37 am

There is a transfer apps subforum:

viewforum.php?f=27

In short, you would probably need to be in the top 10% to transfer to the T14. Top 20% might suffice if you just want Georgetown or Cornell. You'd need to be top 5% at least to transfer up to HYSCCN, probably better. And my understanding is that URM status basically doesn't matter for transferring. Only your law school GPA matters.

waverider

Postby waverider » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:53 am

Don't go to a school that you intend to transfer out of, especially one as expensive as American.

If you happen to do exceptionally well when you are there then think about transfering. But its highly unlikely it will happen... sorry. So make your decision on what school you would like to be at all three. If that's not any of the schools you've been accepted to retake the LSAT and try again next year.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:40 am

waverider wrote:Don't go to a school that you intend to transfer out of, especially one as expensive as American.

If you happen to do exceptionally well when you are there then think about transfering. But its highly unlikely it will happen... sorry. So make your decision on what school you would like to be at all three. If that's not any of the schools you've been accepted to retake the LSAT and try again next year.

+1000

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:47 am

exitlane wrote:What ranking would I have to obtain in order to be a likely transfer to a t-14 from American U?

Transferred from American to GULC, top 25%, part time. I had excellent softs though including relevant work experience (I am a patent agent) and very good LORs. I am not sure why you mentioned your UGPA or low LSAT, neither are really relevant in their decisions IMO.

beardown_tho

Postby beardown_tho » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 am

digitalcntrl wrote:
exitlane wrote:What ranking would I have to obtain in order to be a likely transfer to a t-14 from American U?

Transferred from American to GULC, top 25%, part time. I had excellent softs though including relevant work experience (I am a patent agent) and very good LORs. I am not sure why you mentioned your UGPA or low LSAT, neither are really relevant in their decisions IMO.

I think he was just explaining that he couldn't get into a T14 right now and that's why he intends to transfer.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 am

beardown_tho wrote:
digitalcntrl wrote:

I think he was just explaining that he couldn't get into a T14 right now and that's why he intends to transfer.

He'd be much better off retaking and not wasting that GPA. Waiting a year won't kill OP -- especially in this market.

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:22 pm

OP I wanted to caution you. American does not officially rank its class until your 2L year begins. So all GULC saw were my letter grades and GPA. I only know my rough rank because they posted an the unofficial rank ranges correlated to GPAs on their website over the summer. The mean GPA was a 3.21. In some ways this may help as it may convince adcomms that my inflated GPA is actually a higher rankwise than it really is.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”