What to write in a LOCI

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nyyankees

What to write in a LOCI

Postby nyyankees » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:31 pm

Got WL'd: I have a handful of ideas that I could write on, not quite sure which is most appropriate:

I have been relatively successful in a fairly unique sport (DI All-American, 3 time Junior Olympian) and I havent really addressed that anywhere in my application. The problem is that most of my accomplishments in the sport were in high school and my first few years of college, though I now coach my high school's team.

I left my job a few months ago and havent been doing much (other than coaching at my high school), however I do feel like ive put the time to good use. I took the time to do a lot of stuff ive wanted to do but never had the time to, and its a bit of a feel good story to tell. Ive gotten back into shape for the first time in years, ive learned how to cook some exotic dishes, ive been keeping up with international politics, read a ton of books, got back into the sport i once loved, joined a gospel choir and am about to leave on a trip around the world. I think ill have to mention this eventually when I tell them they wont be able to contact me via phone for a decision, so im thinkin that maybe its best to send this as a follow-up

Im asian and didnt write a DS. I get the idea that im pretty much what everyone expects when they think of the diversity that an asian adds to a classroom. Im kinda bookish, strong family values, i think more collectively than individually, can relate to minority experiences, first generation immigrant and first person in my family to get an advanced degree etc etc. I dont think this is a particularly interesting piece about me, but maybe this is more along the lines of what might be useful to them. Also, outside of a box I checked on the application, this information is nowhere.

I wrote a why X essay that spoke generally about the school and how i see how one philosophy pervades multiple aspects of the school. I used this to talk about the community, particular fields of interest, locations etc etc. I probably could write something more focused on the fields of study im interested in at the school and why its a good fit. This strikes me as a more traditional LOCI, though I feel like I have already said generally what I will end up saying specifically in this LOCI

Sorry, I know this got long, I would appreciate any/all advice.

Thanks again

nyyankees

Re: What to write in a LOCI

Postby nyyankees » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:05 pm

little help? anyone?

nyyankees

Re: What to write in a LOCI

Postby nyyankees » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:49 pm

so you think 2,3 and 4 could each work?

Thanks for the response

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”