Where should I go?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which school should I choose?

Chicago (Sticker)
45%
Cornell (?)
3%
Boston University ($25,000/year)
26%
George Washington U. ($30,000/year + 1st year housing)
26%
Boston College (?)
No votes

Total votes: 58

dakatz

Where should I go?

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:29 pm

Ok, so I'm coming down the homestretch and looking to get a better idea of where I'm headed this Fall. But of course this decision isn't easy. Here are some details about my situation:

-I want to ultimately live and work in the Northeast region of the US.

-I don't have too much of a preference as to what I want to do one day, but I'm looking into both employment and real estate law. I did hospitality business admin. during undergrad so I have a real love for the hotel business, and I would love to work for a hotel chain or hospitality company one day in the legal department.

-I went to BU for undergrad so all my friends, connections, etc live there. There are professors here who said they could possibly help me get a position teaching accounting or hospitality law courses not long after graduation, so its definitely something I'm factoring into my decision.

-I am a pretty debt-averse person in general, and wouldn't be comfortable taking out 200K in loans for anything short of a near-certain bet.

-Cornell and BC have yet to send me any scholarship info. I would expect BC will offer me something along the lines of BU's offer. Cornell is the big question mark, because I'm not sure if they will offer me anything.

nyskidude

Re: Where should I go?

Postby nyskidude » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:32 pm

You should go..... to the Choosing a Law School Forum :mrgreen:

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:33 pm

nyskidude wrote:You should go..... to the Choosing a Law School Forum :mrgreen:

Oh my bad...

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Sounds like you already picked BU.

Let's face it, as a Terrier, you wouldn't be happy on Chestnut Hill...

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:36 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:Sounds like you already picked BU.

Let's face it, as a Terrier, you wouldn't be happy on Chestnut Hill...

Yeah I mean, I have a whole list of reasons why I would be wise to pick BU. But at the same time, when I look at the opposite side, its freakin Chicago I'd be turning down, and thats certainly not something I want to just pass up without really knowing for sure that its the right choice for me. So given the circumstances I listed, is there anything I'm really failing to consider that could possibly draw me out to Chicago?
Last edited by dakatz on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:37 pm

dakatz wrote:Ok, so I'm coming down the homestretch and looking to get a better idea of where I'm headed this Fall. But of course this decision isn't easy. Here are some details about my situation:

-I want to ultimately live and work in the Northeast region of the US.

-I don't have too much of a preference as to what I want to do one day, but I'm looking into both employment and real estate law. I did hospitality business admin. during undergrad so I have a real love for the hotel business, and I would love to work for a hotel chain or hospitality company one day in the legal department.

-I went to BU for undergrad so all my friends, connections, etc live there. There are professors here who said they could possibly help me get a position teaching accounting or hospitality law courses not long after graduation, so its definitely something I'm factoring into my decision.

-I am a pretty debt-averse person in general, and wouldn't be comfortable taking out 200K in loans for anything short of a near-certain bet.

-Cornell and BC have yet to send me any scholarship info. I would expect BC will offer me something along the lines of BU's offer. Cornell is the big question mark, because I'm not sure if they will offer me anything.

Sorry, I'm just busting your balls haha. I would say BU, given the money and opportunities you have there, with an eye on Cornell. Maybe keep Chicago if you want academia.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:38 pm

Obviously, you are not qualified for law school. i would head into streets and sanitation work if I were you.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:43 pm

dakatz wrote:Yeah I mean, I have a whole list of reasons why I would be wise to pick BU. But at the same time, when I look at the opposite side, its freakin Chicago I'd be turning down, and thats certainly not something I want to just pass up without really knowing for sure that its the right choice for me. So given the circumstances I listed, is there anything I'm really failing to consider that could possibly draw me out to Chicago?

Yeah - its a better school. its also, as you say, 200k in debt (assuming you've got nothing else coming in) and it is most assuredly not "a sure bet" as you're a 0L. Ignoring debt though, its a 'more surer bet' than BU - though BU's naturally going to place you at some nice Boston firms - where I gather you're happy

Prestige is one thing, but if happiness is you having less debt and staying in the Northeast then what are you really thinking about Chicago for?

There are also lots of reasons to go (I transplanted myself to Boston for UG) and those new experiences and people are awesome. You'll also have world class opportunities by comparison.

I'm trying to be as honest and practical as I can. :)
Last edited by JuTMSY4 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:43 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:Obviously, you are not qualified for law school. i would head into streets and sanitation work if I were you.

Yep, that's the backup plan.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:48 pm

Dakatz, we BU alumni need to chat about loving Boston, hating debt, and the pressure to go to the higher ranked schools. :)

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:50 pm

your "campus" sucks :lol:

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:50 pm

I guess its appropriate to share another concern of mine about this whole dilemma. To be completely honest, I'm pretty sure the only reason I got into Chicago is because of my URM status. I've read many cautionary articles about the dangers of affirmative action because URM's tend to finish pretty low in their classes. I believe the article referred to it as "mismatching" between school and student. I'm sort of afraid that, since my fellow students at Chicago would be more "intelligent" or whatever you wanna call it, that I may be subject to this "mismatching" and end up low in my class as a result. I feel like this is a realistic concern that few URM applicants ever tend to mention or discuss.

And one final thing. My girlfriend of 5 years said she is going to look for a job in whatever city I go to law school in, as long as its on the east coast, and that she will not come with me out to Chicago. So I guess I sorta need to factor this in as well.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Dakatz, we BU alumni need to chat about loving Boston, hating debt, and the pressure to go to the higher ranked schools. :)

Yeah tell me about it. After being on this site for a long time, I feel like a fool for even considering a more debt-friendly option and turning down the more prestigious school, even though I have real reasons to do so.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on the point of "mismatching" that I mentioned 2 posts ago? Is this something I should really be concerned about, or does it seem like something that shouldn't at all factor into my decision? Was just wondering since people never seem to discuss this topic on here.

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:12 pm

dakatz wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on the point of "mismatching" that I mentioned 2 posts ago? Is this something I should really be concerned about, or does it seem like something that shouldn't at all factor into my decision? Was just wondering since people never seem to discuss this topic on here.

I can see why you'd be concerned about that. It would definitely be easier to be in the top portion of your class at a lower ranked school.

Speaking from a romantic point of view (I can do this. I am engaged and my future wife will be joining me after my first year to attend an MFA program at whatever school I choose), if you think this girl could be the one, then stay on the East coast. Your options after law school are clearly pretty darn good from BU, you won't be in a huge amount of debt, and you make the woman happy. That last one always helps a lot, because, as I'm sure you know, having a happy woman in your life can take away a lot of stress that could come along with law school.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:19 pm

dakatz wrote:I guess its appropriate to share another concern of mine about this whole dilemma. To be completely honest, I'm pretty sure the only reason I got into Chicago is because of my URM status. I've read many cautionary articles about the dangers of affirmative action because URM's tend to finish pretty low in their classes. I believe the article referred to it as "mismatching" between school and student. I'm sort of afraid that, since my fellow students at Chicago would be more "intelligent" or whatever you wanna call it, that I may be subject to this "mismatching" and end up low in my class as a result. I feel like this is a realistic concern that few URM applicants ever tend to mention or discuss.

And one final thing. My girlfriend of 5 years said she is going to look for a job in whatever city I go to law school in, as long as its on the east coast, and that she will not come with me out to Chicago. So I guess I sorta need to factor this in as well.

For top tier schools like Chicago, admission certainly means guarantee graduation in three years. If you're worrying about class rank ("intelligence"), don't worry. Every elite law school reserve 10% to 20% of its seats to legacies, faculty children, and rich white people who got a building name after them whose LSAT/GPA is perhaps lower than yours. So don't sell yourself short by thinking everyone around you is smarter than you.

And i think elite law schools would literally go out of its way to help URM students with any academic aid they may require. Good luck and enjoy the full advantage set forth by Affirmative Action, you've certainly earned your way into the door, one way or another.

Per your girlfriend, the fact that you've been with her for 5 years indicates to me that you have a very solid and serious relationship. Forgive me for saying this and i know a lot of people would probably crucify me for saying this, there is absolutely no reason for you to give up the love of your life for any law school, not even Chicago. You can be all that you can be with JD from any of the law schools you choose so long as you are determined to make something out of your life. But a serious relationship like this is rare [strike]commodity[/strike] treasure that needs to be preserve with all your efforts, because if you lose it, there is no guarantee another girl like this would walk into your life, even if you drive a maserati and lives next door to Bill Gates.

My advice, don't go to Chicago if you don't want to lose her.
Last edited by BigFatPanda on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:20 pm

I've also been wondering what the chances are of negotiating scholarships. For Chicago, they probably feel like they did me a favor by admitting me so I don't think me showing them my BU or GW scholarships will make any sort of difference. But I feel like I have a basis for negotiation with BU. GW offered me 30K a year, and WUSTL offered me 32K a year, so if BU could match that, it would certainly help. Is there any chance these scholarships could help me get something out of Chicago, or would they just laugh and toss my request in the trash?

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:35 pm

dakatz wrote:I've also been wondering what the chances are of negotiating scholarships. For Chicago, they probably feel like they did me a favor by admitting me so I don't think me showing them my BU or GW scholarships will make any sort of difference. But I feel like I have a basis for negotiation with BU. GW offered me 30K a year, and WUSTL offered me 32K a year, so if BU could match that, it would certainly help. Is there any chance these scholarships could help me get something out of Chicago, or would they just laugh and toss my request in the trash?

Look at the matter from Chicago's perspective: given the prestige of their degree and the opportunities you are going to get, any amount of debt is insiginificant in the long run. Thus, they are entitled to feel as if they are doing you a huge favor. And i suspect that they really look down on GW and WUSTL. Regardless, you can definitely use GW to bargain with BU and see if they throw something your way.

I wonder if law schools offer stellar applicants with new girl friends as part of the scholarship package (In that case, consider Chicago). :mrgreen:

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:40 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:
dakatz wrote:I've also been wondering what the chances are of negotiating scholarships. For Chicago, they probably feel like they did me a favor by admitting me so I don't think me showing them my BU or GW scholarships will make any sort of difference. But I feel like I have a basis for negotiation with BU. GW offered me 30K a year, and WUSTL offered me 32K a year, so if BU could match that, it would certainly help. Is there any chance these scholarships could help me get something out of Chicago, or would they just laugh and toss my request in the trash?

Look at the matter from Chicago's perspective: given the prestige of their degree and the opportunities you are going to get, any amount of debt is insiginificant in the long run. Thus, they are entitled to feel as if they are doing you a huge favor. And i suspect that they really look down on GW and WUSTL. Regardless, you can definitely use GW to bargain with BU and see if they throw something your way.

I wonder if law schools offer stellar applicants with new girl friends as part of the scholarship package (In that case, consider Chicago). :mrgreen:

But didn't the Class of 2009 stats have only a bit better than 50% of students receiving NLJ250 jobs out of Chicago? It seems like 200K of debt would be pretty terrible if you aren't in that upper-half, especially if you are counting on such a job to help pay off that debt. And aren't those figures expected to be even worse for the classes of 2010 and 2011?

And yes, if a shiny new girlfriend was part of my "aid" package in Chicago, that would be pretty sweet. Oh boy am I glad my gf doesn't read this forum :)

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:01 pm

I am often amused by how my comment on opportunities often gets equate with "NLJ250" on this forum.

First and foremost, there are a lot of people from Chicago who chooses to do public interest and who chooses to clerk for judges, not because they're forced to.
Second, elite law schools allow you to network and/or befriend people who are going to be the next senators, presidents, supreme court judges, and other sort of American aristocratic family like descendant of May Flowers. If you know how to rub these people the right way, you'll be amaze how they could turn your life into paradise. Making these people your golf buddies are worth WAY WAY more than a NLJ250 job.
Third, the current economy, which sucks, is short term. Think "long term": how will a Chicago JD figure into your life for the next decade or two?

I think those are the issues you need to consider. Then again, if i were u, i would not incline to risk the possibility of losing a solid relationship (long distance relationship, to my best understanding, almost always never work. Not in America at least).

Fictional Elite Law school scholarship package: :mrgreen:

Congratulations on your stellar achievements in life and academics. I, and the admissions committe agrees, that you'll make an excellent member of our community. In addition to full tution assistance and living stipend guarantee for the next three years irrespective your standing, we will be sending you a girlfriend of your choice. Just fill out the "Girlfriend Specification Form" and send it back to us before 04/15/2010. Please allow us three business weeks to process your request and we will send her to you via UPS first class.

Sincerely
Dean of Admissions at Elite University School of Law

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”