Moving during Admissions & Financial Aid Process

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oberlin08

Moving during Admissions & Financial Aid Process

Postby oberlin08 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:43 pm

Question for TLS:

Due to some circumstances beyond my control, I may soon be forced to move (to another apartment). However, I am still waiting on a few decisions, and have just started the financial aid process, filled out my FAFSA etc.

- I currently live in D.C., but may have to move to MD or VA depending on what would be the cheapest option for a short term situation.
- D.C. is not a state, so thus I will not be applying to any state schools where I might get in-state tuition unless i change residency to that state (Rutgers Newark in my case)
- I also may have to buy a car soon before I leave depending on which school I choose, so changing my driver's license from DC to MD or VA may be quite a hassle.

How much will this mess up the process? or will I fairly easily be able to change my address with FAFSA, the schools and be done with it?

izzytovar

Re: Moving during Admissions & Financial Aid Process

Postby izzytovar » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:56 pm

I know the process to change the information on your FAFSA is very quick and painless. However, the time frame for that information going to schools is unknown to me. I would follow up with an e-mail to the respective schools upon your completion of any FAFSA update letting them know that some changes are coming. Good luck with the rest of your cycle and upcoming move.

andreea7

Re: Moving during Admissions & Financial Aid Process

Postby andreea7 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:27 pm

oberlin08 wrote:Question for TLS:

Due to some circumstances beyond my control, I may soon be forced to move (to another apartment). However, I am still waiting on a few decisions, and have just started the financial aid process, filled out my FAFSA etc.

- I currently live in D.C., but may have to move to MD or VA depending on what would be the cheapest option for a short term situation.
- D.C. is not a state, so thus I will not be applying to any state schools where I might get in-state tuition unless i change residency to that state (Rutgers Newark in my case)
- I also may have to buy a car soon before I leave depending on which school I choose, so changing my driver's license from DC to MD or VA may be quite a hassle.

How much will this mess up the process? or will I fairly easily be able to change my address with FAFSA, the schools and be done with it?

You might already know this, but to be on the safe side it is good to go on USPS' web site and file a change of address -- this way you can make sure everything gets forwarded to you from the old address. Sorry if I am giving you advice you already knew.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”