LOR from a famous person

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fomenting

LOR from a famous person

Postby fomenting » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:53 pm

how much does a LOR from a famous person--let's say, from Tony Blair, if I took a class with him, matter? I got into T6 schools---but i'm considering applying again with a letter from him for T3. worth it?

GATORTIM

Re: LOR from a famous person

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:56 pm

blatant name dropping

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:57 pm

It's not going to make much of a difference. The best letters come from professors who know you very well. Unless your connection with Tony Blair consists of more than just taking a class with him, don't expect a letter from him to lead to drastically different results in your application cycle. I certainly would not reapply with the letter just for another shot at HYS (unless you're at a good job now and have nothing to lose, but even then, you don't want to risk not getting in to HYS and also being dinged at CCN).

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:58 pm

It depends...name dropping = :cry: or :evil: .

but if said person actually knows you and has something of substance to say in a letter, maybe its... :)

If its mediocrity.... :|

So use it at your own risk.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:59 pm

It really depends. Yeah, Tony Blair is famous, but so is......

--ImageRemoved--

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:03 pm

Fame goes both ways.

I, personally, think Tony Blair is a total jerkoff and would likely put that LOR as a negative on you.

:twisted:

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:39 pm

I've heard a T6 Admissions Dean quoted on this -- "I don't care if it's the Dalai Lama or Barack Obama unless they really know the applicant personally and can speak to that in a significant way."

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I've heard a T6 Admissions Dean quoted on this -- "I don't care if it's the Dalai Lama or Barack Obama unless they really know the applicant personally and can speak to that in a significant way."

I've served the Dalai Lama Chinese food this one time he came to our restaurant (his cousin or close relative lived within the vicinity). He had nine other Caucasian skin-head monks with him on the big table. They were drinking Saporo - I kid you not.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:46 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:I've heard a T6 Admissions Dean quoted on this -- "I don't care if it's the Dalai Lama or Barack Obama unless they really know the applicant personally and can speak to that in a significant way."

I've served the Dalai Lama Chinese food this one time he came to our restaurant (his cousin or close relative lived within the vicinity). He had nine other Caucasian skin-head monks with him on the big table. They were drinking Saporo - I kid you not.

I sure hope you got a LOR

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:48 pm

Veritas wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:

lol so credited. You get one point.

miche1esim

Postby miche1esim » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:14 pm

bush jr got into yale and harvard. that is all.

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:22 pm

fomenting wrote:how much does a LOR from a famous person--let's say, from Tony Blair, if I took a class with him, matter? I got into T6 schools---but i'm considering applying again with a letter from him for T3. worth it?

Blatant and ridiculously lucky soon-to-be Yale alum.

Although I assume he probably really looked into the people taking that class and knows you pretty well afterward. In which case (contrary to all the famous people denigration) I'd say it'll help. Enough to get you in at HYS though, maybe not. Have you gotten any money offers from the CCN group, or maybe Michigan Darrow, that might indicate you're on the cusp at HYS?

Edit to be clear: I'd say it would help only if he got to know you by the end of that seminar. I assume he did, just because of the nature of the seminar and how that sort of thing usually pans out, but if I'm wrong and he didn't then it won't mean diddly.
Last edited by Lermontov on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bees

Postby bees » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:26 pm

miche1esim wrote:bush jr got into yale and harvard. that is all.

Yeah this isn't what the OP is talking about, at all.

EzraStiles

Postby EzraStiles » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:28 pm

I remember the dean of admissions at Duke told me they actually laugh when they get recommendations from famous people, who usually are senators or scholars. So I think it only helps if they know you well and can actually speak to your academic aptitude, because it seems the name itself won't mean crap.

miche1esim

Postby miche1esim » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 am

bees wrote:

Yeah this isn't what the OP is talking about, at all.

perhaps..but it amused me. simply saying that it is often who you know and not what you know (a trite but true expression, i think). i think a LOR from Obama would sway most schools, regardless of what a Dean claims (and perhaps they just haven't gotten the right letter yet..).

davipatr

Postby davipatr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:21 am

Deans of admissions do not like these letters. They find them personally insulting, and I have heard several say as much. What you have to consider is that the famous person you can get a letter from is probably hit up for a letter multiple times per years, and at this point has a form letter routinely given out to anyone who wants a recomendation.

I have heard several deans (GW, Georgetown, American, Stanford) say that every year at least a few people send in the exact same letter only with the name changed because their local senator recommended them both. Needless to say this did not help them. Without exception all I have heard from deans and admissions people is that what they really want is someone who can speak to your specific qualifications and characteristics. They trust any professor as much if not much more than any famous person.
ps. (our university has a dean's night each fall and spring where they hold a mock admissions panel to educate people on the process) they also frown on famous people putting in a call unless they already have a personal relationship with the school. Basically they think they are awesome (after all, you applied for consideration at their school) and they don't enjoy having someone else's awesomeness thrown in their face.
GW's dad had already been to Yale.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:27 am

Don't.

Yes the blair letter will be a boost.

But as you said you are in a t6 schools, the blair letter will not be sufficient boost to get you out of your T6 into HYS, not even close.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:34 am

An ebullient letter from a no-name professor would go just as far, if not farther, in getting the nod.
People "know" famous people, which means they have preconceptions about them. Unless it's Mother Theresa, someone is going to have some serious hatred for said famous person. Tony Blair is a case in point.

I wish I could say:

/topic forever

but I'm sure it'll keep showing up :P

In Purgatory

Postby In Purgatory » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:40 am

thickfreakness wrote:
Veritas wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:

lol so credited. You get one point.

He may not get a LOR, but on his deathbed he will regain total consciousness...

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:41 am

davipatr wrote:Deans of admissions do not like these letters. They find them personally insulting, and I have heard several say as much. What you have to consider is that the famous person you can get a letter from is probably hit up for a letter multiple times per years, and at this point has a form letter routinely given out to anyone who wants a recomendation.

I have heard several deans (GW, Georgetown, American, Stanford) say that every year at least a few people send in the exact same letter only with the name changed because their local senator recommended them both. Needless to say this did not help them. Without exception all I have heard from deans and admissions people is that what they really want is someone who can speak to your specific qualifications and characteristics. They trust any professor as much if not much more than any famous person.
ps. (our university has a dean's night each fall and spring where they hold a mock admissions panel to educate people on the process) they also frown on famous people putting in a call unless they already have a personal relationship with the school. Basically they think they are awesome (after all, you applied for consideration at their school) and they don't enjoy having someone else's awesomeness thrown in their face.
GW's dad had already been to Yale.

Are you saying this is true in all cases, or just when the recommender doesn't know the applicant very well? I understand why a generic letter from someone famous would be frowned upon, but I would find it weird if it was still looked down on if the applicant actually has a really good relationship with a recommender who just happened to be famous.

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:41 am

An LOR from a famous person is an excellent way to distinguish yourself from other applicants. It shows that you are well-connected. It also follows a logic where since the famous person is so great, you're also great and better than all the other applicants who don't know famous people.

My cousin is an Asian celebrity.

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:42 am

GATORTIM wrote:It really depends. Yeah, Tony Blair is famous, but so is......

--ImageRemoved--

blatant anti-Houston trolling

cherryalamode

Postby cherryalamode » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:49 am

They're called legacies. And daddy being PRESIDENT.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:54 am

cherryalamode wrote:

They're called legacies. And daddy being PRESIDENT.

Not at all suggesting that Bush didn't receive a boost from his father via being a legacy
But
(and I can't believe I'm taking the time to point this out)
But!
TIMELINE ERROR --> Bush graduated from Yale University in 1968, and Harvard Business School in 1975. Daddy was in office from 1989 – 1993 (good God I'm getting old if you don't remember Bush 1...
Yes, Bush Sr. was a House Rep, our UN ambassador, and Chairman of the RNC during those years, but not President.

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:56 am

OneKnight wrote:TIMELINE ERROR --> Bush graduated from Yale University in 1968, and Harvard Business School in 1975. Daddy was in office from 1989 – 1993 (good God I'm getting old if you don't remember Bush 1...
Yes, Bush Sr. was a House Rep, our UN ambassador, and Chairman of the RNC during those years, but not President.

Don't forget Grandpappy Prescott was a US Senator and Yale Alumnus

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”