Narrowed it down to 2 (SEND ME TO LS!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Tulane (20k/yr) vs. BC Law

Tulane (20k/yr)
10
21%
BC at sticker
38
79%
 
Total votes: 48

texaspecial88
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Narrowed it down to 2 (SEND ME TO LS!!)

Postby texaspecial88 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Now it is between:

1) Tulane with 20K/year, if I keep above a 3.0
2) Boston College at sticker

User avatar
H. E. Pennypacker
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Narrowed it down to 2 (SEND ME TO LS!!)

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:31 pm

Where do you want to practice / what type of law? If it's admiralty law, Tulane is your best bet. If you want to practice in the NE, I'd go with BC...

texaspecial88
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: Narrowed it down to 2 (SEND ME TO LS!!)

Postby texaspecial88 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:34 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Where do you want to practice / what type of law? If it's admiralty law, Tulane is your best bet. If you want to practice in the NE, I'd go with BC...


I don't know where I want to practice. I am from Texas but don't necessarily want to return after LS. Don't know what type of law yet either (maybe biglaw/maybe PI/immigration?). And no, i'm not particularly interested in admiralty law...

texaspecial88
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: Narrowed it down to 2 (SEND ME TO LS!!)

Postby texaspecial88 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Also, if you could give your reasoning that would be great. I'm a little hesitant to pay sticker at BC and would love to hear an argument for doing so.

spitfire935
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Narrowed it down to 2 (SEND ME TO LS!!)

Postby spitfire935 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Louisiana uses Napoleonic Code. I'm sure Tulane will teach civil law as well, but it may mean more work with laws that you may just disregard later in life. Now, if you want to live in Louisiana, that's a different story.

User avatar
Rowinguy2009
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Narrowed it down to 2 (SEND ME TO LS!!)

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 pm

If you are unsure, I think that is all the more reason to take scholarship money. Paying sticker at a school like BC would mean you would pretty much need to get into biglaw unless they have some kind of awesome LRAP.

Edit: where on the curve does a 3.0 put you at Tulane? Just make sure they don't have some insanely hard curve that makes median like 2.7 or something, cause then my vote may change.

k10370
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Narrowed it down to 2 (SEND ME TO LS!!)

Postby k10370 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:44 pm

spitfire935 wrote:Louisiana uses Napoleonic Code. I'm sure Tulane will teach civil law as well, but it may mean more work with laws that you may just disregard later in life. Now, if you want to live in Louisiana, that's a different story.


Tulane offers two tracks, if you choose the civil track you don't have to worry about getting all sideways with LA law.

User avatar
The Zeppelin
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: Narrowed it down to 2 (SEND ME TO LS!!)

Postby The Zeppelin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:50 pm

I would avoid LA at all cost.

texaspecial88
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: Narrowed it down to 2 (SEND ME TO LS!!)

Postby texaspecial88 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:If you are unsure, I think that is all the more reason to take scholarship money. Paying sticker at a school like BC would mean you would pretty much need to get into biglaw unless they have some kind of awesome LRAP.

Edit: where on the curve does a 3.0 put you at Tulane? Just make sure they don't have some insanely hard curve that makes median like 2.7 or something, cause then my vote may change.


I think they do "have some kind of awesome LRAP". Can anyone verify this?

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Narrowed it down to 2 (SEND ME TO LS!!)

Postby tram988 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:01 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:
Rowinguy2009 wrote:If you are unsure, I think that is all the more reason to take scholarship money. Paying sticker at a school like BC would mean you would pretty much need to get into biglaw unless they have some kind of awesome LRAP.

Edit: where on the curve does a 3.0 put you at Tulane? Just make sure they don't have some insanely hard curve that makes median like 2.7 or something, cause then my vote may change.


I think they do "have some kind of awesome LRAP". Can anyone verify this?

I've heard they do as well but admittedy I haven't looked into LRAP's. I'll be paying close to sticker for BC. It's an amazing school. Check the NLJ250 stats over the past 5 years or so. Although the market is rough, I'd rather be a BC grad in a little debt working in Boston.

If you want New England, easy, BC.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, a.sch, aaron1621, ad34964n, Baby Gaga, BigBear, BrittanyJeream, dannyswo, Google Adsense [Bot], jjcorvino, jtawil, notsolawful, Solidfood, Zoe107 and 35 guests