Seattle U vs. U San Fran ($) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Seattle U vs. U San Fran ($)

Seattle University
76%
University of San Francisco ($)
24%

Total votes: 25

oberlin08

Bronze

Seattle U vs. U San Fran ($)

Post by oberlin08 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm still waiting for two more 'target' school decisions, so this wont be my final choice but I'm effin curious as to what you guys think.

Please refrain from telling me I should go to neither bc they are mid-lower level T2 Schools, I already know that, but I'm excited about the choices anyway.

Relevant Details:
-I've been notified that I will be offered a minimal amount of grant money from USF ($3500 automatically + possibly more)
-I could see myself working in either the Bay Area, or the Seattle area after graduation. I like both cities pretty much equally at this point.

hotdog123

Bronze

Re: Seattle U vs. U San Fran ($)

Post by hotdog123 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:26 pm

I think this one should boil down to which place you want to live more.

Go visit each city, research research research, then flip a coin, and the moment it goes airborne, you'll know the answer.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:31 pm

haha yea ive realized that, but I was hoping to see if i might fish out some sort of insider knowledge out of TLS.

It probably WILL come down to a coin flip though

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:39 pm

San Fran is in a really saturated market... USF, Santa Clara, Hastings, Boalt, Stanford, to some extent Davis and McGeorge are ALL in the region. I know some Boalt and Standford grads will leave and Davis and McGeorge are inland, but some will come up from SoCal and you'll get the slight influx of T14ers. It's just a lot of lawyers.

I would go with Seattle since I think it's the only one up there (please correct me if I'm wrong) and it looks like you wouldn't mind ending up either place. $3,500 is a drop in the bucket at USF.

erniesto

Bronze

Post by erniesto » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:47 pm

For Seattle you've got the t-14s then UofW and the stronger Cali schools in front of you. Then you'll be ahead of the Oregon schools and Gonzaga but still have competition with them. Seattle isn't a huge legal market either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:00 pm

personally I would take Seattle U, but if you can get into Santa Clara i'd go there over Seattle U

nickc8

Bronze

Post by nickc8 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 pm

It really depends on where you want to practice, but I would personally take Seattle.

I think SF is a little more expensive, and you have to compete with more schools.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:55 pm

bump

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:01 pm

I'd go with Seattle. As someone mentioned earlier, you do have the competition with UW and T14s, but at the same time it is the largest law school in Washington State and has a pretty extensive alumni network. I visited it on Friday and it seems promising. However, you do have to work pretty hard to find a job, and I don't mean just performing well in school. You definitely have to be aggressive in the search and take advantage of their career building opportunities, such as externships.

SF is expensive and very saturated. I don't know that it's worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:14 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll probably repost this poll once i have all my final choices

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:21 pm

erniesto wrote:For Seattle you've got the t-14s then UofW and the stronger Cali schools in front of you. Then you'll be ahead of the Oregon schools and Gonzaga but still have competition with them. Seattle isn't a huge legal market either.
This is true . . . but SU is still the second best law school in a state without a T14 - and Gonzaga is a joke West of the mountains. Any T2/3 in CA is going to compete with Boalt and Stanford, as well as UCLA/USC, Hastings, Davis, Irvine and about 20 other T2/T3's. Granted many T14 and Cali grads try to come to the NW, but SU is reasonably respected here and has many local connections. I'd say it is the lesser of the evils.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”