WUSTL vs Boston U vs USC

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

WUSTL vs Boston U vs USC

WUSTL
35%
Boston U
15%
USC
50%

Total votes: 48

prolyphek

WUSTL vs Boston U vs USC

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:15 am

This is my first time ever posting but I think I am down to my top 3 schools and I am curious as to what people think?

WUSTL w a 90% tuition scholarship vs BU w public interest scholarship (30,000) vs USC no offer but coming.

Thanks
Last edited by prolyphek on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

quickquestionthanks

Re: WUSTL vs Boston U vs USC

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:22 am

Those are some pretty great options, but USC stands out among them. LA is a great place to be if you can afford it, and with the USC alumni network, that shouldn't be a problem. Plus, the weather!

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:28 am

Thats true, LA is really close to home so that sort of makes sense to me. WashU and BU have some really strong international programs and trial advocacy programs. I figure with them being so close in rank, it should come down to money but im not sure.

Ive been wait listed by some t14 and t10 schools but even if I make it in, I don't think I would pay sticker so it's down to these for me.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:28 am

prolyphek wrote:This is my first time ever posting but I think I am down to my top 3 schools and I am curious as to what people think?

WUSTL w a 90% tuition scholarship vs BU w public interest scholarship (amount yet to be disclosed) vs USC no offer but coming.

Thanks
do you have a location preference?....also wustl is going to win this thread if the scholly amounts for the other 2 schools (peer schools more or less) are unknown.

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:38 am

Nope don't really have a preference. Im from Vegas so LA would be more convenient and better for the weather but aside from that I am ready to leave Vegas regardless.

I thought about not posting until I knew from the others but I figured Id try. BU just informed me by phone of the pub interest scholarship today so it may be a little before I know the amount (if I have to wait for the letter in the mail)

Initially I thought that USC's rep carries further than the others but I think that may not actually be true now.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:58 am

its funny i am in the same situation w/ 20/yr from wash u only i am considering gw, bc, and ut more heavily than the three that you named. did u apply to those? why bu over bc?

also did bu tell you about the scholly or that you got it?

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:29 am

prolyphek wrote:Initially I thought that USC's rep carries further than the others but I think that may not actually be true now.

I believe USC used to be higher ranked just a few years ago. I would say it has a much higher reputation. UCLA is ranked better, but Trojan pride is just so much more influential throughout the city.

Also, as someone who is a Phoenix native but has lived in LA, I just want to point out how nice it is that the weather stays pretty much the same year round (yeah, yeah, it's cloudier than people realize), as opposed to turning into a furnace that makes your seatbelt a deadly weapon. And that St. Louis and Boston are f-ing cold.

While USC is in a pretty crappy area, the downtown revitalization is doing very well (check out LA Live) and puts you about 20-30 min from most parts of the LA metro area.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:36 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
prolyphek wrote:Initially I thought that USC's rep carries further than the others but I think that may not actually be true now.

I believe USC used to be higher ranked just a few years ago. I would say it has a much higher reputation. UCLA is ranked better, but Trojan pride is just so much more influential throughout the city.

Also, as someone who is a Phoenix native but has lived in LA, I just want to point out how nice it is that the weather stays pretty much the same year round (yeah, yeah, it's cloudier than people realize), as opposed to turning into a furnace that makes your seatbelt a deadly weapon. And that St. Louis and Boston are f-ing cold.

While USC is in a pretty crappy area, the downtown revitalization is doing very well (check out LA Live) and puts you about 20-30 min from most parts of the LA metro area.

The bolded is entirely false. The only thing UCLA students and USC students share in common is the fact that both were accepted to USC. Yes, decent alumni network. But regional, and widely know to be the lesser institution.

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:39 am

imisscollege wrote:its funny i am in the same situation w/ 20/yr from wash u only i am considering gw, bc, and ut more heavily than the three that you named. did u apply to those? why bu over bc?

also did bu tell you about the scholly or that you got it?

BC didn't accept me, I was wait listed by Texas and GW refused to even consider me for aid because my father (who I don't have a relationship with) refused to provide info, so I declined my admissio there today.

Dean O'Rourke called me this morning to let me know I recieved a public interest scholar award.

Very true, the area has cleaned up quite a bit, I from vegas I know exactly what you mean about the Summers. I visited WUSL last week, everyone was great, it was cold but not all that bad, though I do fear Boston Winters. I agree Trojan people are very loyal and they are every where,
Last edited by prolyphek on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

beardown_tho

Postby beardown_tho » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:46 am

voted USC w/o reading anything, but with 90% paid at WUSTL versus sticker at USC, i'd go with WUSTL

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:28 am

jks289 wrote:
The bolded is entirely false. The only thing UCLA students and USC students share in common is the fact that both were accepted to USC. Yes, decent alumni network. But regional, and widely know to be the lesser institution.

Well it's not entirely false, as UCLA is ranked higher. And since I was referring to USC having a better reputation than BU or WUSTL, I would say it wasn't one bit false.

I'm glad the poster agrees about USC's reputation being pervasive throughout the LA business community.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:33 am

jks289 wrote:

Oh SNAP.

Edit: I think we met last week at WUSTL's ASD, OP. I'd say you'll have to go with your gut on this one. It's going to come down to choosing the school that best fits you, unless of course the money factors in significantly (it most likely will for me). You seemed like a chill guy and I'd be happy to see you at WUSTL in the fall (if I end up there, although it's almost certain at this point). In the end you've gotta go to the place where you'll feel most at home. I'm fortunate that WUSTL both fits that description and offered me the most money.

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:47 pm

stratocophic wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Oh SNAP.

Edit: I think we met last week at WUSTL's ASD, OP. I'd say you'll have to go with your gut on this one. It's going to come down to choosing the school that best fits you, unless of course the money factors in significantly (it most likely will for me). You seemed like a chill guy and I'd be happy to see you at WUSTL in the fall (if I end up there, although it's almost certain at this point). In the end you've gotta go to the place where you'll feel most at home. I'm fortunate that WUSTL both fits that description and offered me the most money.

Yeah, I probably did meet you at admitted students day. I do have to say that I really liked the Dean at WULS, when he spoke about making it a priority that professors are as good at actually teaching as they are at research and scholarship, i really felt like he was genuine. WULS is my top right now ( it will definitely come down to money and atmosphere!)

It's coming down to the wire and I hope to make my decision shortly, though I don't want to right USC or Boston off without visiting which I intend to do the last week of March right before deposits are due.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:55 pm

UCLA and USC are pretty similar in LA, and in CA mostly. Nationally I believe UCLA is pulling away and climbing the rankings/reputation. The "leaked" US news ranking (which is probably fake) supposedly had UCLA now tied with Georgetown at rank 14. UCLA's median was higher last year, and will probably be even more higher this year.

All the schools listed is pretty much more or less a regional school though it seems. WUSTL with the south, Boston with the East, and USC with the West.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:56 pm

If you are at all concerned with the weather, go to USC. The weather in STL and Boston just plain sucks. I'll probably end up in STL, but just know that I will hate Nov-Feb.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:04 pm

On a side note, maybe you should have applied to Irvine. 50% tuition and in their first year they had better medians then USC. although they're unaccredited and not ranked yet, i believe within a decade they will rank very high. Brian Leiter' ranking has Irvine in top 10 regarding faculty as they lured away the top faculty from several top law schools.

Irvine has a fast growing reputation in California, and although their national reputation is not on par with USC, USC is still mostly considered a regional school anyways.

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:27 pm

I wish I would have applied to Irvine..got caught up in the current rankings and didn't pay enough attention until it was too late
Sauer Grapes wrote:If you are at all concerned with the weather, go to USC. The weather in STL and Boston just plain sucks. I'll probably end up in STL, but just know that I will hate Nov-Feb.
finalaspects wrote:
Yeah, being a west coaster I mind be in for a hard transition to the midwest or the east coast but part of me wants to experience a new part of the country...

On a side note, maybe you should have applied to Irvine. 50% tuition and in their first year they had better medians then USC. although they're unaccredited and not ranked yet, i believe within a decade they will rank very high. Brian Leiter' ranking has Irvine in top 10 regarding faculty as they lured away the top faculty from several top law schools.

Irvine has a fast growing reputation in California, and although their national reputation is not on par with USC, USC is still mostly considered a regional school anyways.

I wish I would have applied to Irvine..got caught up in the current rankings and didn't pay enough attention until it was too late

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”