Howard University School of Law 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TnT0711

Re: Howard University School of Law 2013

Postby TnT0711 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:28 am

Last edited by TnT0711 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:48 am

Newyorker88 you only took part of my statement and went a rampage lol....Everything on TLS here is T14 or Bust. :P

Jph408

Postby Jph408 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:58 am

For those of you still waiting, I think Howard is pretty fast at getting back to you. I went complete beginning of December and got my acceptance notification (w/ $20K scholarship) the day after Christmas.

I just got a form in the mail today about the scholarship that is pretty cool. To keep the full scholarship amount, you only need to be in the top 1/3 of your class. Even if you don't make that cut, you won't lose your entire scholarship, just a prorated amount.

Also, I asked the assistant dean about an accepted students day and he told me they had something tentatively scheduled for the end of March. So far I haven't received any notification about it. Has anything regarding an ASD been communicated to any of you who have been accepted?

Howard is definitely my front-runner, but I still haven't heard back from all my schools yet.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:24 am

KellyD09 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
KellyD09 wrote:I was accepted to Howard yesterday.

3.5/161/AA female

You going?

Not sure. Howard gave me a full ride which is awesome, but I'm from New Orleans and the thought of dealing with D.C. weather for 3 years depresses me. I'm weighing Howard against Vandy's half tuition offer, and waiting on aid and decisions from a few others.

If I was in the Vandy v. Howard club, that's where I would draw the line. Vandy is killer and Nashville is a great city. D.C. weather is only bad in the winter, but i like winter. Summer is fantastic...hot...very muggy though.

P.M. me if you want to discuss more. I know what you're going through. it's agonizing.

(Howard) Black history, culture, great academics and an environment where you know you will be absolutely welcomed versus (Vandy) old money, great academics, great tradition, elite status. D.C. v. Nashville. That's a tough one, but I would probably choose Vandy.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:32 am

PDaddy wrote:choose Vandy.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:36 am

hiromoto45 wrote:Newyorker88 you only took part of my statement and went a rampage lol....Everything on TLS here is T14 or Bust. :P

LOL'ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

That got heated.

Shot007

Postby Shot007 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:34 pm

I got a 160/2.96 and got into Howard with 20,000 per year. I am 90% set on going there

reece

Postby reece » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:23 pm

I'm attending in the Fall (w/a 20k scholarship as well)
Does anyone know anything about housing in the area? Or a very neat female looking for a roommate? These prices are crazy!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:30 pm

Shot007 wrote:I got a 160/2.96 and got into Howard with 20,000 per year. I am 90% set on going there

what is the scholly requirement?

reece

Postby reece » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:17 pm

reece wrote:what is the scholly requirement?

You have to be in the top 15% to keep the full $20k and it trickles down from there... you never end up with nothing though.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:21 pm

Yikes! Last year they gave me a full ride with a top 10% stipulation...even more ridiculous.

Shot007

Postby Shot007 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:51 am

reece wrote:

You have to be in the top 15% to keep the full $20k and it trickles down from there... you never end up with nothing though.

The Scholly requirement is not that bad, and I think that there are many worse ones out there. Its top 15% as stated...but even if you are top 20% you get 75% of your scholarship back, and 50% of the scholarship with median. In addition you can also regain a scholarship if lost, however, you can never regain the original scholarship value...

What I was wondering is if anyone knew how they section the classes, is it random? Or do they section all the people with big scholarships in the same classes?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:24 pm

Shot007 wrote:
reece wrote:

The Scholly requirement is not that bad, and I think that there are many worse ones out there. Its top 15% as stated...but even if you are top 20% you get 75% of your scholarship back, and 50% of the scholarship with median. In addition you can also regain a scholarship if lost, however, you can never regain the original scholarship value...

What I was wondering is if anyone knew how they section the classes, is it random? Or do they section all the people with big scholarships in the same classes?

I've never heard of a respectable school with a 10% or 15% scholarship requirement. If I remember correctly, Howard's entering class size is about 150 people. Out of 150, 22 will end up in the top 15%, 30 in the top 20% (or 8 people in the range from 15%-20%), and 75 in the top 50% (or 45 in the range from 20%-50%).

How are those odds not that bad? You basically have a 10k scholarship. I'm sure there are success stories of people who finished in the top 10 or 15%, kept their scholarships, and went on to make the big bucks at Wachtell or wherever, but you are absolutely nuts if youre passing up any amount of money at a t30 to go play roulette at Howard.

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:31 pm

hombredulce wrote:
Shot007 wrote:
reece wrote:

I've never heard of a respectable school with a 10% or 15% scholarship requirement. If I remember correctly, Howard's entering class size is about 150 people. Out of 150, 22 will end up in the top 15%, 30 in the top 20% (or 8 people in the range from 15%-20%), and 75 in the top 50% (or 45 in the range from 20%-50%).

How are those odds not that bad? You basically have a 10k scholarship. I'm sure there are success stories of people who finished in the top 10 or 15%, kept their scholarships, and went on to make the big bucks at Wachtell or wherever, but you are absolutely nuts if youre passing up any amount of money at a t30 to go play roulette at Howard.

Yeah as good as it would be to attend Howard, i have guranteed scholarships at other schools. My home school is not as bad, I got a full ride with a stipulation of top 1/3 but I am declining. I believe that I can perfrom at be towards the top but I don't want to take the risk just in case I don't.

Shot007

Postby Shot007 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:36 pm

Its not bad, but its not crazy to pass up the T30 schools in favor of scholarship at Howard, also taking into mind that Full tuition at Howard is only 25K, therefore, even at 10K scholarship leaves you at only 15K for you final two years --> to me its numbers sense to take a decent scholarship at Howard, over sticker at T30, or a 25% scholarship at a Tier 1

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:57 pm

Shot007 wrote:Its not bad, but its not crazy to pass up the T30 schools in favor of scholarship at Howard, also taking into mind that Full tuition at Howard is only 25K, therefore, even at 10K scholarship leaves you at only 15K for you final two years --> to me its numbers sense to take a decent scholarship at Howard, over sticker at T30, or a 25% scholarship at a Tier 1

Full tuition may only be 25K, but unless you are one of the top 25 students in the class, you don't get to take advantage of the 500+ firms at oci...they arent there to hire median students at Howard.

You're right, a 15% req. isn't that bad, It's T- E- R BULL TERBULL!

I'm not saying pay sticker at a t30, I'm saying take the money from a t30 and run.

Shot007

Postby Shot007 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:08 pm

Howard still performs better than some of the schools in the T30, and I would say a 90% scholarship @ Howard is better than paying 75% at a Tier 1 schools...25 students (20%) in Howard being able to take advantage of the OCI is better than many of the schools where less than 20% of the students get BigLaw...pretty much outside of the T20, 20% getting into bigLaw is pretty respectable...I know the whole spiel about diversity hiring etc...but I don't think Howard is a school that you should say run from, its you opinion, but its a good consideration if you are a black student, with no chance of getting into T20.
The only big difference I guess is if you really care about 'reputation' of your degree. Which, if you're in the black community anyway, Howard has a really good standing.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:28 pm

Shot007 wrote:Howard still performs better than some of the schools in the T30, and I would say a 90% scholarship @ Howard is better than paying 75% at a Tier 1 schools...25 students (20%) in Howard being able to take advantage of the OCI is better than many of the schools where less than 20% of the students get BigLaw...pretty much outside of the T20, 20% getting into bigLaw is pretty respectable...I know the whole spiel about diversity hiring etc...but I don't think Howard is a school that you should say run from, its you opinion, but its a good consideration if you are a black student, with no chance of getting into T20.
The only big difference I guess is if you really care about 'reputation' of your degree. Which, if you're in the black community anyway, Howard has a really good standing.

That's the thing though...Unless there is some major flaw in your application package, you won't be getting a 90% scholarship from Howard without getting at least a 50% offer from somewhere in t1. I'm not trying to persuade you or anyone else not to go to HU, I'm just saying tread lightly. Everyone thinks they are gonna be one of the top 25 students....then grades come back.

reece

Postby reece » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm not going to law school to be mediocre and I plan on being in the top 15%. HUSL is a great school and I know many VERY successful alums who will tell you no different. Success is about hard work, sacrifice, and opportunity. You either have what it takes to succeed or you don't. Aiming to be an average student at a more prestigious school sounds like a lazy roadmap to failure. Save the negativity and just congratulate people on wanting to challenge themselves. Hope to see some of you in the fall!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:52 pm

reece wrote:I'm not going to law school to be mediocre and I plan on being in the top 15%. HUSL is a great school and I know many VERY successful alums who will tell you no different. Success is about hard work, sacrifice, and opportunity. You either have what it takes to succeed or you don't. Aiming to be an average student at a more prestigious school sounds like a lazy roadmap to failure. Save the negativity and just congratulate people on wanting to challenge themselves. Hope to see some of you in the fall!

All 150 people in your class plan on being in the top 20 students...only 20 are actually gonna see that plan realized. The outlook will be great for those 20-30 at the top of the class, but reality will hurt for the nearly 45% of your classmates at HUSL who won't even pass the bar.

No one said go to another school and be average; no one said don't go to Howard. Just don't go with the delusion that a top 15% requirement is "not that bad." It is that bad...

I wish you, and all those who choose to play the dangerous game of accepting scholarships with ridiculous stipulations(at all schools, not just Howard), the best of luck. Law school is tough; hard work and sacrifice are necessary for success, but not sufficient.

My point is this:

If you get half tuition from Vandy you go to Vandy. If You get at least half tuition from any top 30 where you would be comfortable living, you got to the t30. Period. Posters on TLS fool you with the "Howard is gold for URM's." The reality is, Howard is gold for URM's who wouldn't have otherwise had the opportunity to attend a school that put them in front of employers, and finish in the top 20-25 students in their class.

I personally don't want to see anyone fail; I just want to give you all something to think about. If anyone in this thread does end up at Howard, shoot me a PM; I can put you into contact with some great people there who can help you through.

Shot007

Postby Shot007 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:44 am

hombredulce wrote:
Shot007 wrote:Howard still performs better than some of the schools in the T30, and I would say a 90% scholarship @ Howard is better than paying 75% at a Tier 1 schools...25 students (20%) in Howard being able to take advantage of the OCI is better than many of the schools where less than 20% of the students get BigLaw...pretty much outside of the T20, 20% getting into bigLaw is pretty respectable...I know the whole spiel about diversity hiring etc...but I don't think Howard is a school that you should say run from, its you opinion, but its a good consideration if you are a black student, with no chance of getting into T20.

That's the thing though...Unless there is some major flaw in your application package, you won't be getting a 90% scholarship from Howard without getting at least a 50% offer from somewhere in t1. I'm not trying to persuade you or anyone else not to go to HU, I'm just saying tread lightly. Everyone thinks they are gonna be one of the top 25 students....then grades come back.

hats a general statement that is simply not true, I dont think there was any major flaws in my application (Maybe my lower GPA) but yeh, I managed to get a 90% scholarship from Howard...I was leaning Howard before applying anyway, and the scholarship just clinced the deal, as a Black Male, I think it puts me in a great position to do well, I believe being in the top 25% of the entering class (stats wise) puts me in a good position to come out on top...especially when you consider the great benefits to be had from finishing at/near the top of HUSL...its true that everyone thinks they are going to be top 20% but why not put yourself in a school you feel more comfortable and feel you have a better shot at success?..

If I applied & was accepted in a t14 school then I would definitely run to it...
but as it stands for me, my offers at t30 beyond schools are just not enough to convince me that those (largely regional schools) places me in a better situation than Howard...thanks for you candor, I appreciate it a lot

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:44 am

Shot007 wrote:
hombredulce wrote:

hats a general statement that is simply not true, I dont think there was any major flaws in my application (Maybe my lower GPA) but yeh, I managed to get a 90% scholarship from Howard...I was leaning Howard before applying anyway, and the scholarship just clinced the deal, as a Black Male, I think it puts me in a great position to do well, I believe being in the top 25% of the entering class (stats wise) puts me in a good position to come out on top...especially when you consider the great benefits to be had from finishing at/near the top of HUSL...its true that everyone thinks they are going to be top 20% but why not put yourself in a school you feel more comfortable and feel you have a better shot at success?..

If I applied & was accepted in a t14 school then I would definitely run to it...
but as it stands for me, my offers at t30 beyond schools are just not enough to convince me that those (largely regional schools) places me in a better situation than Howard...thanks for you candor, I appreciate it a lot

Good Luck everyone, I just declined my admission today.

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:18 pm

I am sincerely curious as to what happens to the students who finish within the top 50% (excluding the top 20-25%). I am guessing BIGLAW prospect wouldn't be as great as those who take advantage of on-campus OCI but I don't they they would be bad or mediocre. |

Couldn't finishing in the top 50% at Howard be better than finishing in the top 50% at a T1 school?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:I am sincerely curious as to what happens to the students who finish within the top 50% (excluding the top 20-25%). I am guessing BIGLAW prospect wouldn't be as great as those who take advantage of on-campus OCI but I don't they they would be bad or mediocre. |

Couldn't finishing in the top 50% at Howard be better than finishing in the top 50% at a T1 school?

:roll: Naivety

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:54 pm

hombredulce wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:I am sincerely curious as to what happens to the students who finish within the top 50% (excluding the top 20-25%). I am guessing BIGLAW prospect wouldn't be as great as those who take advantage of on-campus OCI but I don't they they would be bad or mediocre. |

:roll: Naivety

I was simply asking. Even a genius asks questions...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”