tips on deferring an acceptance

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jdr110

tips on deferring an acceptance

Postby jdr110 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:27 pm

I've been accepted to a school that I'd really like to attend (Good $, top 20, good location for me). My problem is that a job has sort of fallen into my lap this past month that is also attractive (60k using my engineering major). I really had my mind set on law school, but this opportunity is very attractive as well. My plan as of now is to accept the job offer and try to defer my acceptance from the school for a year. In one year I would evaluate my life plan and decide to pursue law or stay at my job. I want to defer because I really don't want to apply again if I don't have to.

My question is this: what would be the best way to approach the issue of deferring my acceptance? And also, does anyone have any advice on the pros/cons of this? I've read on the site that my scholarship money may be in jeopardy but other than that I see no downsides

First time poster and any input would be very much appreciated!

jdr110

Re: tips on deferring an acceptance

Postby jdr110 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:13 pm

bump

colforbin

Postby colforbin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:21 pm

I would love to hear some thoughts on this as well.

roxj

Postby roxj » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:29 pm

If you applied straight out of undergrad, just say you want to get some life and work experience under your belt, and that it'll make you more confident in your career path and a more interesting/well-rounded law student.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:39 pm

jdr110 wrote:I've been accepted to a school that I'd really like to attend (Good $, top 20, good location for me). My problem is that a job has sort of fallen into my lap this past month that is also attractive (60k using my engineering major). I really had my mind set on law school, but this opportunity is very attractive as well. My plan as of now is to accept the job offer and try to defer my acceptance from the school for a year. In one year I would evaluate my life plan and decide to pursue law or stay at my job. I want to defer because I really don't want to apply again if I don't have to.

My question is this: what would be the best way to approach the issue of deferring my acceptance? And also, does anyone have any advice on the pros/cons of this? I've read on the site that my scholarship money may be in jeopardy but other than that I see no downsides

First time poster and any input would be very much appreciated!

I did this last year, and you're right, there really is no downside to this as long as you're willing to pay sticker the next year.

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:52 pm

I had similar situation --- I basically thought about it like this. Yeah, I could make 60 this year, but it delays my post-law school salary a year, which is likely at least 60k.

Depending on the school you're accepted to, the salary you expect upon leaving, and the longevity you can see yourself having in that job if you decide against law school are about all that matter.

I couldn't see myself at the job for more than a year and expect my starting salary to be above what it offered, so even thought it's double what i make now i was like OK PEACE SUKA.

hth

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:57 pm

I'm deferring next year. Most schools won't guarantee your deferral til you pay the seat deposit (at least in my experience), but for every case I have emailed the admissions dean or whoever being like "Oh, I have such and such an opportunity, I want to do it for these reasons, do you think the committee would approve my deferral request?" and they have responded saying "Oh, what a great opportunity, it definitely sounds like something the committee would approve." And, they do (sometimes at least) defer scholarships - Michigan deferred my Darrow if I so choose (yay just outed myself, hi Dean Z), and my Chicago scholarship sticks as well. Still waiting to hear from NYU.

edit: PM if you want more info or want to see one of the emails :)

colforbin

Postby colforbin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:57 am

What is you are admitted off the WL? Does the ability to defer still exist, or would the school tell you to reapply?

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 am

Im pretty certain most schools will not let you defer if you are accepted off the waitlist. Unless there are truly extenuating circumstances, you cannot defer off the waitlist.

lala222

Postby lala222 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:55 am

What if you just want to defer because you want to travel and volunteer before heading into the real world? Whats the best thing to tell the law schools? When going before the committee, do you need to provide hard evidence or is it all based on what you say?

Also, do most schools allow you to defer your initial deposit? If so, what excuse should I give them?

Olive

Postby Olive » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:48 pm

lala222 wrote:What if you just want to defer because you want to travel and volunteer before heading into the real world? Whats the best thing to tell the law schools? When going before the committee, do you need to provide hard evidence or is it all based on what you say?

Also, do most schools allow you to defer your initial deposit? If so, what excuse should I give them?

+1

Same questions. Bump :oops:

Rock of Love

Postby Rock of Love » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:00 pm

nixxers wrote:I'm deferring next year. Most schools won't guarantee your deferral til you pay the seat deposit (at least in my experience), but for every case I have emailed the admissions dean or whoever being like "Oh, I have such and such an opportunity, I want to do it for these reasons, do you think the committee would approve my deferral request?" and they have responded saying "Oh, what a great opportunity, it definitely sounds like something the committee would approve." And, they do (sometimes at least) defer scholarships - Michigan deferred my Darrow if I so choose (yay just outed myself, hi Dean Z), and my Chicago scholarship sticks as well. Still waiting to hear from NYU.

Note about this: most schools that give you a deferment will consider it a binding deferral - meaning you have to (or are supposed to) withdraw all your other applications and commit to going to that school the following year. Especially for this poster, I highly doubt Michigan would allow you to keep a hold of a Darrow and also have deferments with NYU and Chicago. Basically, when you defer, you are making a final decision with choosing a school. Especially when they allow you to retain scholarship money. Again, this can vary school to school, but a school will explicitly tell you whether you can hold multiple deferrals or not, and you better heed their warning or you will probably lose that scholarship money and/or your seat in the next class.

In regards to people who want to volunteer or go abroad for a year, I'm sure again it varies school to school. In general, I've understood that you need specific evidence of what you're doing in the gap year, not just "oh I want to take time off, don't really know what I'm doing, but will you let me defer?" In terms of how specific you have to be, check with the school casually by e-mail or phone first. Then you need to draft an official request for deferment. The admissions committee or head of admissions will decide whether or not your purpose of deferment is worthy enough or not. Also probably depends on how bad they want you to come to their school.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Rock of Love wrote:
nixxers wrote:I'm deferring next year. Most schools won't guarantee your deferral til you pay the seat deposit (at least in my experience), but for every case I have emailed the admissions dean or whoever being like "Oh, I have such and such an opportunity, I want to do it for these reasons, do you think the committee would approve my deferral request?" and they have responded saying "Oh, what a great opportunity, it definitely sounds like something the committee would approve." And, they do (sometimes at least) defer scholarships - Michigan deferred my Darrow if I so choose (yay just outed myself, hi Dean Z), and my Chicago scholarship sticks as well. Still waiting to hear from NYU.

Note about this: most schools that give you a deferment will consider it a binding deferral - meaning you have to (or are supposed to) withdraw all your other applications and commit to going to that school the following year. Especially for this poster, I highly doubt Michigan would allow you to keep a hold of a Darrow and also have deferments with NYU and Chicago. Basically, when you defer, you are making a final decision with choosing a school. Especially when they allow you to retain scholarship money. Again, this can vary school to school, but a school will explicitly tell you whether you can hold multiple deferrals or not, and you better heed their warning or you will probably lose that scholarship money and/or your seat in the next class.

All true, sorry if I was unclear. Essentially, I emailed the schools to say "if I choose your school, will you let me defer for this reason" and they all said, "yeah." So I haven't officially been deferred anywhere since I haven't sent my deposit anywhere (and whether or not they'd be likely to let me defer at all is a big factor in what school I pick). And since the Darrow has a special process - the faculty committee has to agree - Dean Zearfoss asked them and they said yes too. So I have the deferral paperwork on hand for if I pick Michigan, and I have til April 30 to do so or not.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”