Elon 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where would you go? Tuition is no option.

Campbell
37%
Charleston
7%
Charlotte
8%
Elon
34%
NCCU
14%

Total votes: 113

mountaineerlaw

Re: Elon 2013

Postby mountaineerlaw » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:47 pm

If this counts for any bonus points to anyone thinking about Elon - I don't think I've dealt with anyone that is more nice than Dean Gaskins from Elon. I've probably sent her 3 or 4 emails getting all my stuff together and making sure I have all my stuff in, and she has been amazingly friendly in all of her responses. She was also very pleasant on ASD and came over and mentioned specific parts about my PS when she spoke with me. She really has made me feel welcome to the school.

MrMcAllister

Postby MrMcAllister » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:52 pm

mountaineerlaw wrote:If this counts for any bonus points to anyone thinking about Elon - I don't think I've dealt with anyone that is more nice than Dean Gaskins from Elon. I've probably sent her 3 or 4 emails getting all my stuff together and making sure I have all my stuff in, and she has been amazingly friendly in all of her responses. She was also very pleasant on ASD and came over and mentioned specific parts about my PS when she spoke with me. She really has made me feel welcome to the school.

I had the exact same experience - even with her recollection of parts of my statements. I think we're going to feel right at home there. Not to mention the new facility is very nice and right next to some nice pubs.

MrMcAllister

Postby MrMcAllister » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:51 pm

Dean Gaskin has informed me that decisions will be sent on April 12th. I didn't ask if they would be sent via e-mail or snail mail.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:45 pm

From what I've heard, campbell is the best tier3+ option for nc.

climbintolaw

Postby climbintolaw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 am

Has anyone heard from Elon about the Leadership Fellows finalists? Interviews are in a couple of weeks I believe.

mountaineerlaw

Postby mountaineerlaw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Not yet. I think the word is that news will come out at some point today or tomorrow.

carolinamoonie88

Postby carolinamoonie88 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:57 pm

anyone who is going to Elon Law next year:

I go to elon for undergrad, and picked it over other schools (WM, UMD, Richmond, etc-- good schools!) because of being in the honors fellows program and because of the awesome vibe it has. It was an AWESOME decision for me. Everything Elon touches works out in its favor-- President Leo Lambert (very nice looking man!) is great, and tuition is reasonable. The major thing is that Elon is SO hands on, and that your professors are so available and ready to give 1-on-1 help. I am ending my 4 years here and moving on elsewhere for law school, but know that Elon is a great place that-- if you take advantage of the opportunities-- will make you into an AWESOME student, lawyer, and human.

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:44 am

mountaineerlaw wrote:Not yet. I think the word is that news will come out at some point today or tomorrow.

Anyone hear anything about the Leadership Fellows Program yet?

climbintolaw

Postby climbintolaw » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:53 am

Nope.

mountaineerlaw

Postby mountaineerlaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:21 am

I got a letter from Dean Gaskin last night telling me that I am invited to the interviews next week.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 am

maybe you shouldn't make this the official elon thread seeing as how it starts with a poll where elon gets creamed by campbell

dailykosak

Postby dailykosak » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:56 am

mountaineerlaw wrote:I got a letter from Dean Gaskin last night telling me that I am invited to the interviews next week.

Likewise. It seems like a great opportunity and I am excited to interview. See you there.

NClaw4

Postby NClaw4 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:25 pm

I received the e-mail acceptance letter 6 days after I applied and the actual letter came about 2 weeks after that. Did you guys get your scholarship offers with the letter or did they come later? If all goes well and they extend some sort of scholarship to me I will see you guys in August. Has anyone looked around at the living situation up there?

MrMcAllister

Postby MrMcAllister » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:maybe you shouldn't make this the official elon thread seeing as how it starts with a poll where elon gets creamed by campbell

Because eight more people voting in favor of Campbell is getting creamed? Percentage figures are clearly easy to show extreme results when the sample is small.

MrMcAllister

Postby MrMcAllister » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:24 pm

dailykosak wrote:
mountaineerlaw wrote:I got a letter from Dean Gaskin last night telling me that I am invited to the interviews next week.

Likewise. It seems like a great opportunity and I am excited to interview. See you there.

Same here. Looking forward it.

Anyone have any idea how many people have applied to the fellowship program? Just curious of the odds of being accepted into it.

Little Jerk

Postby Little Jerk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:From what I've heard, campbell is the best tier3+ option for nc.

Umm..you heard wrong. I would say Campbell is better than Charlotte, but that's about it. Campbell has been around for over 30 years now, and is still a 4th tier law school. I went to a Campbell Law open house last fall at their new location and was extremely disappointed. In fact I decided I didn't even want to apply there. They do have a beautiful facility in a nice location, but unfortunately they appear to have a lot of idiots running the show. You expect law schools to really show their stuff during an open house, and if what I saw was the best Campbell has to offer I don't see how they're still in business. The people at Elon on the other hand were AMAZING. In about 10 years, I see Elon as a first tier law school approaching the ranks of Wake Forest, if not surpassing them. Legal professionals and judges across the state share this opinion..I know because I've heard it from their mouths. My point is, what Elon is doing right now is better than what just about any other law school in the state is doing. I've decided to attend Elon over other options here in NC, and I know several other people who are doing the same. Don't let the "newness" of the school scare you. I've decided to embrace it.
Last edited by Little Jerk on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Jerk

Postby Little Jerk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:17 pm

I also got an invitation to interview for the Leadership Fellows program. My interview is on Saturday the 24th. Did anyone else get an interview on a different day? Has anyone been denied an interview? I'm trying to size up how many people we're up against. Congrats to the other finalists!

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Little Jerk wrote: In about 10 years, I see Elon as a first tier law school approaching the ranks of Wake Forest, if not surpassing them.

Uh, I'm sorry, but not a chance.

Little Jerk

Postby Little Jerk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:50 pm

deadpanic wrote:
Little Jerk wrote: In about 10 years, I see Elon as a first tier law school approaching the ranks of Wake Forest, if not surpassing them.

Elon University and Wake Forest University are ranked about the same in "Best Value Private Schools in America" rankings. Both in the top 30 I believe. I think it's pretty reasonable to think their Law programs will be compatible in the future. Especially considering how Elon's law program is taking off.

MrMcAllister

Postby MrMcAllister » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Little Jerk wrote:
deadpanic wrote:

Elon University and Wake Forest University are ranked about the same in "Best Value Private Schools in America" rankings. Both in the top 30 I believe. I think it's pretty reasonable to think their Law programs will be compatible in the future. Especially considering how Elon's law program is taking off.

I think you're right about this. US News and World Report also ranked Elon at #2 for southern master's-level universities. I highly doubt that Elon will not provide the necessary tools to show success from its major investment in a law school. Elon's recent February bar passage statistic should be sending quite a message to the rest of NC law schools, which trailed behind. Most of the TLSers focus a lot on USNWR rankings. I wonder if they know who the hell David Gergen is and the implications produced by his advisory role for Elon's law school.

Like you said, the school just needs time to establish its alumni network and reputation of successful practice, which will enable it to be more selective. No chance of that in 10-15 years? Maybe for someone who knows nothing about the institution. Until then, I'll be looking forward to seeing Elon place above Duke and UNC (while actually defeating Boston College and George Mason) in moot court competitions, like they did in the Craven competition at UNC last year, while wondering whether or not those elite institutions sent their best students to represent them (and why they didn't if they didn't).
Last edited by MrMcAllister on Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:17 pm

Little Jerk wrote:
deadpanic wrote:

Just because their undergraduate programs are ranked similarly does not mean their law programs are, or will be. Both of their undergrads have been around since the 1800s and are very well respected. WFU Law, in that same regard, is well established and respected whereas Elon Law has been around only a few years. I would say it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for Elon Law to ever pass Wake Forest Law, which has been around since 1894.

Not to mention most people outside of the Southeast have never heard of Elon, and certainly not Elon Law School.

Bar passage rates are great, but Campbell generally has the highest rate, or close to it, and it is T4. Anyway, I guess my main point is that Elon Law could be & probably will be a solid law school in NC, but it will always be behind Duke, UNC & Wake Forest. And as of right now, it is also behind Campbell and NCCU. Go to Elon Law, have fun, make it great, but just don't expect it to have a better reputation than Wake in 10 years.

mountaineerlaw

Postby mountaineerlaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:15 pm

Little Jerk wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:From what I've heard, campbell is the best tier3+ option for nc.

Umm..you heard wrong. I would say Campbell is better than Charlotte, but that's about it. Campbell has been around for over 30 years now, and is still a 4th tier law school. I went to a Campbell Law open house last fall at their new location and was extremely disappointed. In fact I decided I didn't even want to apply there. They do have a beautiful facility in a nice location, but unfortunately they appear to have a lot of idiots running the show. You expect law schools to really show their stuff during an open house, and if what I saw was the best Campbell has to offer I don't see how they're still in business. The people at Elon on the other hand were AMAZING. In about 10 years, I see Elon as a first tier law school approaching the ranks of Wake Forest, if not surpassing them. Legal professionals and judges across the state share this opinion..I know because I've heard it from their mouths. My point is, what Elon is doing right now is better than what just about any other law school in the state is doing. I've decided to attend Elon over other options here in NC, and I know several other people who are doing the same. Don't let the "newness" of the school scare you. I've decided to embrace it.

+1 - I'm in the same boat as you...I find the "newness" of the school very attractive and I think some of their progressive ideas will make Elon Law a force to be reckoned with in the future. 10 years is probably an aggressive timetable, but one I feel like the Elon Law folks would embrace. What other school has their goals printed on a large board in a main hallway for everyone to see? All the goals printed pointed to Elon wanting to break out of the gates strong as a T3 and possibly surpassing that in the near future.

MrMcAllister

Postby MrMcAllister » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:49 pm

deadpanic wrote:
Little Jerk wrote:
deadpanic wrote:

Just because their undergraduate programs are ranked similarly does not mean their law programs are, or will be. Both of their undergrads have been around since the 1800s and are very well respected. WFU Law, in that same regard, is well established and respected whereas Elon Law has been around only a few years. I would say it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for Elon Law to ever pass Wake Forest Law, which has been around since 1894.

Not to mention most people outside of the Southeast have never heard of Elon, and certainly not Elon Law School.

Bar passage rates are great, but Campbell generally has the highest rate, or close to it, and it is T4. Anyway, I guess my main point is that Elon Law could be & probably will be a solid law school in NC, but it will always be behind Duke, UNC & Wake Forest. And as of right now, it is also behind Campbell and NCCU. Go to Elon Law, have fun, make it great, but just don't expect it to have a better reputation than Wake in 10 years.

Sure, undergraduate and graduate success/recognition at Elon does not necessarily mean that the law school will have such recognition/success. I just tend to be optimistic in trusting that the university simply isn't going to throw away its huge new investment by not supplying the law school with similar tools for success. I also see the innovative tools the law school is utilizing and am optimistic about the results it will produce with regard to the quality of its output of attorneys. If rankings rely largely on a long-term reputation (which you hold in high regard with WF), then there is something severely lacking in the ranking systems. Once the law school is more firmly established (continued success in national moot court comps, maintaing aggressive bar passage and employment statistics, etc.), Elon will be more selective with their prospective students, which will help bring up rankings and established a wider alumni network. I believe that trend has already started and will be established more firmly in the next several years. I guess we'll have to wait and see, though.

Perhaps Campbell does usually lead in bar passage rates. However, Elon just had its very first graduating class, which not only led in the recent bar exam statistics but is also providing its students with hands-on legal experience (preceptor program, in-house courthouse) at a rate that significantly exceeds NC law schools and national averages. Further, the reason Elon Law is behind NCCU and Campbell is because it hasn't been ranked yet (at least in USNWR). Who knows what kind of place it will find in its first ranking (maybe next year after full approval?). David Gergen's advisory role didn't exactly hurt. There's no reason to ignore the possbility that Elon could be comparable (rankings-wise) to WF in 10-15 years. Will it happen? Who knows. But is there a chance that it can happen? Certainly. Is Elon Law taking the right steps in that direction? It appears to be so.

I won't be surprised if Elon isn't comparable to WF in a decade (though I will be surprised if it isn't on its way in that direction), but you shouldn't be surprised if it is, either.

climbintolaw

Postby climbintolaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Well, I did not get the interview invitation to the Leadership Fellows. Congratulations and good luck to those of you that did, however. I did not expect to be among the finalists, as I'm a pretty severe splitter (good LSAT/bad GPA) and the Leadership Fellows seems to be for those with at least a good GPA, or both. Seems like a great opportunity for those that are accepted, especially the summer work after 1L.
As for Elon, it looks like my destination for the Fall and I am excited. I have a Waitlist at another school to play out, but I doubt it will change anything.
I feel confident that Elon will rank in the top 100 on USNWR in the not too distant future (for whatever that's worth) and in the long run has potential to crack the top 50. The school is small, well funded, and already has a good reputation. We'll see, but I feel fortunate that I applied when I did, because I believe it will be getting harder to gain admission to Elon Law.
I believe the weekend after next there is an open house of sorts for admitted students. Is this right? Is anyone else going?
Congrats again to LF finalists.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 pm

Sure, undergraduate and graduate success/recognition at Elon does not necessarily mean that the law school will have such recognition/success. I just tend to be optimistic in trusting that the university simply isn't going to throw away its huge new investment by not supplying the law school with similar tools for success.

Sigh...
they can have all the tools they want.
A little over 60% of USNWR is reputation + gpa +lsat.

Thats something that no amount of money or tools can get.

I want to echo the sentiment above... its a good school, and I'm sure it will give you a good education... just please make sure you know what you are getting into in terms of a financial investment.

Also... being new is actually NOT good. It means you have no alumni network to help you get hired.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”