Elon 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where would you go? Tuition is no option.

Campbell
42
37%
Charleston
8
7%
Charlotte
9
8%
Elon
38
34%
NCCU
16
14%
 
Total votes: 113

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat May 01, 2010 11:07 am

zing!

Little Jerk
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:53 am

Re: Elon 2013

Postby Little Jerk » Mon May 03, 2010 9:48 am

rockstar4488 wrote:
Little Jerk wrote:^^^^^^^^^
I did not go to Elon. The reason their undergraduate program was brought up was because some idiot expressed concerns that Elon's horrible undergraduate reputation would hurt the future success of Elon's Law school. I was simply correcting a false claim someone made in a previous post. Did you really not see that?


I am said idiot. But since we're reducing ourselves to ad hominem attacks, you sir, are both little, and a jerk. Therefore you are wrong.

But look, I'm not pulling the fact that Elon is uncompetitive out of my rear. USNWR doesn't rank Elon against major schools, so we don't really have any way of knowing what #2 on the Southern Masters' Rankings means as far as comparing it to the normal college rankings. I argue that based on its company on that rankings list... not very much. But Forbes.com does not differentiate between what is a "National University" and what is a "Southern Masters University". We can see there that Elon is #396 nationally and #12 in the state of NC. And yes, I very much believe that the lack of competitiveness of the undergrad program will hold down the reputation of the law school.


Idiot, Do you know what stats Forbes uses to determine this ranking? This seems like a pretty jacked up ranking. Neither Duke nor Elon made the top 100. Elon was ranked higher than N.C. State though. I guess they got at least that right. Please stop trying to debunk my claim about Elon being one of the most competitive schools in NC. Even the ranking you showed puts it ahead of N.C. State, which I consider one of the best and most competitive schools in the state. Just let it go, man.

jh60405
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby jh60405 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:15 am

Elon undergrad is nowhere near UNC, Davidson, or Duke. Its a little closer to NCSU and Wake Forest, but its no closer than UNC-W or Appalachian State. ASU and UNC-W are its peer schools. They only people who think of Elon as substantially better than UNC-W and ASU are Elon graduates. The three schools move back and forth in the US News Rankings every year, Elon at #2 is not a permanent place. Student quality between the three schools is also very similar. The only real difference is that most Elon students are out of state (because no one with instate tuition at UNCW, ASU, or UNCA will pick Elon).

Either way, I would definitely take Campbell and NCCU over Elon. They've both been around longer. They're both fully accredited. NCCU is wayyyyy cheaper. Elon is not worth the price for law school. Honestly its not worth the price for undergrad either.

User avatar
actorlaw
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Elon 2013

Postby actorlaw » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:05 pm

bump

rockstar4488
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby rockstar4488 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:02 am

TLS's premier thread returns!

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby merichard87 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:12 am

What is Elon and why does this great defender seem to think it is a premier anything? I don't know enough about it to say its trash but it doesn't seem like it can compare to Duke, UNC or Wake in prestige and name recognition alone.

User avatar
actorlaw
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Elon 2013

Postby actorlaw » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:03 pm

but where is Nicholasnickynic?

i think we need him present to get the ball rolling.

TurgidWorm
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:24 am

Re: Elon 2013

Postby TurgidWorm » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:40 am

I am a 2L at Elon Law. In my personal opinion, it is entirely likely that Elon will be ranked T1 within the next 10-15 years. That is, if it is not ranked T1 when it's first US News rankings get published. Sure, it's anecdotal, but I personally do not know a single Elon Law gradaute who did not pass the bar or is not currently employed and making good money. Most of my classmates are employed in jobs/internships during the school year too.

Elon's a great choice, and if you've got a competitive gpa/lsat, the scholarships they will likely offer you make Elon a safe bet. If you want to work for Chicago or New York Biglaw firm after graduation, then Elon might not be your best choice. But if you call North Carolina home, and you're happy to work somewhere in the Southeast, especially NC, then you should have no qualms about choosing Elon.

Check out this article from the NC Bar Newsletter describing Elon's innovative program from when they first opened.

http://www.ncbar.gov/journal/archive/journal_11,4.pdf

User avatar
2Serious4Numbers
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:51 am

TurgidWorm wrote:I am a 2L at Elon Law. In my personal opinion, it is entirely likely that Elon will be ranked T1 within the next 10-15 years. That is, if it is not ranked T1 when it's first US News rankings get published. Sure, it's anecdotal, but I personally do not know a single Elon Law gradaute who did not pass the bar or is not currently employed and making good money. Most of my classmates are employed in jobs/internships during the school year too.

Elon's a great choice, and if you've got a competitive gpa/lsat, the scholarships they will likely offer you make Elon a safe bet. If you want to work for Chicago or New York Biglaw firm after graduation, then Elon might not be your best choice. But if you call North Carolina home, and you're happy to work somewhere in the Southeast, especially NC, then you should have no qualms about choosing Elon.

Check out this article from the NC Bar Newsletter describing Elon's innovative program from when they first opened.

http://www.ncbar.gov/journal/archive/journal_11,4.pdf


did you really just assert that elon would be listed in the top 50 schools in the nation within the next 15 years? Are you insane or just delusional? Because strictly speaking your ability to reason is seriously in question after posting that

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:13 pm

I would be very wary to attend Elon. Make sure you do your research and lots of it. Anyhing less than a full boat would be EXTREMELY risky. There are too many schools in NC as it is and many of them trump Elon.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Are you trying to screw people over. It will take 10-15 years for Elon to become a TTT. The UG campus in nice, yes. However, it is far from a great school.


TurgidWorm wrote:I am a 2L at Elon Law. In my personal opinion, it is entirely likely that Elon will be ranked T1 within the next 10-15 years. That is, if it is not ranked T1 when it's first US News rankings get published. Sure, it's anecdotal, but I personally do not know a single Elon Law gradaute who did not pass the bar or is not currently employed and making good money. Most of my classmates are employed in jobs/internships during the school year too.

Elon's a great choice, and if you've got a competitive gpa/lsat, the scholarships they will likely offer you make Elon a safe bet. If you want to work for Chicago or New York Biglaw firm after graduation, then Elon might not be your best choice. But if you call North Carolina home, and you're happy to work somewhere in the Southeast, especially NC, then you should have no qualms about choosing Elon.

Check out this article from the NC Bar Newsletter describing Elon's innovative program from when they first opened.

http://www.ncbar.gov/journal/archive/journal_11,4.pdf

User avatar
edgarfigaro
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby edgarfigaro » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 am

merichard87 wrote:What is Elon and why does this great defender seem to think it is a premier anything? I don't know enough about it to say its trash but it doesn't seem like it can compare to Duke, UNC or Wake in prestige and name recognition alone.


Here's the perfect description of Elon undergrad, from a high school classmate who transfered out after his first year.

"Elon is the summer camp of colleges"

Also, laughing at the notion that Elon will be a tier 1 anytime soon. Elon will struggle to even pass Central, and I seriously doubt they'll ever pass Campbell (the move to Raleigh is the best thing Campbell's ever done).

In the end, it doesn't matter because Elon/Campbell/Centtttral/Charlotttte grads aren't getting jobs without connections, period. And by connections, I mean promised jobs in the family's law firm. If you're desperate enough to goto law school in NC, and you can't get into Duke/UNC/Wake, choose Central- you'll thank me when you can cover your debt payments while working at Target.

(The only thing going for Elon is the lack of t in the name)

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby SrLaw » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:50 pm

edgarfigaro wrote:
merichard87 wrote:What is Elon and why does this great defender seem to think it is a premier anything? I don't know enough about it to say its trash but it doesn't seem like it can compare to Duke, UNC or Wake in prestige and name recognition alone.


Here's the perfect description of Elon undergrad, from a high school classmate who transfered out after his first year.

"Elon is the summer camp of colleges"

Also, laughing at the notion that Elon will be a tier 1 anytime soon. Elon will struggle to even pass Central, and I seriously doubt they'll ever pass Campbell (the move to Raleigh is the best thing Campbell's ever done).

In the end, it doesn't matter because Elon/Campbell/Centtttral/Charlotttte grads aren't getting jobs without connections, period. And by connections, I mean promised jobs in the family's law firm. If you're desperate enough to goto law school in NC, and you can't get into Duke/UNC/Wake, choose Central- you'll thank me when you can cover your debt payments while working at Target.

(The only thing going for Elon is the lack of t in the name)



+1000

User avatar
jwrash
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby jwrash » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:32 pm

MrMcAllister wrote:
EmilyC. wrote:
mountaineerlaw wrote:I got an email the same day and got a letter about 3 days later.

I'm most likely going to Elon because of the scholarship I got. I fully believe the school will be completely accredited by the ABA at the end of the summer, considering their employment rates, pass rate on the bar, and their success in competition. Of course I have no idea if there are other criteria that go into the process, but it seems like those would have some bearing on it.

I'm also turning in the leadership fellows essays today, has anyone heard back from that process?


Not yet. They offered $16000/yr in regular scholarship so if I am able to get both it might be worth it but with tuition at over 30K I don't really see how I can take on so much debt for a school that doesn't quite have a reputation yet.


I really encourage you to read more about what Elon offers. If you read the faculty bios, you'll see that many of them are from very distinguished schools and published experts. I would imagine that's typical of any law school, but what they offer students simply is not. Their preceptor program is a fantastic way to get direct experience working under an attorney and can help secure internships/jobs in summers or after graduation. It helps give students actual contacts in the legal field, shadowing experience, and work experience. The law school actually has a courtroom inside of it, which is pretty unique. The student organizations are comparable to other law schools, and the leadership fellows program allows students to meet first-hand with guests brought in by the law school (most recently Sandra Day O'Connor). Their employment rate for their first graduating class in this economy was right below 90% at 9 months, and their bar passage rate was comparable to other schools in the area.

Sure, they don't have much of a reputation...yet. But once lawyers and law schools in the area start to reflect on Elon's success in national moot court competitions, they might take it a bit more seriously. By the time the class of 2013 graduates, there will certainly be some successful firms with Elon graduates who will have shown the employers in those firms that they are serious lawyers. The network won't be nearly as big as that of UNC or Campbell, but it will be big enough to force employers to consider Elon graduates as legitmate employees.

I can see the reluctance, but you've got a half-tuition scholarship. If you've got an offer that is comparable to attend Campbell, I'd seriously suggest you think more about what the schools offer rather than their reputations. If you're considering other schools in NC that are cheaper, like Central, then it may be better for you go with the cheaper tuition with a comparable or slightly better reputation. But I would certainly place the quality of education and likelihood of an improved reputation at Elon above every law school in the state except Duke.

I guess it really comes down to wanting to be a person who develops the reputation of the quality of a school rather than riding on the reputation of another established institution. That's something that doesn't bother me, but I understand how it can be a serious concern. But if you're dedicated to being an exceptional student and practitioner of law, it really won't matter where you graduated from once you've been working for a few years. You can do exceptional work at a crappy firm if that's what it takes, and you've really got to think about just how far a school's reputation will assist in actually being offered a job and excelling at it. A reputation of a law shcool won't grant that excellence in itself, and a poor firm doesn't necessarily have to hinder it. Sometimes you just have to work for things, and no acceptable law school is going to make that easy.

Real?

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby SrLaw » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:09 pm

bump

MrMcAllister
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby MrMcAllister » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Yes.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Just came back to say... everything I have said in this post about elon being crap: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+8 . Validated. That is all.

JDJD2010
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby JDJD2010 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:10 pm

You probably should do your research before you make such a slanderous accusations.

"Schools Not Ranked and listed as Unranked

University of La Verne in California, Charleston School of Law in South Carolina, Charlotte School of Law and Elon University in North Carolina, and Drexel University in Pennsylvania are not ranked because as of February 2011 they were only provisionally approved by the American Bar Association and are listed as Unranked. Three law schools in Puerto Rico—Pontifical Catholic University, Inter American University, and the University of Puerto Rico—are listed as Unranked (see full explanation below for Unranked). To be ranked and listed on the overall ranking tables, a law school must be accredited and fully approved by the American Bar Association and must draw most of its students from the United States."

Source: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... 2?PageNr=2

Elon cannot be ranked yet because it is still under provisional accreditation.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:21 pm

JDJD2010 wrote:You probably should do your research before you make such a slanderous accusations.

"Schools Not Ranked and listed as Unranked

University of La Verne in California, Charleston School of Law in South Carolina, Charlotte School of Law and Elon University in North Carolina, and Drexel University in Pennsylvania are not ranked because as of February 2011 they were only provisionally approved by the American Bar Association and are listed as Unranked. Three law schools in Puerto Rico—Pontifical Catholic University, Inter American University, and the University of Puerto Rico—are listed as Unranked (see full explanation below for Unranked). To be ranked and listed on the overall ranking tables, a law school must be accredited and fully approved by the American Bar Association and must draw most of its students from the United States."

Source: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... 2?PageNr=2

Elon cannot be ranked yet because it is still under provisional accreditation.


Actually it would be libel. But its not, cause Elon is crap. If you tell the truth, its not libel. And Elon's a public figure. So yeah, this doesn't even come close to slander.

MrMcAllister
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby MrMcAllister » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:36 pm

Are you suggesting that being a public figure precludes the possibility of a successful claim of libel?

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:46 pm

MrMcAllister wrote:Are you suggesting that being a public figure precludes the possibility of a successful claim of libel?



No but there is a much higher standard for public figures.

jh60405
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Elon 2013

Postby jh60405 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:54 pm

TurgidWorm wrote: Sure, it's anecdotal, but I personally do not know a single Elon Law gradaute who did not pass the bar or is not currently employed and making good money. Most of my classmates are employed in jobs/internships during the school year too.


Thank god for LST. In 2010, when the post above was written, people would actually believe this crap because there really wasn't any reliable data to refute it. Today prospective students who are willing to put in 20 or 30 hours of research before going to law school will probably see some actual numbers before blowing 100k on a legal education that is unlikely to result in an actual legal job . . . http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/elon/2013/

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22835
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Elon 2013

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:58 pm

Did you really need to necro a three-year-old thread to make that point?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apricots, azaleafire, hammy393, hellohalo, kthrynf, PDX4343, pkalltheway, samsamthomas, sjs12 and 7 guests