Elon 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where would you go? Tuition is no option.

Campbell
37%
Charleston
7%
Charlotte
8%
Elon
34%
NCCU
14%

Total votes: 113

NCcop2lawyer

Elon 2013

Postby NCcop2lawyer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:54 pm

Okay, just wanted to start this off, I looked through several of the pages for an Elon page without luck. I applied 12/30 and submitted essays for the leadership fellows. Has anyone been accepted to the program? Let's get the ball rolling!

juliusgirlie

Re: Elon 2013

Postby juliusgirlie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:59 pm

I didn't apply to the program, but am considering Elon due to a full ride scholly. Still debating between it and Campbell as a backup to UNC. I read about the leadership program before applying and it just seemed like a little too much work on top of an already rigorous class load. But if you're going for it, props.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:40 pm

I'd love to live in Charleston... 8)

EmilyC.

Postby EmilyC. » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:34 pm

I applied to Elon and for the Leadership Fellowship. It's my first choice! I'd love to go there and my LSAT score was pretty low but right in their range so it's definitely possible to get in. I also applied to UNC, and Campbell. Charlotte Law just (as in seconds ago) sent me an email offering $15,000/yr based on my LSAT (156) and GPA (3.9) so I think I will apply there tomorrow. I have to go where I can get the most money though. :oops:

elaw86

Postby elaw86 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:41 pm

From what I can see, Campbell and NCCU are the only schools fully accredited.
Elon, and Charlotte are not, and Charleston says "provisional".

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:57 pm

If tuition is no factor, Campbell.

Otherwise, NCCU, cheap in-state tuition. I'm not sure I can comment on the job prospects, but they are surely as good as Campbell and better than Charlotte, Elon, or Charleston (all unaccredited in tough markets) and it will not put you in as much debt as those.

Notor

Postby Notor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:06 pm

EmilyC. wrote:I applied to Elon and for the Leadership Fellowship. It's my first choice! I'd love to go there and my LSAT score was pretty low but right in their range so it's definitely possible to get in. I also applied to UNC, and Campbell. Charlotte Law just (as in seconds ago) sent me an email offering $15,000/yr based on my LSAT (156) and GPA (3.9) so I think I will apply there tomorrow. I have to go where I can get the most money though. :oops:

Retake and break 160 and you will get more money to better schools

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:07 pm

deadpanic wrote:If tuition is no factor, Campbell.

Otherwise, NCCU, cheap in-state tuition. I'm not sure I can comment on the job prospects, but they are surely as good as Campbell and better than Charlotte, Elon, or Charleston (all unaccredited in tough markets) and it will not put you in as much debt as those.

+1. He knows what he's talking about.

lawschool5523

Postby lawschool5523 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:09 pm

Elon is really up and coming and will be fully accredited by the end of the year. They have great programs, and have the North Carolina Business Court inside the law school. I also think they have the funding to give out great scholarships.

EmilyC.

Postby EmilyC. » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:25 am

Notor wrote:
EmilyC. wrote:I applied to Elon and for the Leadership Fellowship. It's my first choice! I'd love to go there and my LSAT score was pretty low but right in their range so it's definitely possible to get in. I also applied to UNC, and Campbell. Charlotte Law just (as in seconds ago) sent me an email offering $15,000/yr based on my LSAT (156) and GPA (3.9) so I think I will apply there tomorrow. I have to go where I can get the most money though. :oops:

I wish I could. I actually got a migraine during the LG section (my worst anyway) and with less than 5 minutes left still had 12 unanswered questions which I filled in with all "C"s. It was brutal. I am actually taking it again in June but it will be a little too late for this admissions cycle as I'll be thirty in August and finances/kids/life has caused me to put off law school this long. I am not going to wait another year. I am sure I'll break 160 in June, get good grades in my 1st year and potentially be able to transfer.

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:11 am

EmilyC. wrote:
Notor wrote:

I wish I could. I actually got a migraine during the LG section (my worst anyway) and with less than 5 minutes left still had 12 unanswered questions which I filled in with all "C"s. It was brutal. I am actually taking it again in June but it will be a little too late for this admissions cycle as I'll be thirty in August and finances/kids/life has caused me to put off law school this long. I am not going to wait another year. I am sure I'll break 160 in June, get good grades in my 1st year and potentially be able to transfer.

If your goal is transferring, you should keep in mind and be aware that North Carolina law schools have an agreement not to take transfers from other North Carolina law schools. I only say that because I see that you're in N.C. and thought you might be interested in transferring to Wake or Chapel Hill if you break 160 and do well as a first year.

MrMcAllister

Postby MrMcAllister » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Glad to see some other folks looking at Elon.
Last edited by MrMcAllister on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NCcop2lawyer

Postby NCcop2lawyer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:09 pm

MrMcAllister wrote:Glad to see some other folks looking at Elon.

I applied around 1/20 and was accepted around 2/10 with a full scholarship witha 161 lsat and 3.57 gpa. Their preceptor program seems pretty interesting and effective, and their national moot court competition results and recently-released employment stats (90%) make me feel a bit more secure about choosing Elon. They have a very promising program, and it looks like everything is lining up for Elon to be fully accredited.

Good luck to all other applicants - looking forward to working with you guys soon!

Congrats! That is an awesome opportunity.

nsloane

Postby nsloane » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:40 pm

I applied to Elon on 2/11. I am hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst, as my LSAT is very low. My status just went "in committe review" on 3/8. It hasn't changed since.
To those of you who have heard--does anyone know if this is a good, bad, or indifferent sign? How long were you all under review for?

climbintolaw

Postby climbintolaw » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:47 pm

I was in committee review for only a few days before I was admitted to Elon. Don't know if this helps you at all nsloane, but good luck. Elon accepted me very quickly, so its not necessarily a bad or good thing.

weezer14

Postby weezer14 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:06 am

I applied to Elon on 2-23 and has been in committee review since 2-25. I dont know how competitive my application is: 2.53 GPA (graduated in 3 yrs), good softs, and a 156 LSAT (their 75%). I applied to Charlotte and got accepted within a week or so with scholarship money... Hopefully they weigh their LSAT more than UGPA

SouthBound

Postby SouthBound » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:31 pm

hey, how long did it take everyone to get a letter after their status checker changed to decision rendered?

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:18 pm

I got an email when I was accepted. Not sure if this is the norm, just what I got.

mountaineerlaw

Postby mountaineerlaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:17 am

I got an email the same day and got a letter about 3 days later.

I'm most likely going to Elon because of the scholarship I got. I fully believe the school will be completely accredited by the ABA at the end of the summer, considering their employment rates, pass rate on the bar, and their success in competition. Of course I have no idea if there are other criteria that go into the process, but it seems like those would have some bearing on it.

I'm also turning in the leadership fellows essays today, has anyone heard back from that process?

EmilyC.

Postby EmilyC. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:37 am

mountaineerlaw wrote:I got an email the same day and got a letter about 3 days later.

I'm most likely going to Elon because of the scholarship I got. I fully believe the school will be completely accredited by the ABA at the end of the summer, considering their employment rates, pass rate on the bar, and their success in competition. Of course I have no idea if there are other criteria that go into the process, but it seems like those would have some bearing on it.

I'm also turning in the leadership fellows essays today, has anyone heard back from that process?

Not yet. They offered $16000/yr in regular scholarship so if I am able to get both it might be worth it but with tuition at over 30K I don't really see how I can take on so much debt for a school that doesn't quite have a reputation yet.

NCcop2lawyer

Postby NCcop2lawyer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:28 pm

mountaineerlaw wrote:I'm also turning in the leadership fellows essays today, has anyone heard back from that process?

I submitted mine on 1/14. I have not heard a decision on it or my law school application. I did get an invitation to one of the speaking engagements, but was unable to attend due to the short notice.

MrMcAllister

Postby MrMcAllister » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:40 pm

I turned in my Leadership Fellows application on 3/25. Keep in mind that they will be reviewing the new essays along with the previous application to the law school, so it seems like they are considering all information that has been given to them in making this decision. Also, the meeting for prospective fellows is on 4/24 (if I recall correctly), so I would think it would take them maybe a week or two to decide which applicants will be selected as finalists for the interviews on the 24th. I doubt they would wait until the 23rd to email applicants to inform them of selection for the interview. Who knows how many people actually applied for the fellowship and whether or not they reviewed the applications as each one was sent in or whether or not they waited until all applications had been received to compare them.

Either way, I'm excited about the opportunities that Elon is presenting, and I really think this law school will be taking off over the next few years if they keep up the great things that they have started.

mountaineerlaw

Postby mountaineerlaw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:10 pm

MrMcAllister wrote:I turned in my Leadership Fellows application on 3/25. Keep in mind that they will be reviewing the new essays along with the previous application to the law school, so it seems like they are considering all information that has been given to them in making this decision. Also, the meeting for prospective fellows is on 4/24 (if I recall correctly), so I would think it would take them maybe a week or two to decide which applicants will be selected as finalists for the interviews on the 24th. I doubt they would wait until the 23rd to email applicants to inform them of selection for the interview. Who knows how many people actually applied for the fellowship and whether or not they reviewed the applications as each one was sent in or whether or not they waited until all applications had been received to compare them.

Either way, I'm excited about the opportunities that Elon is presenting, and I really think this law school will be taking off over the next few years if they keep up the great things that they have started.

The 24th is sticking out in my head as the date for the meeting also. Hopefully I'll be there.

I think that the opportunities that Elon is offering its students (including the Fellows program) will help build the foundation to a very strong law school.

weezer14

Postby weezer14 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:00 pm

Just in case anyone was interested I did get an acceptance email last week. So It took about a month from the time i completed my application

MrMcAllister

Postby MrMcAllister » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:54 pm

EmilyC. wrote:
mountaineerlaw wrote:I got an email the same day and got a letter about 3 days later.

Not yet. They offered $16000/yr in regular scholarship so if I am able to get both it might be worth it but with tuition at over 30K I don't really see how I can take on so much debt for a school that doesn't quite have a reputation yet.

I really encourage you to read more about what Elon offers. If you read the faculty bios, you'll see that many of them are from very distinguished schools and published experts. I would imagine that's typical of any law school, but what they offer students simply is not. Their preceptor program is a fantastic way to get direct experience working under an attorney and can help secure internships/jobs in summers or after graduation. It helps give students actual contacts in the legal field, shadowing experience, and work experience. The law school actually has a courtroom inside of it, which is pretty unique. The student organizations are comparable to other law schools, and the leadership fellows program allows students to meet first-hand with guests brought in by the law school (most recently Sandra Day O'Connor). Their employment rate for their first graduating class in this economy was right below 90% at 9 months, and their bar passage rate was comparable to other schools in the area.

Sure, they don't have much of a reputation...yet. But once lawyers and law schools in the area start to reflect on Elon's success in national moot court competitions, they might take it a bit more seriously. By the time the class of 2013 graduates, there will certainly be some successful firms with Elon graduates who will have shown the employers in those firms that they are serious lawyers. The network won't be nearly as big as that of UNC or Campbell, but it will be big enough to force employers to consider Elon graduates as legitmate employees.

I can see the reluctance, but you've got a half-tuition scholarship. If you've got an offer that is comparable to attend Campbell, I'd seriously suggest you think more about what the schools offer rather than their reputations. If you're considering other schools in NC that are cheaper, like Central, then it may be better for you go with the cheaper tuition with a comparable or slightly better reputation. But I would certainly place the quality of education and likelihood of an improved reputation at Elon above every law school in the state except Duke.

I guess it really comes down to wanting to be a person who develops the reputation of the quality of a school rather than riding on the reputation of another established institution. That's something that doesn't bother me, but I understand how it can be a serious concern. But if you're dedicated to being an exceptional student and practitioner of law, it really won't matter where you graduated from once you've been working for a few years. You can do exceptional work at a crappy firm if that's what it takes, and you've really got to think about just how far a school's reputation will assist in actually being offered a job and excelling at it. A reputation of a law shcool won't grant that excellence in itself, and a poor firm doesn't necessarily have to hinder it. Sometimes you just have to work for things, and no acceptable law school is going to make that easy.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”