Chances with 3.9 and 156

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alito08

Chances with 3.9 and 156

Postby alito08 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:27 pm

I am wondering what my chances are, and yes I have used lsac's range id'er, at the schools that I will be applying to. Here's my info:
Ethnicity: Mexican
GPA: 3.9
LSAT: 156

Reaches:
UNC
Madison Wis
SMU - night is ok
UConn
UF

Mids:
UTenn
Ole' Miss
UNM

Safties:
St. Mary's
Chapman

SpencerPratt

Re: Chances with 3.9 and 156

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:32 pm

Have you considered a re-take? Your GPA is great. If you can improve a few points on your LSAT, you should have a good shot at all of your reaches.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:34 pm

I agree with the above poster. I know taking a year or two off isn't always the most appealing thing to do, but it may the prudent move in the long run. A URM with a 160+ and a 3.9 would be a strong candidate.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:41 pm

alito08 wrote:I am wondering what my chances are, and yes I have used lsac's range id'er, at the schools that I will be applying to. Here's my info:
Ethnicity: Mexican
GPA: 3.9
LSAT: 156

Reaches:
UNC
Madison Wis
SMU - night is ok
UConn
UF

Mids:
UTenn
Ole' Miss
UNM

Safties:
St. Mary's
Chapman

I didn't look at your post past 3.9/156 + Mexican.

I would suggest applying to any and every school you may possibly want to attend at which your 3.9 is above a schools' 75th for GPA.

Don't be frightened by applying to tier one schools that have relatively higher LSAT medians.

I will say that you should retake.

However, you will get into a lot of T50 schools - if your applications are decent.

alito08

Postby alito08 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:00 am

Thanks for your comments, I should add that during my pts I pulled up from a low of 151 to a high of 158 - ty LG Bible. I also have decent softs ranging from VP/Treasurer of History Honors Soc, VP External Affairs, Congressional Intern, and Marriage Commisioner during the historic same sex marriage time period in CA. Due to my PT range, and many other obligations, I will probably not retake. So an honest opinion about my current stats would be appreciated.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:19 am

alito08 wrote:Thanks for your comments, I should add that during my pts I pulled up from a low of 151 to a high of 158 - ty LG Bible. I also have decent softs ranging from VP/Treasurer of History Honors Soc, VP External Affairs, Congressional Intern, and Marriage Commisioner during the historic same sex marriage time period in CA. Due to my PT range, and many other obligations, I will probably not retake. So an honest opinion about my current stats would be appreciated.

The problem is that URM cycles are notoriously hard to predict. That said, I think your GPA will attract several T30/T40 schools, not just Madison, UConn, and UNC. Request fee waivers and apply to all the schools that interest you, even if you are below their 25th LSAT percentile - there are relatively fewer URMs with scores above 160 in comparison to non-URMs, so a 156 isn't bad.

I just would like to mention that, with your GPA, if you were to break 160 you would be looking at lots of scholarship $$ from these schools. Something to consider, even if you're not aiming for the T14...

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:23 am

OneKnight wrote:
alito08 wrote:Thanks for your comments, I should add that during my pts I pulled up from a low of 151 to a high of 158 - ty LG Bible. I also have decent softs ranging from VP/Treasurer of History Honors Soc, VP External Affairs, Congressional Intern, and Marriage Commisioner during the historic same sex marriage time period in CA. Due to my PT range, and many other obligations, I will probably not retake. So an honest opinion about my current stats would be appreciated.

The problem is that URM cycles are notoriously hard to predict. That said, I think your GPA will attract several T30/T40 schools, not just Madison, UConn, and UNC. Request fee waivers and apply to all the schools that interest you, even if you are below their 25th LSAT percentile - there are relatively fewer URMs with scores above 160 in comparison to non-URMs, so a 156 isn't bad.

I just would like to mention that, with your GPA, if you were to break 160 you would be looking at lots of scholarship $$ from these schools. Something to consider, even if you're not aiming for the T14...

I am a Mexican male with similar stats and got decent scholarship offers to some of the schools you listed as reaches. I would just wait to see what you get, and reapply after retaking the LSAT if you're not satisfied.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:29 am

Mattalones wrote:
OneKnight wrote:

I am a Mexican male with similar stats and got decent scholarship offers to some of the schools you listed as reaches. I would just wait to see what you get, and reapply after retaking the LSAT if you're not satisfied.

+1

alito08

Postby alito08 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:36 pm

TY guys, super helpful information.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”