Where to live in St. Louis?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dvd

Where to live in St. Louis?

Postby dvd » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:19 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

skynet

Re: Where to live in St. Louis?

Postby skynet » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:33 pm

U city anywhere south of Delmar

Clayton if have some dough and like complete plainness

Central West End

In any case, bring a car.

Less expensive: Dogtown.

More of a drive, but my favorite neighborhood is Webster Groves.

sluguy14

Postby sluguy14 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:37 pm

I'd be hard pressed to recommend a better spot for law students (or grad students of any kind) than the central west end. It isn't cheap, but the whole area is bustling with grad students and young professionals. It's close enough to campus to make it (very) convenient, but far enough away to avoid the undergrad areas (and lifestyle). It's safe, sophisticated, and offers lots of of dining and entertainment options. Live here.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Good idea for a thread! How is the safety around campus? Are there any areas to avoid living around the area. I live near downtown LA and if you turn the wrong corner you can be in trouble.

cards06

Postby cards06 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Central West End or Downtown Clayton

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:57 pm

lol

slt

Postby slt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:17 am

How much are you willing to spend on rent + utilities, and how new would you like the apartment?

I can suggest a few places depending on the above two

dvd

Postby dvd » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:23 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:24 am

skynet wrote:U city anywhere south of Delmar

Huge fan of this area.

slt

Postby slt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:23 pm

dvd wrote:
slt wrote:How much are you willing to spend on rent + utilities, and how new would you like the apartment?

I can suggest a few places depending on the above two

Well, I think 1000 or 1100/mo is pretty reasonable, maybe up to 1200 w/ utilities. (I went to school in NYC, so I don't really know what St. Louis rents are like). Can I get something pretty good for that?

St. Louis rents are nothing compared to NYC.

For instance, I live in a 3 year old, two-story apartment with three bedrooms, two full baths, private laundry machines, full kitchen, and utilities included for around $400 a person.

If you want a nice place for around $1,100, I suggest looking at the Allegro in Brentwood, in front of the St. Louis Galleria mall, or the Brentwood Villas.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:38 pm

St. Louis is a pretty nice place as far as affording rent goes. A lot of the areas mentioned are older and will have older apartments. That being said, they are nice areas. They will not be absent of crime though.

JayCole

Postby JayCole » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:41 pm

University City (Delmar Loop or just south of Delmar on Big Bend) and Central West End.

End of discussion :)

DeurCorp51

Postby DeurCorp51 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:07 pm

I'd suggest looking at "The Corner Building" on Delmar and Skinker. The 1930s Art Deco building is owned by Quadrangle and was completely redone last year. The building also has private, secured parking and building entry. The building is limited to only Grad students and professors. My rent is around $950 for 1br/1ba and includes cable, internet, and washer/dryer. A few interior features include stainless steel appliances (all frigidaire), wood floors, silestone countertops, Washer and Dryer (Bosch), Toto Dual Flush Toilet, MOEN sinks and faucets... I must say that Wash U/Quadrangle did not hold back on this project.

http://www.liveonthecorner.com/

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:10 pm

DeurCorp51 wrote:I'd suggest looking at "The Corner Building" on Delmar and Skinker. The 1930s Art Deco building is owned by Quadrangle and was completely redone last year. The building also has private, secured parking and building entry. The building is limited to only Grad students and professors. My rent is around $950 for 1br/1ba and includes cable, internet, and washer/dryer. A few interior features include stainless steel appliances (all frigidaire), wood floors, silestone countertops, Washer and Dryer (Bosch), Toto Dual Flush Toilet, MOEN sinks and faucets... I must say that Wash U/Quadrangle did not hold back on this project.

How early should one apply for a unit in these apartments? Are they pretty much available anytime?

DeurCorp51

Postby DeurCorp51 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 pm

jman77 wrote:
DeurCorp51 wrote:I'd suggest looking at "The Corner Building" on Delmar and Skinker. The 1930s Art Deco building is owned by Quadrangle and was completely redone last year. The building also has private, secured parking and building entry. The building is limited to only Grad students and professors. My rent is around $950 for 1br/1ba and includes cable, internet, and washer/dryer. A few interior features include stainless steel appliances (all frigidaire), wood floors, silestone countertops, Washer and Dryer (Bosch), Toto Dual Flush Toilet, MOEN sinks and faucets... I must say that Wash U/Quadrangle did not hold back on this project.

How early should one apply for a unit in these apartments? Are they pretty much available anytime?

I would contact Quadrangle's lease staff directly now and remain in touch until there is an opening. Joy took care of my lease. Availability would depend on each person's lease terms, since they can range from 6 month, 9 month, or 1 year. I'd imagine that there would be some openings in the summer. The building has 16 units total.

justbluemyself

Postby justbluemyself » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:44 pm

I love South Grand, but it's location isn't great for Wash U. Still, it's reasonably priced, great places to eat, and a fun, diverse community. I have friends that go to Wash U and live in the area.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:57 pm

DeurCorp51 wrote:
jman77 wrote:

I would contact Quadrangle's lease staff directly now and remain in touch until there is an opening. Joy took care of my lease. Availability would depend on each person's lease terms, since they can range from 6 month, 9 month, or 1 year. I'd imagine that there would be some openings in the summer. The building has 16 units total.

That seems a tad on the high side for STL, but then again it's hard to beat that location.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
DeurCorp51 wrote:
jman77 wrote:

That seems a tad on the high side for STL, but then again it's hard to beat that location.

We have been looking at some nice 1-2 bedrooms near Wash U (Clayton, Dogtown, U City) for $850. I live in the most expensive part of Los Angeles and I cannot freaking believe how cheap rent is in St Louis. We pay over $1700 for what most people would consider a large closet (its close to the beach though :D ). COL is a huge pull for Wash U!

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:02 pm

jks289 wrote:
We have been looking at some nice 1-2 bedrooms near Wash U (Clayton, Dogtown, U City) for $850. I live in the most expensive part of Los Angeles and I cannot freaking believe how cheap rent is in St Louis. We pay over $1700 for what most people would consider a large closet (its close to the beach though :D ). COL is a huge pull for Wash U!

No doubt. I'm paying around $1900 for a 1-bd where I live. Getting a 2-bd for 50-70% of that sounds amazing.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:03 pm

DeurCorp51 wrote:
jman77 wrote:

I wish their website had actual photos of the community/units. Very intrigued by the prospect of getting a 1 BR/1 Bath for under $1K, though. I pay more than that for the studio I'm renting in Costa Mesa. Plus, location is a huge factor for me.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:06 pm

BTW, I'm not 100% set on WUSTL yet as I still have 16 schools to hear from. So far, however, WUSTL is the frontrunner. If I ask them to hold a unit for me now, I would assume I would have to pay some type of non-refundable deposit?

DeurCorp51

Postby DeurCorp51 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
DeurCorp51 wrote:
jman77 wrote:

True, that the price is higher compared other locations. What sold me was the location (short walking distance to bars & restaurants) and the new (redone) construction. Also, noise is NOT a issue at all: I need silence when I sleep, but here I can take a nap during rush hour.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:20 pm

DeurCorp51 wrote:
True, that the price is higher compared other locations. What sold me was the location (short walking distance to bars & restaurants) and the new (redone) construction. Also, noise is NOT a issue at all: I need silence when I sleep, but here I can take a nap during rush hour.

How do you get to campus? Bike, walk, drive, bus, ?

emanon27

Postby emanon27 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:21 pm

St. Louis has the most affordable housing in the country. If you are willing to find some roomates, there are places in U City (south of Delmar) that are like $1000 for 3 bedrooms.

Just to clarify, that's $1000 for all three people, NOT $1000 per person.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Also, there are some nice suburbs on the IL side if you don't mind a short 25 minute commute (Edwardsville is cheap and very nice).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”