YP at Michigan is DISGUSTING Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
addictedtobeinggreat

New

YP at Michigan is DISGUSTING

Post by addictedtobeinggreat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:51 pm

This is my first post. Honestly, I never felt like I had anything of value to add and this might not be an exception. However, today I got waitlisted at Michigan with an LSAT and gpa significantly above their 75th and I wrote the why Michigan essay (I have seen other posters saying the same thing today) and just want to communicate my belief that this illustrates what is wrong with law school admissions... I don't know if this reflects anything about the actual law school but I plan on withdrawing my application. I really liked Michigan, and even though I have already gotten into five schools ranked higher than Michigan, I was still seriously considering Michigan because rankings aren't all I care about (weird I know). But I refuse to continue pursuing a school that practices blatant YP.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Re: YP at Michigan is DISGUSTING

Post by tomhobbes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:54 pm

addictedtobeinggreat wrote:This is my first post. Honestly, I never felt like I had anything of value to add and this might not be an exception. However, today I got waitlisted at Michigan with an LSAT and gpa significantly above their 75th and I wrote the why Michigan essay (I have seen other posters saying the same thing today) and just want to communicate my belief that this illustrates what is wrong with law school admissions... I don't know if this reflects anything about the actual law school but I plan on withdrawing my application. I really liked Michigan, and even though I have already gotten into five schools ranked higher than Michigan, I was still seriously considering Michigan because rankings aren't all I care about (weird I know). But I refuse to continue pursuing a school that practices blatant YP.
I dunno man, based on what I see here (and your name) I'm inclined to take Michigan's side on this one.

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Did you write a diversity statement about your addiction?

JuanaB

New

Post by JuanaB » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:01 pm

+1

One more reason why I'm excited to be a Wolverine this Fall: douche bags like you won't be there.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:02 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
addictedtobeinggreat wrote:This is my first post. Honestly, I never felt like I had anything of value to add and this might not be an exception. However, today I got waitlisted at Michigan with an LSAT and gpa significantly above their 75th and I wrote the why Michigan essay (I have seen other posters saying the same thing today) and just want to communicate my belief that this illustrates what is wrong with law school admissions... I don't know if this reflects anything about the actual law school but I plan on withdrawing my application. I really liked Michigan, and even though I have already gotten into five schools ranked higher than Michigan, I was still seriously considering Michigan because rankings aren't all I care about (weird I know). But I refuse to continue pursuing a school that practices blatant YP.
I dunno man, based on what I see here (and your name) I'm inclined to take Michigan's side on this one.
tomhobbes has TCR.

/thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Michigan doesn't only care about rankings either. Your application likely had some other weakness. Did you submit very late? Recommender who unrecommended you? Somehow demonstrated a lack of fit for Mich? Poorly written or misguided "Why Michigan"? Sometimes "yield protection" might only be an excuse for Deans to waitlist numerically strong candidates that they don't like very much. Other Deans might like you a lot, in fact. Since you've gotten into five higher ranked schools, you don't have much to worry about.
Last edited by Reinhardt on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annarborbound

New

Post by annarborbound » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:09 pm

Your sense of entitlement oozes out of your post, and was probably fairly obvious in your application, too.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:11 pm

annarborbound wrote:Your sense of entitlement oozes out of your post, and was probably fairly obvious in your application, too.
:lol:

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:15 pm

YP exists for a reason.

If you really wanted to go there, you wouldn't be withdrawing.

I guess Michigan made the right decision with the YP, eh?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Maybe your recommenders stabbed you in the back?

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:18 pm

is this you?

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/addctedtoglove32

similar name to your TLS and got waitlisted today. Just curious.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:20 pm

http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestu ... s/faq.aspx

"If my numbers are above your medians and you don’t admit me, doesn't that mean that you're "yield protecting"? I.e., you didn't admit me because you're sure I wouldn't come?
Such questions deeply underestimate the confidence of this Admissions Office, which tends to assume that everyone who is admitted to Michigan Law will want to come to Michigan Law. Okay, okay, we know – not everyone comes, and people who are admitted to lots of other top law schools are the ones least likely to come. But if this yield-protection allegation were true, then we’d be implementing our nefarious plans very poorly; every year, the school with which we have the highest overlap for admitted candidates is Harvard.We never deny someone because we think, by virtue of their LSAT and GPA, that they will be unlikely to accept our offer of admission. Most people with high numbers will be offered admission – but it is also true that people with very strong numbers will often not be admitted. Like all top law schools, we simply receive far more applications from prospective students with high numbers than we could possibly admit – and we look at many, many factors apart from the numbers. No matter how strong a candidate you are numerically, it is worth putting effort into your application to ensure that you are portraying yourself as well as possible."
-Michigan Law FAQs

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:23 pm

ViP wrote:YP exists for a reason.

If you really wanted to go there, you wouldn't be withdrawing.

I guess Michigan made the right decision with the YP, eh?

Ignore all these tools that call you entitled. They are just argumentative for the sake of being that way. In reality though, schools do this because they think you will not attend. One of two things happened to you. Either they really didn't think your app was that great, but unlikely if you have gotten in everywhere else, or they didn't believe your "why mich?" essay was sincere enough. Rather then withdraw, you should write a strong LOCI saying what you just told us, see if anyone else gives you money, use that as leverage against them and work your way to where you want to be. Might work, might not, but don't not consider a school because they waitlisted you instead of admitting you. Or do, I don't care in the end, I just feel if you wanted to go then that's what you could do.

Edited: because I felt like making small additions.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:26 pm

Reinhardt wrote:Michigan doesn't only care about rankings either. Your application likely had some other weakness. Did you submit very late? Recommender who unrecommended you? Somehow demonstrated a lack of fit for Mich? Poorly written or misguided "Why Michigan"? Sometimes "yield protection" might only be an excuse for Deans to waitlist numerically strong candidates that they don't like very much. Other Deans might like you a lot, in fact. Since you've gotten into five higher ranked schools, you don't have much to worry about.
I don't really believe this. Maybe this is the case for a few applicants, but if you have a 3.6-3.8 GPA, a 169-170 has a much better chance than a 171-173.

I wrote a Why Michigan that I thought wasn't terrible, and I got YPd.

Not to complain. I am really happy with how my cycle is going, but I would have considered Michigan. I'm from the Midwest and like it there and I think a UM degree is one of the most versatile, in terms of playing well in numerous markets.

rikkitikki

New

Post by rikkitikki » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:27 pm

This is my first post. Honestly, I never felt like I had anything of value to add and this might not be an exception. However, today I read a post by a whiny jerk who was upset that a school that they thought they were too good for rejected them. It's kind of like the fat girl who turns down the jock because she actually cares about personality. And the dumb jock gets a quizzical look on his face, shrugs his shoulders, and concludes, "Huh, must be a lesbian."

This is the sound of the worlds smallest violin playing for you on an internet forum....

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:28 pm

booboo wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
tomhobbes has TCR.

/thread.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:28 pm

I know OP came off as a self-entitled prick (especially with the name), but he states a valid point. I consider a TLSer like GeePee to be a pretty darn good applicant. He's got acceptances to many higher ranked schools so there is clearly nothing glaringly wrong with the application. He also wrote a Why Michigan and claims to have showed a lot of sincere interest in attending. He also doesn't come off as a douche in his posts. Nevertheless, he got a waitlist at Michigan. There's no question they're engaging in some type of YP.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:32 pm

ibtl

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:33 pm

YP is a seriously overrated complaint.

ArthurEdens

New

Post by ArthurEdens » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:33 pm

OP, if your numbers are really that high then you would be one of the first they'll take from the WL. Send in a LOCI and earnestly describe your interest in Michigan. If you're really this broken up about it, I'd cool off and wait until you aren't angry. Complaining won't help your chances.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:34 pm

sundevil77 wrote:I know OP came off as a self-entitled prick (especially with the name), but he states a valid point. I consider a TLSer like GeePee to be a pretty darn good applicant. He's got acceptances to many higher ranked schools so there is clearly nothing glaringly wrong with the application. He also wrote a Why Michigan and claims to have showed a lot of sincere interest in attending. He also doesn't come off as a douche in his posts. Nevertheless, he got a waitlist at Michigan. There's no question they're engaging in some type of YP.
So then what accounts for them taking people who have numbers like 176/3.95 and 177/3.8, who were both accepted on LSN? Do you think they just indiscriminately YP random people for the hell of it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:35 pm

sundevil77 wrote:I know OP came off as a self-entitled prick (especially with the name), but he states a valid point. I consider a TLSer like GeePee to be a pretty darn good applicant. He's got acceptances to many higher ranked schools so there is clearly nothing glaringly wrong with the application. He also wrote a Why Michigan and claims to have showed a lot of sincere interest in attending. He also doesn't come off as a douche in his posts. Nevertheless, he got a waitlist at Michigan. There's no question they're engaging in some type of YP.
I'm inclined to take Michigan's side on this one. Not on every one. I think some of this waitlisting might have been yield protection, and some of that yield protection might have been poorly thought out, but this particular guy clearly had his waitlist coming.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:36 pm

I have numbers >75%, didn't write a "why Michigan" essay, applied late, and was admitted.

There's something else about your application that spooked them. . .

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:36 pm

:roll:

it's dramatized because pretty much all the WLs came out today. If this happened over the period of the cycle there would no be so many people up in arms.

1) get over yourself
2) take the effort you're putting into being angry online and focus it into a LOCI

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
So then what accounts for them taking people who have numbers like 176/3.95 and 177/3.8, who were both accepted on LSN? Do you think they just indiscriminately YP random people for the hell of it?

I don't completely disagree with your sentiments, but if a candidate like that says "I will definatley come to Mich if I get in", or demonstrates a need to be in Mich (SO or something), then they wouldn't need to consider YP'ing. That could explain those admits, but again, I am not saying this is the case.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”