Michigan 2010 Waitlist Only!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
danidancer

Re: Michigan 2010 Waitlist Only!

Postby danidancer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:48 pm

IAFG wrote:
danidancer wrote:Just withdrew. Far too far along in the process at Cornell to up and switch to Michigan at the 11th hour. Sigh.

what the hell?!

???

I mean I withdrew myself from the WL...

DOOM

Postby DOOM » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:48 pm

michigandrew wrote:Waitlist site updated:

Tuesday, June 15, was our second deposit deadline. When the dust had cleared, and we’d finished pestering everyone from whom we hadn’t heard, we concluded that we are not in a position to make any waitlist offers at this time; we remain fully enrolled. While it’s quite possible that things will change later in the summer, because of unexpected deferral requests or waitlist activity at other schools, experience from past years tells us that it is not reasonable to expect that there will be any significant changes within the next couple of weeks. Therefore, next week, we will again undertake the difficult process of paring the waitlist down even further than we already have. People from whom we haven’t heard, or people who have told us that they will only be able to accept offers through June, will receive letters letting them know they’ve been released.

:(

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:49 pm

danidancer wrote:
IAFG wrote:
danidancer wrote:Just withdrew. Far too far along in the process at Cornell to up and switch to Michigan at the 11th hour. Sigh.

what the hell?!

???

i thought Mich was like, your first love, and it's still June, confused why you would do this

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:56 pm

IAFG wrote:
danidancer wrote:
IAFG wrote:

what the hell?!

???

i thought Mich was like, your first love, and it's still June, confused why you would do this

Oh. It still is. :( I've just had a couple of family emergencies come up this week, so with the rest of my life turned upside down, I really can't handle having law school being up in the air too. I've also recently made the big announcement at work, am ready to sign a lease in Ithaca, etc etc... I was never going to be able to pick up and move in August anyway - July 1 was always going to be the cutoff. The various "crises" of this week only moved that date up by a couple of weeks. Don't get me wrong, I'm really sad I won't be going to Mich, but the confluence everything going on this week made me realize I'd passed the point of no return. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to transfer next year? :)

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:03 pm

fair enough.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:45 pm

This isn´t good for us :( , we should petition Mich to let us sit in the aisles of class to make for more spots!

Prime12

Postby Prime12 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:50 pm

oh well, I just hope I survive the next waitlist cut.........

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Prime12 wrote:oh well, I just hope I survive the next waitlist cut.........

sounds like they plan to cut people who said they couldn't wait first. patience definitely pays off in the WL game.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:20 am

fun fact i just found out: Professor Krier who teaches a 1L property course is the father of Andrew W.K. The K in "W.K" stands for Krier. fact.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:26 pm

It seems like most of the T-14 is overenrolled, does anyone have any uplifting anecdotes that might suggest SOME chance for the waitlist?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:36 pm

DOOM wrote:
michigandrew wrote:Waitlist site updated:

Tuesday, June 15, was our second deposit deadline. When the dust had cleared, and we’d finished pestering everyone from whom we hadn’t heard, we concluded that we are not in a position to make any waitlist offers at this time; we remain fully enrolled. While it’s quite possible that things will change later in the summer, because of unexpected deferral requests or waitlist activity at other schools, experience from past years tells us that it is not reasonable to expect that there will be any significant changes within the next couple of weeks. Therefore, next week, we will again undertake the difficult process of paring the waitlist down even further than we already have. People from whom we haven’t heard, or people who have told us that they will only be able to accept offers through June, will receive letters letting them know they’ve been released.

:(
Worst. WL. Year. Ever. By extension, worst year to be a splitter ever. I take that back. Being a splitter's never a good (or even neutral) thing :x

michigandrew

Postby michigandrew » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:02 pm

Anyone from this thread released this week?

mb88

Postby mb88 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:16 pm

michigandrew wrote:Anyone from this thread released this week?

Not me. I told them quite specifically that I needed a decision by the end of June, and despite what they posted about no spaces on the waitlist, they haven't yet gotten back to me.

VerdiShmerdi

Postby VerdiShmerdi » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:06 pm

Anyone have an idea of the number of people on the waitlist? I am too lazy/frightened to call admissions and ask.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:09 pm

mb88 wrote:

Not me. I told them quite specifically that I needed a decision by the end of June, and despite what they posted about no spaces on the waitlist, they haven't yet gotten back to me.

Dean Z doesn't like to do stuff like that before holidays. I'd bet people hear next week. During Christmas, she personally e-mailed anyone admitted so they wouldn't see the status change and worry...and waited to change anyone's status or notify them until after Christmas.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:48 am

blowhard wrote:
mb88 wrote:

Dean Z doesn't like to do stuff like that before holidays. I'd bet people hear next week. During Christmas, she personally e-mailed anyone admitted so they wouldn't see the status change and worry...and waited to change anyone's status or notify them until after Christmas.

That is thoughtful of her, I <3 this admissions office.

michigandrew

Postby michigandrew » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:56 am

Ditto! Although the WL process is stressful, Michigan's admissions staff make it a bit easier on us, I think.

elmo123

Postby elmo123 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Teoeo wrote:
blowhard wrote:
mb88 wrote:

That is thoughtful of her, I <3 this admissions office.

+1

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:57 am

Nothing to report? I think the situation is mighty bleak for all of us.

michigandrew

Postby michigandrew » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:01 am

WL website updated:

In the couple of weeks following our June 15 second deposit deadline, we’ve had only minimal “summer melt”—i.e., people who let us know that for one reason or another, they are not able to join us this fall. We therefore remain in a holding pattern with the waitlist; we are not currently making any offers, and are releasing on a rolling basis the people who have told us they don’t want to be considered past a particular date. The waitlist is now very, very small.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:04 am

michigandrew wrote:WL website updated:

In the couple of weeks following our June 15 second deposit deadline, we’ve had only minimal “summer melt”—i.e., people who let us know that for one reason or another, they are not able to join us this fall. We therefore remain in a holding pattern with the waitlist; we are not currently making any offers, and are releasing on a rolling basis the people who have told us they don’t want to be considered past a particular date. The waitlist is now very, very small.

I wonder how small is "very, very small" A few hundred? Less than a hundred? A couple dozen? Just me and michiganandrew?

michigandrew

Postby michigandrew » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:09 am

I'm wondering that as well.

I remember back in June when they said they had it narrowed down to a "small core" of interested candidates, and yet it seemed like pretty much everyone here was in that group.

edit: I would hope it's fewer than twenty, but who knows. I understand, though, that they have to account for the likelihood of WLers dropping off or losing interest as the semester approaches.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:26 am

romothesavior wrote:
michigandrew wrote:WL website updated:

I wonder how small is "very, very small" A few hundred? Less than a hundred? A couple dozen? Just me and michiganandrew?

im still hangin on by a thread as well, not sure how. also a girl i used to tutor told me shes on the waitlist too. Knowing both her and my stats, either they are looking well past numbers or they havent pared down the list too much yet

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:28 am

i would assume some of the july cuts start this week... any one with news?

also michigan.... i want to be on you.....i want to be on you

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:40 am

Hey guys, I am still here, we got this :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”