As we enter June and our second deposit deadline approaches, we at Michigan have released many of the candidates who agreed to participate in our waitlist, and so we have just a few strong candidates remaining: you are one of them. While we made only a handful of offers in May, and currently have a full class, it is hard to predict what our June 15 second deposit deadline will bring. We expect this to be an unusually volatile summer because of the waitlist activity of other schools, and therefore anticipate that some people who are currently enrolled will have made other plans and decline to submit the second deposit. I am writing now, therefore, to assess your interest in remaining on the waiting list.
If you are sure you are no longer willing to consider an offer, I would be very grateful if you would let me know by responding to this email.
If, on the other hand, you are still willing to consider a offer, it would be wonderful if you could let me know the extent of your interest. That is, would you be willing to consider an offer made before the end of June, but not after that? Or until the end of July? Or would you be willing to consider an offer even at the end of August? Or are you somewhere in between? Is your acceptance dependent on some factor other than timing, like financial aid? Any information you can provide at this point would be very helpful.
Whatever your decision about the waitlist, I would like to thank you for having participated in this necessary, but difficult, phase of our admissions process. You are a great candidate, and we appreciate your interest in Michigan.
Sarah C. Zearfoss
Assistant Dean and Director of Admissions
The University of Michigan Law School
726 Oakland Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48104