Michigan 2010 Waitlist Only! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DOOM

Bronze

Re: Michigan 2010 Waitlist Only!

Post by DOOM » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:59 am

got it too. (seems like a LOT of people did. so much for a "very small group of strong candidates")

thinking about it. this seems like an interesting question to ask of us. kind of a double-edged sword.

if michigan is your top choice, saying you will wait til orientation might give them the impression that they can take you for a ride if need be. "this one is willing to wait, let's hold him until we are really desperate"

but saying you will only wait til end of june, does it mean they will release you after July 1st? you might lose out on opportunities that might come up later in the summer. though my impression is that most, if any, of the movement will happen in June.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Did anyone here get released? It seems like a lot of people are being kept on the waitlist.

DOOM

Bronze

Post by DOOM » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:Did anyone here get released? It seems like a lot of people are being kept on the waitlist.
haha. i agree. although im sure those of us posting in this thread are all people who very seriously want michigan. we all probably have competitive numbers, sent strong LOCIs, and believe that michigan is enough of a personal upgrade from our current deposited school to warrant the wait/switching costs.

there could have been a large number of candidates released, all of whom don't care enough, and probably arent following this thread to begin with.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:07 pm

DOOM wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Did anyone here get released? It seems like a lot of people are being kept on the waitlist.
haha. i agree. although im sure those of us posting in this thread are all people who very seriously want michigan. we all probably have competitive numbers, sent strong LOCIs, and believe that michigan is enough of a personal upgrade from our current deposited school to warrant the wait/switching costs.

there could have been a large number of candidates released, all of whom don't care enough, and probably arent following this thread to begin with.
+1, this is likely an unrepresentative sample.

maximus32

New

Post by maximus32 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:08 pm

I got it as well. Yeah I suppose "a few strong candidates remaining" is a relative term.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fergie

New

Post by Fergie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:58 pm

damn - i was feeling so special. but i got it too - and immediatly sent in my response. Still there must be some who didn't get it???

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Has Mich taken anyone off the WL yet? I'm wondering if they're looking for LSATs or GPAs...

GoGators2822

New

Post by GoGators2822 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:04 pm

I got it too.
Last edited by GoGators2822 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jrugg88

New

Post by Jrugg88 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:12 pm

I got it too.

Doesn't seem like a "very small" group... alas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Older Chest

Bronze

Post by Older Chest » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:25 pm

I received the email too.

Whether it is true or not that only a small group of applicants are still on the waitlist, I will continue to (naively) believe that this thread is an unrepresentative sample.

vertigo959

New

Post by vertigo959 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:37 pm

I received the e-mail as well.

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Got it too.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm starting to think the entire world got this email today, and that the way we answer will have greatly influence how they treat our apps. I think they're very clearly looking for people to eliminate themselves from the WL in some way. SIGH.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:07 pm

danidancer wrote:I'm starting to think the entire world got this email today, and that the way we answer will have greatly influence how they treat our apps. I think they're very clearly looking for people to eliminate themselves from the WL in some way. SIGH.
i would definitely write them some "why mich" bits in your response

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:10 pm

danidancer wrote:I'm starting to think the entire world got this email today, and that the way we answer will have greatly influence how they treat our apps. I think they're very clearly looking for people to eliminate themselves from the WL in some way. SIGH.
Sure hope "guarded and vague" is the attitude they're looking for. *fingers crossed*

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:16 pm

IAFG wrote:
I've sent 4 LOCIs already, the last one just a few weeks ago basically begging and pleading and selling my future children's soul's to the devil. They know I want to go there.

dubsky

New

Post by dubsky » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:07 pm

yay emails !

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:15 pm

danidancer wrote:
IAFG wrote:
I've sent 4 LOCIs already, the last one just a few weeks ago basically begging and pleading and selling my future children's soul's to the devil. They know I want to go there.
yeah i meant more generally

i wrote them a pretty cold matter-of-fact one. i probably could have been zing-ier

shuttlesworth

New

Post by shuttlesworth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:42 am

Seriously, did anyone her not get this email?

nesnejnes06

New

Post by nesnejnes06 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:51 pm

shuttlesworth wrote:Seriously, did anyone her not get this email?
as i understand it, the waitlist drops were sent out via snail mail. if this is true, then it makes sense that the only people posting so far would be people who got the email...

BlankC

New

Post by BlankC » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:08 pm

lawschoollll wrote:Has Mich taken anyone off the WL yet? I'm wondering if they're looking for LSATs or GPAs...
I got in off the waitlist by via a strange phone call on May 25th, similar to the calls other TLSers reported getting, in which they were vaguely asked about their interest level in Mich.

I had no idea where the admissions lady was going with the call, because she started by saying "we're not really making offers," but then talked about how much they liked my LOCI, asked me if I was still interested in Mich, and then told me I was in when I vomited the content of my LOCI all over her ears out of nervousness and desperation.

"Not really making offers" what??? :shock:

After I hung up, I thought maybe it was some kind of satanic practical joke, but I got the mailed materials a bit later. I was too scared that they'd out me due to the scarcity of their offers and decide I didn't love them enough to post the full thing on TLS until I got Mich's physical packet.

Bottom line: If you get a call from Michigan, tell them how much you LOVE their law school FOREVER.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:11 pm

BlankC wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:Has Mich taken anyone off the WL yet? I'm wondering if they're looking for LSATs or GPAs...
I got in off the waitlist by via a strange phone call on May 25th, similar to the calls other TLSers reported getting, in which they were vaguely asked about their interest level in Mich.

I had no idea where the admissions lady was going with the call, because she started by saying "we're not really making offers," but then talked about how much they liked my LOCI, asked me if I was still interested in Mich, and then told me I was in when I vomited the content of my LOCI all over her ears out of nervousness and desperation.

"Not really making offers" what??? :shock:

After I hung up, I thought maybe it was some kind of satanic practical joke, but I got the mailed materials a bit later. I was too scared that they'd out me due to the scarcity of their offers and decide I didn't love them enough to post the full thing on TLS until I got Mich's physical packet.

Bottom line: If you get a call from Michigan, tell them how much you LOVE their law school FOREVER.
Congrats... great story. Hopefully some more of us will get a call like that soon.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:59 am

o_O LET ME IN plleeeeeaassseeee

vertigo959

New

Post by vertigo959 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:13 am

Congratulations BlankC :mrgreen:

calgal17

Bronze