Question about LOR

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
msesquire2b

Question about LOR

Postby msesquire2b » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:48 am

Do law school admission councils care if you have and LOR from someone in public office? I'm not talking about from the President. But I know the Deputy Attorney General in NJ, and was going to get a letter from her. Do they look favorably upon these types of letters?

autarkh

Re: Question about LOR

Postby autarkh » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:37 am

If they actually know you and can speak convincingly in your favor, I can't imagine that it wouldn't be good.

It would be better to get a genuine letter from a TA, though, than a generic letter from a public figure you've met once.

msesquire2b

Postby msesquire2b » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:40 am

autarkh wrote:If they actually know you and can speak convincingly in your favor, I can't imagine that it wouldn't be good.

It would be better to get a genuine letter from a TA, though, than a generic letter from a public figure you've met once.

Not a generic figure I met once. I've known since I was younger, I know her on a personal level. However, I have never worked with her.

AsylumPB

Postby AsylumPB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:44 am

As long as its not a generic "I know John Doe and he would be an excellent student" letter, then it might be a good choice for an LOR. I would be cautious though, because most likely, she will be busy and have an assistant write the letter.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”