Drexel -- Philadelphia area in general

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PortlandOregonian

Drexel -- Philadelphia area in general

Postby PortlandOregonian » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:27 pm

I recently got accepted to Drexel, and offered a lot of money. In a lot of ways, this seems like a great offer. From an outsider's point of view, Philadelphia seems like a huge, exciting, and important city, at the crossroads of lots of commerce and law, and close to everything. I am from Portland, Oregon; a beautiful city that I love, but that I feel might be too small and peripheral to make an interesting law career. On the other hand, I have practically never been to Philadelphia. The Drexel program also to me seems like a great risk: the school is new and unranked, but I have a gut feeling that they are doing everything right, and that the school has a great future. But, I don't know. I also applied to six other schools, University of Denver, Case Western, Vermont Law School, Penn State, University of Oregon, and Willamette. So far, I haven't been rejected by anybody yet, and feel like I might get in everywhere, but so far have only been accepted to Denver and Case Western. Anyway, hopefully this will seem like an interesting start to a conversation to somebody out there.

MURPH

Re: Drexel -- Philadelphia area in general

Postby MURPH » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:05 pm

If you want to live in Philly, apply to Villanova and Temple too. You are taking a big risk by going to Drexel but since they are offering you money it is not too bad. Keep in mind that you will have to work twice as hard to secure a job upon graduation since they have no alumni network and no reputation.

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:12 pm

oh you said the D word, prepare to receive hell.

In all seriousness, I too was accepted at Drexel with a very generous scholarship. I am not from Philly either but have visited enough times to know what I'm getting into. The co-op program and huge undergrad alumni network give me a good feeling about the school. like you said, Drexel is making all the right moves. Personally, I'm excited about the school but don't expect to find many others on this board that will tell you to go there.

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:18 pm

i'd be cautious about this. not because i dislike drexel (i applied there too and got an awesome scholarship) but for your particular case, coming from portland to philly would be a huge change. make sure you actually like the city and the people in it because if you go to drexel you're basically going to spend at least the next 10 years there. i personally love the city and the people, but i lived in NJ for a long time and my whole family is from philly, so i'm used to it. but for someone from the pacific northwest who has pretty much never spent time in the city, it's going to be a huge change.

PortlandOregonian

Postby PortlandOregonian » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:16 pm

i'd be cautious about this. not because i dislike drexel (i applied there too and got an awesome scholarship) but for your particular case, coming from portland to philly would be a huge change. make sure you actually like the city and the people in it because if you go to drexel you're basically going to spend at least the next 10 years there. i personally love the city and the people, but i lived in NJ for a long time and my whole family is from philly, so i'm used to it. but for someone from the pacific northwest who has pretty much never spent time in the city, it's going to be a huge change.

I guess this is probably the biggest thing that interests me. Everyone keeps saying things like this -- but how? I mean, how is Philly, and I guess the east coast, so different? I know that's a big question, but I am really interested on your take.

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:45 pm

PortlandOregonian wrote:

I guess this is probably the biggest thing that interests me. Everyone keeps saying things like this -- but how? I mean, how is Philly, and I guess the east coast, so different? I know that's a big question, but I am really interested on your take.

having never been to oregon, i can't really speak to specifics but i'll give you my reasoning. i lived in NJ for about 18 years and then moved to florida. i thought i'd love the weather and the golf and whatnot, but it was really more of a culture shock than anything. everything moved at about 1/4 the pace as it does up here, there was nothing to do, and everything and everyone down there just struck me as being "backward" for lack of a better term. if you grew up there, i'm sure it would seem completely normal, but it was not for me. the point is, i never visited, i just kind of read about it and figured i could adjust to it, and i honestly couldn't.

if you're looking at drexel, you absolutely NEED to spend some time in philly before you make that choice. you're more than likely going to spend a decade+ living in a big city full of big time attitudes and what i imagine is a much faster pace than oregon. there's a lot of fun to be had, and there's really not many other places i would rather live than the PA/NJ area, but just be warned that the people and the lifestyle is going to be a lot different and a lot less forgiving.

who knows, it could be a perfect fit for you and you could end up loving it, but if it was me, i would most definitely move to philly for a year or so before deciding on going to school there. give it some time, decide if that's where you want to settle down, and by then you should have a life, friends, and some connections to help you out. you should also establish residency, giving you a better shot at admission to a school like temple, plus in state tuition.

anyway, take this for what you will. just my opinion and what i would do. whatever you decide, best of luck!

arundodonax

Postby arundodonax » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:40 pm

If you were looking at a school in Philly like Villanova, Temple or Rutgers Camden, I would say consider it - simply because while it would be more difficult to get a job back in the PNW if you wanted, it's totally doable. In fact, look up some large firms in the PNW and you'll see a few Rutgers/Nova/Temple grads. While Drexel has a very strong UG alumni base, they are just establishing their reputation with the Philly law community.

Scenario: Lets say you wanted to return home after law school? You're the hiring attorney. Do you hire someone from:
-A local/top tier grad

- An unknown school (Nova/Temple/Camden) - but its got a T2 USNWR ranking with grads around the country, or maybe in an another regional office in your firm.

- An unranked school with only a few classes of grads, and close to 0 law alumni outside of Philly.

Why would they select your application for an interview? How would he know the quality of your legal education? He wouldn't. He would only know what kind of interviewee you are. While the Philly law community will come to know Drexel in the next few years, it is a much larger risk for a firm with no baseline from which to judge your education.

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:19 am

any chance you can just take a week to visit the city? this alone will give you a better idea of what your looking at.

any of you other folks planning on going to drexel?

PortlandOregonian

Postby PortlandOregonian » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:46 am

I agree that the thing to do would be to go visit the city. That actually could be kind of difficult for me, but seems important. I guess in the end, I am kind of skeptical that one city is all that different from any other city.

mugwump

Postby mugwump » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:07 am

PortlandOregonian wrote:I agree that the thing to do would be to go visit the city. That actually could be kind of difficult for me, but seems important. I guess in the end, I am kind of skeptical that one city is all that different from any other city.

As a former resident of both Philadelphia and Portland, I'd advise you to take stock in the advice that's being offered...living in Philadelphia or any large blue collar East Coast or Mid-West city (e.g. Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland) is significantly different than living in Portland. Before casting your lot to attend Drexel, make time to visit Philly, especially during this time of the year...you'll probably leave with a greater appreciation of life in Portland. But, if coming east is what you truly want, check out the University of Pittsburgh...still can have an East Coast urban experience with the rough and grimy edges but not quite to the degree of Philadelphia.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”