Which Field of Law...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sotomayor

Which Field of Law...

Postby sotomayor » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:32 pm

...is most conducive to an entertaining lifestyle. It can't all be mundane and some lawyers out there have to be loving life because of their jobs. Anyone have any idea? (don't say the field where they make the most money because thats clearly number 1)

foxyeconomist

Re: Which Field of Law...

Postby foxyeconomist » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:35 pm

Maybe you should post this in a different category, like say, one that 1L's, professors, or admissions officers might check. Realistically though, you should be asking lawyers. You can probably call any number of local law firms to get an informational interview.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:43 pm

sotomayor wrote:...is most conducive to an entertaining lifestyle. It can't all be mundane and some lawyers out there have to be loving life because of their jobs. Anyone have any idea? (don't say the field where they make the most money because thats clearly number 1)

Move to California or Colorado, and get an in-house counsel job with a large medical marijuana dispensary. Follow?

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:04 pm

I think agents lead a decent lifestyle. Clearly, the hours are many and the stress is intense, but they make bank (the good ones anyway) and hobnob with celebrities at pretty sweet parties.

86revolt

Postby 86revolt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:08 pm

David Kleinfield (sean penn in carlito's way) seemed to have a lot of fun....before he got shot by a gangster. i always wanted to be a mafia lawyer...

ArthurEdens

Postby ArthurEdens » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:11 pm

I wouldn't become a lawyer in order to be entertained by your work. That being said, government or in-house counsel positions are probably less stressful than most. If you want entertainment, become the next John Grisham. Someone has to supplant him eventually with predictable, assembly-line legal thrillers.

The above post also reminded me of Oscar Goodman, the mayor of Las Vegas. He had some interesting clients, to say the least.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:19 pm

86revolt wrote:David Kleinfield (sean penn in carlito's way) seemed to have a lot of fun....before he got shot by a gangster. i always wanted to be a mafia lawyer...

That killed me. Although I'm not sure his life qualified as "not stressful"

I cant wait for the post titled "DKleinfeld212 - Need Addendum Help!!!1!"

sotomayor

Postby sotomayor » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:24 pm

[quote="ArthurEdens"]I wouldn't become a lawyer in order to be entertained by your work.

really? you really feel this way? is the general consensus that we have to lease our souls to the devil for a while and just take it in the chocolate starfish. i'm just asking because i feel part of life is enjoying what it is you do. I'm not suffering from buyer's remorse or anything I'm just looking for an answer. So what would you say, that the overwhelming majority of lawyers are dissatisfied with the subject of their occupation and are solely motivated by ballooning bank accounts? Please someone say it ain't so.

I understand that in the legal field there certainly is a trade-off between idealism and a beach house. But there certainly has to be some field of law where one can preserve their genuine happiness and make bank.

86revolt

Postby 86revolt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:28 pm

ArthurEdens wrote:I wouldn't become a lawyer in order to be entertained by your work. That being said, government or in-house counsel positions are probably less stressful than most. If you want entertainment, become the next John Grisham. Someone has to supplant him eventually with predictable, assembly-line legal thrillers.

The above post also reminded me of Oscar Goodman, the mayor of Las Vegas. He had some interesting clients, to say the least.

Goodman is a legend!! and to think that he actually made it alive out of his nascent lawyering days to become the least effective public official in the country! think he'll ever get that martini out of Obama? i mean if the Boston cop did, why not Goodman?! DOUBLE STANDARDS!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”