the waiting is slowly killing me

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
seriously
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:21 am

the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby seriously » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:24 pm

i understand my numbers are not top.


Law Schools,
Just let me know if you want me instead of putting me in limbo.

:|

rodewan
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby rodewan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:25 pm

seriously, just wanna get on w/ life

slenslee
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby slenslee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:26 pm

((((())))))

pantherfan
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby pantherfan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:28 pm

who you waiting for?

seriously
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:21 am

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby seriously » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:39 pm

slenslee wrote:((((())))))


what's that mean?

User avatar
Tweek
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:34 am

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby Tweek » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Realized yesterday that it's been 10 months since I started studying for the LSAT. Seriously too long; can't wait for it to be over.

kayame
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:21 am

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby kayame » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:41 am

Yeah, I hear ya. I applied late in the cycle too. Totally feel like I just shot my own foot. :(

User avatar
tadams86
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:01 pm

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby tadams86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:54 am

+1

User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:01 am

seriously wrote:i understand my numbers are not top.


Law Schools,
Just let me know if you want me instead of putting me in limbo.

:|


I feel your pain (really, I do)... but you have not even begun to know what waiting is. It is still only February. If you're aiming at or waiting on reaches, well, you usually don't get those in February (or for that matter, March). If they have not rejected you, however, that's a good thing.

Last year I rode out 8-10 waitlists. I have another friend who rode out 10-12 waitlists. I got into one "good fit" and one "safety" in December. Then I waited until April before getting into another school at all (a reach), and then until July before getting into the school I'm at now (also a reach).

I understand that not everyone actually CAN afford to wait it out, especially the way I did, due to personal constraints. But you also cannot let it get to you. Just be flexible and go with the flow. Think of it as a journey. And if a school has not let you know anything, that's not always bad. If it has been too long, you can send a short email restating your interest... but don't do any big LOCIs until you're at least waitlisted.

Good luck with it and hang in there.

-You Gotta Have Faith

romanholiday
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:04 am

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby romanholiday » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:21 am

Then I waited until April before getting into another school at all (a reach), and then until July before getting into the school I'm at now (also a reach).


Wow, that's pretty impressive. I would be a nervous wreck if I end up having to wait that long =/

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:11 am

I'm already dead. The problem with having 20 friends in the same apartment complex as you, is that you hear the question "anything from Vandy today?" 20 times a day, and it has sucked the life out of my final semester of college, which I should be enjoying, but i'm not for this sole reason.

User avatar
hotdog123
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby hotdog123 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:09 am

I am dug in for the long haul... prepared to wait until practically May, or even June, to find out where I'm headed.

Image

User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:19 am

adh07d wrote:I'm already dead. The problem with having 20 friends in the same apartment complex as you, is that you hear the question "anything from Vandy today?" 20 times a day, and it has sucked the life out of my final semester of college, which I should be enjoying, but i'm not for this sole reason.


That's why I didn't even tell my parents or friends all the places I applied. I just said, "hey, I got into X school" or, "I was waitlisted at X school" and people would be like, "oh, I didn't know you applied there" (of course, if you apply to +/-25 schools, that's easy to do). It had the added benefit of me not having to mention it when I didn't get in somewhere. Most people have no clue how long this can take. It was annoying trying to explain to people in February, March, April, and especially May, that this is not the same thing as undergrad admissions. It takes time. *sigh

If it really bothers you badly, ask them to not ask you. Say, "I'll tell you when I do know something." Your friends will respect it. Anyhow, good luck with Vandy, or wherever else you aim for.

User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:24 am

romanholiday wrote:
Then I waited until April before getting into another school at all (a reach), and then until July before getting into the school I'm at now (also a reach).


Wow, that's pretty impressive. I would be a nervous wreck if I end up having to wait that long =/


And thanks... but I promise it's not as bad as it sounds. Well, actually, that might not be completely true. I won't lie... it can be nerve-wracking. But if you are still on a waitlist that late in the game, it often means they are trying to see if they can fit you in without it killing their LSAT/GPA median balance. At least that's what the adcomm that eventually admitted me said in fewer words.

seriously
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:21 am

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby seriously » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:31 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
seriously wrote:i understand my numbers are not top.


Law Schools,
Just let me know if you want me instead of putting me in limbo.

:|


I feel your pain (really, I do)... but you have not even begun to know what waiting is. It is still only February. If you're aiming at or waiting on reaches, well, you usually don't get those in February (or for that matter, March). If they have not rejected you, however, that's a good thing.

Last year I rode out 8-10 waitlists. I have another friend who rode out 10-12 waitlists. I got into one "good fit" and one "safety" in December. Then I waited until April before getting into another school at all (a reach), and then until July before getting into the school I'm at now (also a reach).

I understand that not everyone actually CAN afford to wait it out, especially the way I did, due to personal constraints. But you also cannot let it get to you. Just be flexible and go with the flow. Think of it as a journey. And if a school has not let you know anything, that's not always bad. If it has been too long, you can send a short email restating your interest... but don't do any big LOCIs until you're at least waitlisted.

Good luck with it and hang in there.

-You Gotta Have Faith



Thanks for keeping the hope alive. I need every bit of positivity.

romanholiday
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:04 am

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby romanholiday » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:33 am

So, what do ppl usually do to keep themselves from going crazy during the wait?

My friends have decided that they will smack me if they catch me looking at the status checker too often. :oops:

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby akili » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:39 am

I'm going crazy. I heard from three schools at the end of the month and it has been dead SILENT since then. And of course my dream school is UW and they take a loooong time to notify people. Honestly, I would take whatever, just to know.

KIM_SAYS:
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:16 am

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:53 am

I think I'm going have a premature death before I even get to law school with all this waiting.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby autarkh » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:57 am

I have a running debate with a friend that is going through the same thing. He contends the LSAT wait was much worse, I think this wins (or loses) hands down.

I'm tired of my heart skipping beats every time I get spam from Detroit Mercer.

I hate not being able to ignore my snail mail.

Make it stop!

romanholiday
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:04 am

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby romanholiday » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:07 am

autarkh wrote:
I'm tired of my heart skipping beats every time I get spam from Detroit Mercer.


LOL, I almost shit a brick when I saw that I received an e-mail from Davis...then I realized it was just a stupid FASFA reminder.

millieb
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby millieb » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:21 am

romanholiday wrote:
autarkh wrote:
I'm tired of my heart skipping beats every time I get spam from Detroit Mercer.


LOL, I almost shit a brick when I saw that I received an e-mail from Davis...then I realized it was just a stupid FASFA reminder.


Ugh, same thing happened to me today....torture!!! I especially liked how they made it clear that the email was NOT an offer of admission.

NewtonLied
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: the waiting is slowly killing me

Postby NewtonLied » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:23 am

autarkh wrote:I have a running debate with a friend that is going through the same thing. He contends the LSAT wait was much worse, I think this wins (or loses) hands down.

I'm tired of my heart skipping beats every time I get spam from Detroit Mercer.

I hate not being able to ignore my snail mail.

Make it stop!


Detroit Mercer has absolutely made my "list."




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, Google Adsense [Bot], grandpapy360, Jgats, Leliana, mmengden, mudiverse, pizzagoblin, Question12345, Rio123, tinafeyclone and 15 guests