Schools that average LSAT?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kaydish21

Schools that average LSAT?

Postby kaydish21 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Anyone know off hand which schools put more emphasis on averaging LSAT's than others?

I know GULC explicitly makes a point of saying it averages all scores which does make my waitlist today easier to shrug off.

Thanks.

Nom Sawyer

Re: Schools that average LSAT?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:33 pm

kaydish21 wrote:Anyone know off hand which schools put more emphasis on averaging LSAT's than others?

I know GULC explicitly makes a point of saying it averages all scores which does make my waitlist today easier to shrug off.

Thanks.

The only schools don't basically take your highest LSAT at face value are HYS, with maybe CCN barely giving your other scores a glance.

Roseland

Postby Roseland » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:42 pm

I don't remember where I found this list, but I do remember that the website said they called the admission offices several times and if they did not get a consistent reply....they were not included. The results of my cycle could have been predicted from this list.
o Following is a list of some ABA accredited law schools that :( average multiple LSAT scores (This list is not exhaustive. Schools that did not provide any relevant information on their websites or provided conflicting answers during phone interviews are not listed here.). Please note: schools' policies change over time and you should always double check with the schools before making your decision.
 Albany Law School
 American College of Law
 Arizona State University College of Law
 Ave Maria School of Law
 University of Baltimore School of Law
 Baylor Law School
 BYU Law School
 Brooklyn Law School
 UC Berkeley- Boalt Hall
 UC Davis- King Hall
 UC Hastings
 UCLA
 Case Law School
 Chapman University School of Law
 Chicago
 Chicago-Kent
 Cleveland- Marshall College of Law
 Columbia Law School If improvement by 8 or more points, committee may give more weight to the higher score.
 CUNY School of Law
 University of Dayton School of Law
 University of Denver College of Law
 University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
 Drake University Law School
 Emory School of Law
 Florida Coastal School of Law
 Fordham Law School
 Georgetown If improvement by 5 or more points, committee may consider the higher score only.
 Golden Gate University School of Law
 Harvard Law School
 Indiana University School of Law- Bloomington
 University of Iowa School of Law if a significant difference, admissions committee MAY take the higher score.
 University of Kentucky College of Law scores are averaged in almost all cases.
 Louisiana State University School of Law
 University of Louisville, Louis D. Brandeis School of Law
 Loyola University New Orleans School of Law
 University of Maryland School of Law
 University of Memphis School of Law
 Mercer University School of Law
 University of Miami School of Law
 University of Michigan Law School Consideration is given to each score, as well as to the average score.
 University of Mississippi
 University of Missouri, Columbia School of Law
 University of Missouri, Kansas City School of Law
 University of Nebraska College of Law
 University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Law
 North Carolina Central University School of Law
 Notre Dame Law School
 Ohio Northern University: Claude W. Pettit College of Law
 Pepperdine University School of Law
 Quinnipiac College School of Law
 Regent University School of Law
 Samford University Cumberland School of Law
 Seton Hall Law School
 University of South Carolina School of Law
 University of South Dakota School of Law
 Stetson University College of Law
 Temple University School of Law
 University of Tennessee College of Law
 Texas Tech University School of Law
 Thomas Jefferson School of Law
 University of Utah College of Law If improvement by 6 points or more, committee may give more weight to the higher score.
 Valparaiso University School of Law
 Vanderbilt University Law School
 Vermont Law School
 University of Virginia School of Law
 William & Mary School of Law
 William Mitchell College of Law
 Yeshiva University, Cardozo School of Law
o Following is a list of some ABA accredited schools that do not average multiple scores and use the higher LSAT score. (This list is not exhaustive. Schools that did not provide any relevant information on their websites or provided conflicting answers during phone interviews are not listed here.) Please note: schools' policies change over time and you should always double check with the schools before making your decision.
 University of Alabama Law School
 California Western School of Law
 Cornell Law School
 Florida State University College of Law
 University of Hawaii School of Law
 University of Houston Law Center
 Howard University School of Law
 Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis
 John Marshall Law School
 University of Kansas School of Law
 Marquette University Law School
 Northwestern
 NSU
 Oklahoma City University School of Law
 University of Oregon School of Law
 University of Pittsburgh
 St. John's University School of Law
 St. Louis University School of Law
 University of San Diego School of Law
 Santa Clara University School of Law
 Seattle University Law School
 Suffolk University
 Thomas M. Cooley Law School
 Villanova University School of Law
 Washington University St. Louis School of Law
 Whittier Law School

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:43 pm

that list above is old. davis now takes the highest score i believe...

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:45 pm

WUSTL takes the highest as well. Disregard that list.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:45 pm

kaydish21 wrote:Anyone know off hand which schools put more emphasis on averaging LSAT's than others?

Thanks.

I don't believe that's fully accurate for Georgetown. Here's what they say on their Web site:

"For reporting purposes, Georgetown adheres to the ABA policy of reporting the higher LSAT score. For evaluation purposes, the Georgetown Admissions Committee typically averages LSAT scores. Georgetown may consider the higher LSAT score if you have only taken the LSAT twice. Please address any mitigating circumstances you feel the Admissions Committee should consider."

It sounds to me like they'll take the higher score if you only take it twice and, in other cases, they'll take the higher score when they feel like it.

They just let me in pretty quickly, and I doubt I would have been an auto-admit if they had averaged my two LSATs.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:47 pm

scribelaw wrote:

Thanks.

I don't believe that's fully accurate for Georgetown. Here's what they say on their Web site:

"For reporting purposes, Georgetown adheres to the ABA policy of reporting the higher LSAT score. For evaluation purposes, the Georgetown Admissions Committee typically averages LSAT scores. Georgetown may consider the higher LSAT score if you have only taken the LSAT twice. Please address any mitigating circumstances you feel the Admissions Committee should consider."

It sounds to me like they'll take the higher score if you only take it twice and, in other cases, they'll take the higher score when they feel like it.

They just let me in pretty quickly, and I doubt I would have been an auto-admit if they had averaged my two LSATs.

I had three LSATs and if GULC averaged them, my app must be something pretty special.
Hint: it isn't.

I am pretty sure NYU actually did average for me though.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:49 pm

IAFG wrote:
scribelaw wrote:

Thanks.

I had three LSATs and if GULC averaged them, my app must be something pretty special.
Hint: it isn't.

I am pretty sure NYU actually did average for me though.

I'm pretty sure NYU did not average for me. I think NYU takes the highest if your jump is substantial (6+ points).

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:51 pm

scribelaw wrote:
I'm pretty sure NYU did not average for me. I think NYU takes the highest if your jump is substantial (6+ points).

i hesitate to assume too much about what is going on in admissions offices, but i did have the +6 jump, but it was from exam 2 to 3. threetakers have it a bit rougher i think.

qualster

Postby qualster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:07 pm

finalaspects wrote:that list above is old. davis now takes the highest score i believe...

A lot of those schools, if not most, take the higher score. Iowa, Utah, and many others on that list absolutely take the higher number.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”