Worst Cycle of the Year award

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby finalaspects » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:15 pm

Borhas wrote:


we reviewed your cycle, and have decided to deny you the award for worst cycle of the year. Unfortunately, while your cycle is surely one of the worst, there are many others that are definitely worse. It has been a competitive cycle and there just not enough awards to go around. We wish you luck on further endeavors, and would like to congratulate you on your decision to study law.
:mrgreen:


lol that made me smile

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:15 pm

ec2xs wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:There's a lot of people who would give their left nut to be in your position, so don't throw a pity party just yet.


Numbers-wise or results-wise? Be careful not to confuse the two. I hate elitist bastards on TLS who whine about numbers that most people envy, and it's not lost on my that my LSAT score is in the top 1%.

Still, for anyone who puts some planning and research into their application cycle (so that they have an appropriate number of reaches, targets, safeties, etc.), getting nothing but WL sucks.


I have to agree. You sound like a kid whose silver spoon just hit the floor. No offense, but you'll get into at least one of those schools. No use making a thread to lament the fact that you were waitlisted by a ton of schools that people would kill to go to, with plenty left to hear from.

I agree, it sucks. But it's hard to throw you a pity party.


I wouldn't assume you know too much about me. I've been through a bit of adversity with law school applications. Last cycle before my retake I went 0/6 in a cycle where I applied to several schools ranked in the 50-80 range. My optimism for this cycle was born of the hard work I put into improving my LSAT score and my belief that I presented a strong application package to several schools I'd love to attend. There were no silver spoons involved.

Also, I wouldn't have made the thread if I thought it would offend a bunch of people. I know there are a variety of people on TLS with numbers and cycle results better than, comparable to, or worse than mine. I was just reacting to my Georgetown email and figured I might find some solidarity and good conversation.

User avatar
rorystewart
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby rorystewart » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Borhas wrote:


we reviewed your cycle, and have decided to deny you the award for worst cycle of the year. Unfortunately, while your cycle is surely one of the worst, there are many others that are definitely worse. It has been a competitive cycle and there just not enough awards to go around. We wish you luck on further endeavors, and would like to congratulate you on your decision to study law.
:mrgreen:


LOL

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:17 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:I nominate myself. Still haven't gotten in anywhere in the top 50. At this rate, I'll be playing the WL game with half the T14 and I won't know where I'm going until August. And that's being optimistic.

LSN Results

Does anyone want to try to compete with this? AKA make me feel better about my lack of success?


My results for the T14 i applied to: 2 rejections, 3 WL's, 2 acceptances, 1 hold, and 2 pending. Not terrible, but with an LSAT above the 75th percentile for all schools applied to except Columbia and a GPA hovering around the 25th percentile for most I thought my cycle would have a few more acceptances by now.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:19 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:I nominate myself. Still haven't gotten in anywhere in the top 50. At this rate, I'll be playing the WL game with half the T14 and I won't know where I'm going until August. And that's being optimistic.

LSN Results

Does anyone want to try to compete with this? AKA make me feel better about my lack of success?


My results for the T14 i applied to: 2 rejections, 3 WL's, 2 acceptances, 1 hold, and 2 pending. Not terrible, but with an LSAT above the 75th percentile for all schools applied to except Columbia and a GPA hovering around the 25th percentile for most I thought my cycle would have a few more acceptances by now.


Without looking at any numbers, what does that put you, around 173/3.5? Seems like a decent mixed bag for splitter type numbers. If Michigan and/or Northwestern and/or Cornell come through in the near future, we might be in similar boats. I wish you luck, my friend.

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby Kim617 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:20 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
ec2xs wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:There's a lot of people who would give their left nut to be in your position, so don't throw a pity party just yet.


Numbers-wise or results-wise? Be careful not to confuse the two. I hate elitist bastards on TLS who whine about numbers that most people envy, and it's not lost on my that my LSAT score is in the top 1%.

Still, for anyone who puts some planning and research into their application cycle (so that they have an appropriate number of reaches, targets, safeties, etc.), getting nothing but WL sucks.


I have to agree. You sound like a kid whose silver spoon just hit the floor. No offense, but you'll get into at least one of those schools. No use making a thread to lament the fact that you were waitlisted by a ton of schools that people would kill to go to, with plenty left to hear from.

I agree, it sucks. But it's hard to throw you a pity party.


I wouldn't assume you know too much about me. I've been through a bit of adversity with law school applications. Last cycle before my retake I went 0/6 in a cycle where I applied to several schools ranked in the 50-80 range. My optimism for this cycle was born of the hard work I put into improving my LSAT score and my belief that I presented a strong application package to several schools I'd love to attend. There were no silver spoons involved.

Also, I wouldn't have made the thread if I thought it would offend a bunch of people. I know there are a variety of people on TLS with numbers and cycle results better than, comparable to, or worse than mine. I was just reacting to my Georgetown email and figured I might find some solidarity and good conversation.


I don't think you should worrying about it offending anyone. I'm a little bored of people who say "people would kill for your LSAT score, stop crying!" Yeah, well you got the score and you busted your ass and still got rejected/waitlisted. It sucks, I know it personally. You should be allowed to say so. Putting in the amount of work to get that score and get let down does suck. Not that I'm saying someone who scored lower didn't put in the work, I'm sure they did, but you're still allowed to be disappointed. I support this thread! :D

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:20 pm

If you got Preferred WL at GULC and Priority Reserve at Duke, those MAY be YP-ish type decisions. Write a convincing LOCI and maintain a good line of communication with the admissions staff and you can probably get in and possible get some scholarship dollars.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby dk8 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:22 pm

ec2xs wrote:I have to agree. You sound like a kid whose silver spoon just hit the floor. No offense, but you'll get into at least one of those schools. No use making a thread to lament the fact that you were waitlisted by a ton of schools that people would kill to go to, with plenty left to hear from.

I agree, it sucks. But it's hard to throw you a pity party.


where'd you get the silver spoon bit from? am i missing something?

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:23 pm

ec2xs wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:There's a lot of people who would give their left nut to be in your position, so don't throw a pity party just yet.


Numbers-wise or results-wise? Be careful not to confuse the two. I hate elitist bastards on TLS who whine about numbers that most people envy, and it's not lost on my that my LSAT score is in the top 1%.

Still, for anyone who puts some planning and research into their application cycle (so that they have an appropriate number of reaches, targets, safeties, etc.), getting nothing but WL sucks.


I have to agree. You sound like a kid whose silver spoon just hit the floor. No offense, but you'll get into at least one of those schools. No use making a thread to lament the fact that you were waitlisted by a ton of schools that people would kill to go to, with plenty left to hear from.

I agree, it sucks. But it's hard to throw you a pity party.


Silver spoon? um, what? How does a high LSAT=spoiled? Expectations can change depending on your starting place. Last cycle if I was were I was currently at this cycle I would be insanely happy. This year, while I am still very happy to be in the position I'm in, I am still a little disappointed I am underperforming for what my numbers would seem to dictate.

I support this thread.

User avatar
hotdog123
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby hotdog123 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:26 pm

Kim617 wrote:
I don't think you should worrying about it offending anyone. I'm a little bored of people who say "people would kill for your LSAT score, stop crying!" Yeah, well you got the score and you busted your ass and still got rejected/waitlisted. It sucks, I know it personally. You should be allowed to say so. Putting in the amount of work to get that score and get let down does suck. Not that I'm saying someone who scored lower didn't put in the work, I'm sure they did, but you're still allowed to be disappointed. I support this thread! :D


It's not about scores or silver spoons.

His cycle doesn't look bad to me at all, especially considering the schools he's getting WL'd at.

Sure, disappointment is relative. But all I meant was to give him a friendly reminder that things could be worse, a lot worse, and he's probably got more good news coming than bad.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby Dignan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:27 pm

thickfreakness wrote:If you got Preferred WL at GULC and Priority Reserve at Duke, those MAY be YP-ish type decisions. Write a convincing LOCI and maintain a good line of communication with the admissions staff and you can probably get in and possible get some scholarship dollars.

GULC does not yield protect. With its huge class size, it can't afford to. GULC accepts everyone it likes, including 4.0/180 types who are almost surely destined to attend HYS.

I'm less sure about Duke, but I seriously doubt they would yield protect a 3.6/172. Those numbers scream DNCG.

YP or not, it's a good idea to send a LOCI anyway.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby dk8 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Dignan wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:If you got Preferred WL at GULC and Priority Reserve at Duke, those MAY be YP-ish type decisions. Write a convincing LOCI and maintain a good line of communication with the admissions staff and you can probably get in and possible get some scholarship dollars.

GULC does not yield protect. With its huge class size, it can't afford to. GULC accepts everyone it likes, including 4.0/180 types who are almost surely destined to attend HYS.

I'm less sure about Duke, but I seriously doubt they would yield protect a 3.6/172. Those numbers scream DNCG.

YP or not, it's a good idea to send a LOCI anyway.


I agree that it probably isn't YP, but you'd be hard pressed to find more than a couple of 3.6/172 types that didn't get MVP or better.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:29 pm

Dignan wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:If you got Preferred WL at GULC and Priority Reserve at Duke, those MAY be YP-ish type decisions. Write a convincing LOCI and maintain a good line of communication with the admissions staff and you can probably get in and possible get some scholarship dollars.

GULC does not yield protect. With its huge class size, it can't afford to. GULC accepts everyone it likes, including 4.0/180 types who are almost surely destined to attend HYS.

I'm less sure about Duke, but I seriously doubt they would yield protect a 3.6/172. Those numbers scream DNCG.

YP or not, it's a good idea to send a LOCI anyway.


Duke would've PRed him if he didn't write a Why Duke. OP writes a good Why Duke LOCI and I think his chances of getting in are much improved.

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2780
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby forza » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:32 pm

It's got to be this guy: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/daninreallife

175/3.74 screwed around with his ED obligation to CLS and got rejected from all top schools...

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:35 pm

forza wrote:It's got to be this guy: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/daninreallife

175/3.74 screwed around with his ED obligation to CLS and got rejected from all top schools...



Fake.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:37 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
I don't think you should worrying about it offending anyone. I'm a little bored of people who say "people would kill for your LSAT score, stop crying!" Yeah, well you got the score and you busted your ass and still got rejected/waitlisted. It sucks, I know it personally. You should be allowed to say so. Putting in the amount of work to get that score and get let down does suck. Not that I'm saying someone who scored lower didn't put in the work, I'm sure they did, but you're still allowed to be disappointed. I support this thread! :D


It's not about scores or silver spoons.

His cycle doesn't look bad to me at all, especially considering the schools he's getting WL'd at.

Sure, disappointment is relative. But all I meant was to give him a friendly reminder that things could be worse, a lot worse, and he's probably got more good news coming than bad.


The WL at GULC and Duke would hurt with his numbers, as would the NYU rejection. Anytime you are representing the yellow or red dot in the sea of green on LSN, it's not too comforting.

Mr. Pablo
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby Mr. Pablo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:38 pm

forza wrote:It's got to be this guy: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/daninreallife

175/3.74 screwed around with his ED obligation to CLS and got rejected from all top schools...

That sucks, but he did go above and beyond to ensure his rejections. What a douche.

LSAT N00b
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby LSAT N00b » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:39 pm

The OP scored a 172 on the LSAT so OP cannot be a nominee for this award.

z*z
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:00 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby z*z » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:47 pm

From your LSN: "11/08/09 - Just submitted ED-NYU and Michigan."

Just to clarify, you applied ED to NYU and regular decision to Michigan right?

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:47 pm

DonnyMost wrote:It's not about scores or silver spoons.

His cycle doesn't look bad to me at all, especially considering the schools he's getting WL'd at.

Sure, disappointment is relative. But all I meant was to give him a friendly reminder that things could be worse, a lot worse, and he's probably got more good news coming than bad.

If you're talking about the OP, his cycle looks ridiculously bad for his numbers.

OP - if I were you I'd immediately:
1) review my application materials
2) if at all feasible, mention the poor cycle thus far to recommenders and see if they volunteer any thoughts on why that might be
3) google yourself and see if there's anything terribly offensive that comes up

Good luck!

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:50 pm

What was OP's personal statement like? Did you write 'ass' instead of as? Are you a horrible writer? Did your letters of recommendation screw you over?

What an atrocious atrocity. I feel for you.

mps200
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:16 am

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby mps200 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:51 pm

I would put at least one vote in for this guy:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/encyclopediabrown

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:53 pm

LSAT N00b wrote:The OP scored a 172 on the LSAT so OP cannot be a nominee for this award.


Depends on how you look at worst cycle. Of course, someone with a 2.1/141 is going to probably have a horrific cycle--but that's to be expected. Someone with 172 and a decent GPA can reasonably expect to get into some top schools, and would understandably be disappointed if that doesn't come to fruition.

I still think Kaffee will get a few bites, but I do think he's had a rough go of it this time around.

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby Kim617 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:56 pm

mps200 wrote:I would put at least one vote in for this guy:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/encyclopediabrown

Nah, the 2.95 GPA makes a bad cycle sort of expected.

LSAT N00b
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby LSAT N00b » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:57 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
LSAT N00b wrote:The OP scored a 172 on the LSAT so OP cannot be a nominee for this award.


Depends on how you look at worst cycle. Of course, someone with a 2.1/141 is going to probably have a horrific cycle--but that's to be expected. Someone with 172 and a decent GPA can reasonably expect to get into some top schools, and would understandably be disappointed if that doesn't come to fruition.

I still think Kaffee will get a few bites, but I do think he's had a rough go of it this time around.

Yeah, you are right to an extent, but he only has 1 rejection so far. I don't see how that could be considered a horrible cycle.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”