Worst Cycle of the Year award

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
existenz

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Postby existenz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:55 am

TTTennis wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:Waiting for someone to start a Best Cycle of the Year thread in response.

Hmmm, I vote for Managamy :D Doesn't get any better than that.

Yeah, but that's too easy. I like the underdogs done good, crackberry and Kretzy and this guy.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:56 am

LieutKaffee wrote:Did you sweep the T3? Where are you heading?

He swept life. His profile would make you cry.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:58 am

stratocophic wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
stratocophic wrote:PM Hawkeye. The outing shitshow from a few weeks ago prompted a ton of regulars to make a switch.

Outing shitshow?

Long story, started with a tool at a test prep company and somehow ended up with a very regular poster (the one who indirectly caused the tool to show up) having a few personal things that may or may not have been true posted multiple times when no mods were around late at night. Some people changed out of fear, some for fun.

I had an unrelated reason to change my name; it was more practical than anything.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:59 am

TTTennis wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:Did you sweep the T3? Where are you heading?

He swept life. His profile would make you cry.

Well I remember him from before my multiple-month TLS hiatus. 4.1 from Stanford and a 179 or something. Cool story since he got rejected from a bunch of UG schools and Stanford was his lone acceptance.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:01 am

CardinalRules wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
stratocophic wrote:PM Hawkeye. The outing shitshow from a few weeks ago prompted a ton of regulars to make a switch.

Outing shitshow?

Long story, started with a tool at a test prep company and somehow ended up with a very regular poster (the one who indirectly caused the tool to show up) having a few personal things that may or may not have been true posted multiple times when no mods were around late at night. Some people changed out of fear, some for fun.

I had an unrelated reason to change my name; it was more practical than anything.

Fair enough. TBF, a decent number also probably changed because it was the first time that changing had been common enough for people to notice and ask who they should contact to do it.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:02 am

CardinalRules wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:

Outing shitshow?

Most people did it for fun (like half of the regular BP posters). I would wager Managamy did it based on all the hate he was getting.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:03 am

I changed because people misinterpreted the meaning of the name; in retrospect, I can see why they interpreted it as they did.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:05 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:Most people did it for fun (like half of the regular BP posters). I would wager Managamy did it based on all the hate he was getting.

Back in December I switched from Blazers4Life because I decided if I was going to be a TLS regular throughout this cycle and possibly beyond, I wanted a funner screen name. Now I'm repping my favorite legal flick. I created a brand new account and switched the email address I used to register. It was very tedious.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:07 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:Most people did it for fun (like half of the regular BP posters). I would wager Managamy did it based on all the hate he was getting.

Crap, I should probably change my name too.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:08 am

CardinalRules wrote:I changed because people misinterpreted the meaning of the name; in retrospect, I can see why they interpreted it as they did.

I honestly wondered whether that was the intended meaning as well :oops:

LieutKaffee wrote:Well I remember him from before my multiple-month TLS hiatus. 4.1 from Stanford and a 179 or something. Cool story since he got rejected from a bunch of UG schools and Stanford was his lone acceptance.
Looks like not everybody recognizes the new persona :lol:

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:07 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:In a bit of good news, I just opened an acceptance letter from USC. Things are looking up?

Yay! Happy for that. Come visit!

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:46 pm

There's a worst cycle award? Holy crap I nominate myse... Oh wait, I got nominated about four pages ago. Thanks, guys. A dubious award for a dubious cycle. I hope to be out of the running as soon as possible, but I'll take what I can get.

I don't know what to make of it other than a lack of softs, low GPA, and an unprecedented number of qualified applicants.

*Encyclopedia Brown for Worst Cycle 2010*

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:06 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:There's a worst cycle award? Holy crap I nominate myse... Oh wait, I got nominated about four pages ago. Thanks, guys. A dubious award for a dubious cycle. I hope to be out of the running as soon as possible, but I'll take what I can get.

I don't know what to make of it other than a lack of softs, low GPA, and an unprecedented number of qualified applicants.

George Mason is really the only odd decision you've gotten, but it seems like other low gpa got shitcanned there too.

People underestimate how bad being under 3.0 is. The only T17 to semi-reliably take people under 3 is Northwestern.

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:11 pm

Should remember to read the entire thread. Ha.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:There's a worst cycle award? Holy crap I nominate myse... Oh wait, I got nominated about four pages ago. Thanks, guys. A dubious award for a dubious cycle. I hope to be out of the running as soon as possible, but I'll take what I can get.

George Mason is really the only odd decision you've gotten, but it seems like other low gpa got shitcanned there too.

People underestimate how bad being under 3.0 is. The only T17 to semi-reliably take people under 3 is Northwestern.

There are a couple of 2.95 types that have gotten into UVA so far this cycle. But for the most part you are right, NU is the only real sub 3 splitter haven and only if you have WE. Outside of GMU, EB's two big surprises for me are being straight up rejected from UVA and BC instead of being WL'ed.

Splitter pride has me pulling for you, EB. Hopefully NU or a wailitlist like Vandy or GULC comes through. Or if that doesn't happen, hopefully you get big money somewhere and then pwn at that school.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:48 pm

here's how this will play out for OP:

Goes to USC, realizes how f#$%ing amazing it is living in Southern California where its warm and sunny 24/7/365. Additionally, OP is surrounded by gorgeous women; more than one of whom are very enticed by the prospect of dating/sleeping with a future graduate of one of the 4 best law schools on the west coast. OP grades onto law review at USC lands BigLaw in L.A. as economy rebounds under the new Governor. OP leverages BigLaw Salary into marrying super-hot gf and enters unspoken agreement where he pays for her woman-of leisure lifestyle and in return gets the best freakiest sex any of us can imagine. Then, after this wild freaky sex, OP plays a round of golf and heads to the beach... in January. Because he lives in Sunny Southern California. He looks back years later at TLS and this thread... and chuckles.

/thread

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:51 pm

ram jam wrote:

Yes, this guy wins...

finalaspects has it locked up

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Neelio wrote:
ram jam wrote:

Yes, this guy wins...

He wins worst school application list, but not a single thing on that list is surprising.

mps200

Postby mps200 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Yeah I'm the guy that nominated you...what is GMU thinking?!

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:55 pm

Neelio wrote:
ram jam wrote:

Yes, this guy wins...

To be honest, that's about what a 168/3.1 should expect. Fordham and Notre Dame were both under 50% chances (so a waitlist is about right), and everywhere he applied he was a clear ding. He had overblown expectations and got burned; that's vastly different from underperforming.
Last edited by BenJ on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Neelio wrote:
ram jam wrote:

Yes, this guy wins...

He wins worst school application list, but not a single thing on that list is surprising.

+1. Someone made the fatal mistake of overestimation. It's the ugliest, but not the worst.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:57 pm

just for the record guys... those aren't the only school that i applied for. i still have several more. i only posted up those schools that i got a response for.

i had the money to apply so i figured to throw a lot of hail marys.

jfonz

Postby jfonz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:I nominate myself. Still haven't gotten in anywhere in the top 50. At this rate, I'll be playing the WL game with half the T14 and I won't know where I'm going until August. And that's being optimistic.

LSN Results

Does anyone want to try to compete with this? AKA make me feel better about my lack of success?

My results for the T14 i applied to: 2 rejections, 3 WL's, 2 acceptances, 1 hold, and 2 pending. Not terrible, but with an LSAT above the 75th percentile for all schools applied to except Columbia and a GPA hovering around the 25th percentile for most I thought my cycle would have a few more acceptances by now.

Strange Cycle out here at Windswept Fields.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:00 pm

finalaspects wrote:just for the record guys... those aren't the only school that i applied for. i still have several more. i only posted up those schools that i got a response for.

Ah. Consider yourself removed from consideration henceforth. You sir, are a charlatan.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:00 pm

finalaspects wrote:just for the record guys... those aren't the only school that i applied for. i still have several more. i only posted up those schools that i got a response for.

All right, then. Good luck with the remaining schools :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”