Worst Cycle of the Year award Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BenJ

Silver

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year award

Post by BenJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:44 am

stratocophic wrote:
Dignan wrote:
I don't get it. This person was accepted by a T25 with a 2.3 GPA. He/She was lucky to not get entirely shut out of the T30.
+1 WL by Indiana, though? Ouch. Evidently that story wasn't very good.
Ditto for WUSTL (no decision yet, but it's obviously not going to be an admit if he's waited since September). Apparently they don't accept literally everyone with a 170+ LSAT. Must be in-state for UIUC.

bagosian

New

Post by bagosian » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 am

TTTennis wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
TTTennis wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote: If we look for the absolute worst cycle, we would just need to find one person that got rejected from Cooley and /thread.
Does Cooley actually reject anyone?
http://cooley.lawschoolnumbers.com/stat ... Cycle=0910

They got to leave some people for the unaccredited schools.
LOL, Cooley YP'd someone. Is it YP if they reject? Either way, out at Cooley with a 162=awesome.
Cooley hasn't rejected me yet, but they seem to be leaning that way. I was told that I could expect a 100% scholarship based on my LSAT score, but my GPA is holding up their decision.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:44 am

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:51 am

Chupavida wrote:
Dignan wrote:
I don't get it. This person was accepted by a T25 with a 2.3 GPA. He/She was lucky to not get entirely shut out of the T30.
Lucky indeed. It is a good story (family crisis/depression, not sex/drugs/rock and roll), but at the end of the day it really is all about numbers, and I guess a 2.3 leaves too many horrible things to the imagination. I did wrestle with retaking the 170 since it was significantly lower than my practice tests (and what I feel I'm capable of), but I assumed the "anyone with a 170..." rule would open a few more doors than it did.

UIUC stands out because I visited and had a nice chat with the staff, which apparently assured them that I'm worth investing in. Either that, or they were looking for a new record for the "lowest non-URM GPA we've ever admitted" line in the viewbook. I'm not in-state, and since WUSTL is inevitably a waitlist, will be attending in the fall.
Happily, the only importance attributed to our undergrad GPAs at this point is that of getting into at least one school we'd be willing to attend, which you did. I know I'll be happy to have my slate wiped after starting law school as well. Big congrats on beating some heavily stacked odds.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:04 am

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:38 am

Chupavida wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Lucky indeed. It is a good story (family crisis/depression, not sex/drugs/rock and roll), but at the end of the day it really is all about numbers, and I guess a 2.3 leaves too many horrible things to the imagination. I did wrestle with retaking the 170 since it was significantly lower than my practice tests (and what I feel I'm capable of), but I assumed the "anyone with a 170..." rule would open a few more doors than it did.

UIUC stands out because I visited and had a nice chat with the staff, which apparently assured them that I'm worth investing in. Either that, or they were looking for a new record for the "lowest non-URM GPA we've ever admitted" line in the viewbook. I'm not in-state, and since WUSTL is inevitably a waitlist, will be attending in the fall.
Good luck at UIUC, its where I would have gotten in NU didn't pan out for me. It's a fun campus, just don't get it become too much fun!

I think in some respects being a splitter is an advantage. We know what happens if we don't give it enough effort, and know we have to avoid it at all costs.

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:00 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:Here's another nomination:
19 rejections
7 wl
3 acceptances to schools in oversaturated markets with no money from any of them (american, pepperdine, and cardozo)
Hm, I'm not very good at knowing what "should have" happened with those type of numbers, but I will agree that those results are less than ideal.

njskatchmo

Bronze

Post by njskatchmo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:48 pm

So my cycle is officially complete.

173, 3.62 (LSDA GPA)

Applied to t14

Only accepted at Cornell and Gtown (No scholly's.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:36 am

njskatchmo wrote:So my cycle is officially complete.

173, 3.62 (LSDA GPA)

Applied to t14

That's pretty bad for your numbers, but not the worst cycle I've seen. Did you apply anywhere outside of the T14? If not you blew your chance at negotiating some more scholarship money, surely UT or UCLA would have tossed you something.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:43 am

I like to think of it as "The Most Educational Cycle of the Year" award.

njskatchmo

Bronze

Post by njskatchmo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:20 am

I got WL at UCLA, In at Irvine, In at Umiami.
existenz wrote:

173, 3.62 (LSDA GPA)

Applied to t14

That's pretty bad for your numbers, but not the worst cycle I've seen. Did you apply anywhere outside of the T14? If not you blew your chance at negotiating some more scholarship money, surely UT or UCLA would have tossed you something.

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:58 am

existenz wrote:

173, 3.62 (LSDA GPA)

Applied to t14

Defo, number one thing I wish I'd known at beginning of cycle- apply to places I don't want to go to but that will give me money, get big scholly, use for leverage.

That said, nj, if you applied to straight T14, do you think that came across in your apps, or did you try to tailor to schools and write "why x" essays? I had a friend that applied to all T14 in college, numbers-wise should have gotten in somewhere, but got shut out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”