Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
freebird
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:37 pm

Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby freebird » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:55 pm

I am contemplating sending my seat deposit to BU sooner rather than later in hopes that it will help with financial aid. I still have a few schools to hear from, but judging by my cycle so far I think they will be mostly WLs and rejections. If I do get into a better school I am willing to forgo the deposit, but I do not want to do this prematurely if it won't make a difference.

Thoughts on whether or not this would be helpful?

User avatar
RadMobile
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby RadMobile » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Great question, I've been wondering this as well.

janer
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:51 am

Re: Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby janer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Don't know why it would help. If anything, I think it would hurt your financial aid offer because you've already committed to going to the school.

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:10 pm

janer wrote:Don't know why it would help. If anything, I think it would hurt your financial aid offer because you've already committed to going to the school.


Bad answer. Don't know if it will help, but definitely won't hurt.

User avatar
RadMobile
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby RadMobile » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:13 pm

janer wrote:Don't know why it would help. If anything, I think it would hurt your financial aid offer because you've already committed to going to the school.


Hmm...I can see how that may be, but on the other hand, perhaps sending in your deposit lets the admission's office know that you are serious about attending.

janer
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:51 am

Re: Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby janer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:14 pm

BruceBarr wrote:
janer wrote:Don't know why it would help. If anything, I think it would hurt your financial aid offer because you've already committed to going to the school.


Bad answer. Don't know if it will help, but definitely won't hurt.

How can you say it definitely won't hurt? If you've already put a seat deposit down, the school assumes you're going and they don't need to offer you money to entice you away from other schools.

User avatar
mochafury
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby mochafury » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Will slipping your girlfriend a 20 mean you can convince her she doesn't want an expensive piece of jewelry?

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby Jerome » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:16 pm

mochafury wrote:Will slipping your girlfriend a 20 mean you can convince her she doesn't want an expensive piece of jewelry?

I wouldn't want that relationship.

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:27 pm

Jerome wrote:
mochafury wrote:Will slipping your girlfriend a 20 mean you can convince her she doesn't want an expensive piece of jewelry?

I wouldn't want that relationship.


Meet my girlfriend.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby im_blue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Terrible idea. They have no incentive to give you money after you've committed to attending, or at least indicated a strong commitment by depositing your money.

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:32 pm

janer wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:
janer wrote:Don't know why it would help. If anything, I think it would hurt your financial aid offer because you've already committed to going to the school.


Bad answer. Don't know if it will help, but definitely won't hurt.

How can you say it definitely won't hurt? If you've already put a seat deposit down, the school assumes you're going and they don't need to offer you money to entice you away from other schools.


We're talking financial aid, not scholarships... right? I don't believe thats how financial aid works. You have the right idea if we are talking scholarships....

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby im_blue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:49 pm

BruceBarr wrote:
janer wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:
janer wrote:Don't know why it would help. If anything, I think it would hurt your financial aid offer because you've already committed to going to the school.


Bad answer. Don't know if it will help, but definitely won't hurt.

How can you say it definitely won't hurt? If you've already put a seat deposit down, the school assumes you're going and they don't need to offer you money to entice you away from other schools.


We're talking financial aid, not scholarships... right? I don't believe thats how financial aid works. You have the right idea if we are talking scholarships....


Financial aid is pretty much limited to scholarships for most law schools.

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Will sending a seat deposit help my financial aid package?

Postby BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Sorry... when I think financial aid, I think loans. I.e. FASFA.

my bad.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, darthlawyer, Hopefullawkid2015, katthegreat11, Lawschool305, Leliana, mm2368, patrickkpaul and 35 guests